dish network receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fisherclassic

Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
new england
what is dish network doing. everyday approximately 5:20pm and again at 5:30pm the phone goes off hook then the dish network receiver locks up. Are they uploading private information? Re: what you are watching. I know all about the 3:00am download for upgrades this has nothing to do with the box locking up every day. I did try disconnecting the receiver from the phone and it locked up at 5:45pm. Seems to be searching for a phone line. This has been going on approximately 2 years now. I had dish network send new boxes, about 10 over two years and the box still locks up at approximately 5:20pm then again at 5:30pm. Their tech supports can only read books, I need to talk to someone with intelligence (an engineer). Maybe I should contact consumer protection. Anyone else have this problem??

I've never heard of it locking up at an exact time. Now if it does it's daily reboot at that time ,because you set it , that would make sense. Although I have had a problem that happens Mon-Friday for months after I got the 722k , on the Morning Joe on Msnbc.

For months every day around 5:15am the recording on this show would stop recording. I changed it to a manual timer and it stopped for a while ,then returned. AFter a few software updates , I noticed it stopped happening , so I went back to a regular timer.

Well after months of it not happening, this week it started again . Once again it would stop at 5:15 am. My solution this time? Set manual timer for 5:15 am till 8:00am. I only lose 15 minutes of the show but I get the other 2 hours and 45 minutes. Oh and I already changed my remote address to something else on both remote controls. So I know it isn't a neighbor across the street who has DISH too.

If no one else has a suggestion, have you attempted to pull the phone line from 5-6pm just to see what happens after you plug it back in?

what is dish network doing. everyday approximately 5:20pm and again at 5:30pm the phone goes off hook then the dish network receiver locks up. Are they uploading private information? Re: what you are watching. I know all about the 3:00am download for upgrades this has nothing to do with the box locking up every day. I did try disconnecting the receiver from the phone and it locked up at 5:45pm. Seems to be searching for a phone line. This has been going on approximately 2 years now. I had dish network send new boxes, about 10 over two years and the box still locks up at approximately 5:20pm then again at 5:30pm. Their tech supports can only read books, I need to talk to someone with intelligence (an engineer). Maybe I should contact consumer protection. Anyone else have this problem??

You are not alone!

See: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...22-722-running-bug-thread-71.html#post2097585

starting at post #701 (last page now)

I, and another person who posted on the above link have had the same problem. I have had three receiver swaps, three repoints, seperator replaced, diplexers removed and a new 110 LNB. It is still happening albeit at a different time.

Something is definitely wrong and nobody (so far) has found a solution.

HELP PLEASE!

However, telling posters to click the ignore button so that obnoxious posters' comments aren't a problem anymore is a perfectly valid countermeasure.

If no one else has a suggestion, have you attempted to pull the phone line from 5-6pm just to see what happens after you plug it back in?

I did unplug the phone line and it no longer locks up. I also tried connecting the receiver to the internet (DSL) instead of the phone line. Again it locks up at 5:20 and 5:30 +\- two minutes. I guess the secret is not to use the phone or a router. But the thing is, this is not supposed to be happening. If it was the phone company then my off-hook indicator would still be coming on at 5:20 and 5:30. All indications point to dish network uploading information or at least trying. Are they doing surveys? This may be happening to many people without the box locking up. How many people monitor their phone line? Not many I bet.
If I plug the phone in again after 5:30 it is fine. I could build a timing circuit using a 555 timer and have the phone line disconnect for 10 minutes or so. I do like the phone plugged in to use the caller ID. I plan to do more research and find out why this is happening. I don't like quick fixes, we pay enough for this poor service I would like to see it run the way it supposed to or I want a discount. Thanks for reading

How do you know Dish is trying to dial out?

Are you going through some kind of in house PBX system or some homebrew equipment? If so, can you connect the Dish box straight to the B1 line from the phone company for a day for testing?

My guess is that the receiver is trying to phone home at that time and for whatever reason, the receiver can't and locks up. Do you need to dial a prefix to make a phone call? As mentioned above, are you going through a special phone system?

He probably has a VoIP service and call logs are a routine feature of such setups. I just examined my call logs and I have no such calls from any of my 3 receivers. But I have them all connected to the Internet as well as the phone.
I also tried connecting the receiver to the internet (DSL) instead of the phone line. Again it locks up at 5:20 and 5:30 +\- two minutes.
I definitely do not observe these lockups either. (I've got a 722 and two 612 receivers on both phone line and Internet.) Did you try configuring your Internet, disconnecting the phone, and finally doing a hard reset before this happens again? Perhaps that will get it over a hump.

Edited to add: I also in general do not have recordings set to fire at this hour.

Last edited:
I'm not the OP but have a similar problem as noted above. I have POTS, two 722s, only one of which have the issue. Both are connected to the phone lines and both to the same Linksys router. The issue presents itself either during a recording (not at the start) or during a live event. We have not seen it during a playback of a recorded show.

Still puzzled!

dish freeze

Are you going through some kind of in house PBX system or some homebrew equipment? If so, can you connect the Dish box straight to the B1 line from the phone company for a day for testing?

I do monitor the phone with a LED, if the phone comes off hook the light will turn on. I thought maybe my phone company was doing something. I disconnected the phone for two days and the phone never came off hook. plugging the receiver back in same thing happen again (5:20pm and 5:30) the phone came off hook then the receiver locked up. I did talk to a friend who is a Dish net technician and he indicated that Dish Network does in fact upload information re: what you watch and times, etc. I asked him what time this happens and he said he wasn't not sure but said around 5:00 pm. There is still the problem if they are uploading why does my receiver (all ten of them) freeze. I even tried to set up internet downloading (3:00am) without the phone line. The receiver still freezes. Of course when they download at 3:00 am the receiver is off. I or we really need to discuss this with a Dish Network software engineer. Years ago I had other problems with an older receiver that continued to lock for other reasons. I was able to talk to a dish engineer and they admitted the receiver had bad software but was not going to fix it. They just retired the receiver (I think it was the 522). thanks for the reply.

dish freeze

I'm not the OP but have a similar problem as noted above. I have POTS, two 722s, only one of which have the issue. Both are connected to the phone lines and both to the same Linksys router. The issue presents itself either during a recording (not at the start) or during a live event. We have not seen it during a playback of a recorded show.

Still puzzled!

Thanks for the reply. I never used the recorder, i didn't really want the 722 they just upgraded me because they could not get the 622 to work. I don't pay any more for the upgrade. I complained so much that they volunteered to cancel my contract hoping I would go away. lol. I complained to consumer complaints here in Vermont and they did write to dish and I got immediate results, though it's still not working. They promised me a new box without added fees and no contract. The so called technicians only read and they have limited training. Some of them from foreign countries do tech support for other companies. They do try but are not trained and are only trying to make a living. Some people just give up either live with it or change providers. I want what I pay for. thanks again for the reply.

He probably has a VoIP service and call logs are a routine feature of such setups. I just examined my call logs and I have no such calls from any of my 3 receivers. But I have them all connected to the Internet as well as the phone. I definitely do not observe these lockups either. (I've got a 722 and two 612 receivers on both phone line and Internet.) Did you try configuring your Internet, disconnecting the phone, and finally doing a hard reset before this happens again? Perhaps that will get it over a hump.

Edited to add: I also in general do not have recordings set to fire at this hour.

Yup I did a hard reset. These are new boxes and it happen to more than one. I am a former electronic engineer and computer chip designer. But with out some good information it's difficult to diagnose. An intermittent is difficult to fix, I like carbon trails. The internet connection is fine, disconnected phone and reset receiver. Thank you for the reply and help. This is getting very complex. http://www.satelliteguys.us/images/smilies/smile.gif

My guess is that the receiver is trying to phone home at that time and for whatever reason, the receiver can't and locks up. Do you need to dial a prefix to make a phone call? As mentioned above, are you going through a special phone system?

No, I use a normal phone, well as normal an independent phone company can be (TDS phone co) in rural Vermont. I am using dsl which does work fine. WhenI had dial up (years ago) the lines had to be replaced because of noise in the lines. They tried to blame my equipment but I used a $10,000 service monitor (borrowed) and gave them the business, lol. thanks for the help and take care.

An intermittent is difficult to fix, I like carbon trails.
Urp. As in when the magic smoke comes out? :eek:

As an engineer, you almost certainly tried this, but... Are you certain your DSL filter is installed and working on the receiver?

... For months every day around 5:15am the recording on this show would stop recording. I changed it to a manual timer and it stopped for a while ,then returned. AFter a few software updates , I noticed it stopped happening , so I went back to a regular timer.
Mike, I have mentioned in several threads over the last year that at 4:12 AM MST/MDT (+/-1 min) the recording will stop saying User1 did it. I determined that this was due to having 61.5W (in addition to 129W) for the channels doing this. I removed 61.5W and the problem has not been seen. Others reported the same stoppage (not a lockup) at the same time although differing with time zones. My conclusion: it is the 61.5W.

To test this you must determine if you have 61.5W on the channel before it happens, because if you have both then the switch can choose either satellite and the choice was different on son's 622 vs. both on my 722s, all on the same DPP44.

Question: which are you using 61.5W or 129W exclusively or letting it choose?

I am fortunate in this that my local HD is on 129W. I do have OTA and the only problem is if that signal goes away/low I may get a hangup.
-Ken

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)