DISH Network Software Release Notes 9/30/10

I expected to go from L629 to L630.
This morning, my 722 received the update, and went from L629 to L670.

Yep, that's what it's supposed to be. ViP622's get L630. ViP722's get L670.

...ViP622 - Software Version L630 - New Features and Updates include, New VOD UI, SVOD, GoogleTV, Pop-Up Rework Phase I, SRS Volume Leveling, extended boot (fan off on reset, forced boot recovery option via front panel), Basic remote fixes, favorites list color change, screen saver yellow text update, Misc. updates

ViP722 - Software Version - L670 - New Features and updates include, New VOD UI, SVOD, GoogleTV Hardware support, Pop-Up Rework Phase I, SRS Volume Leveling, extended boot (fan off on reset, forced boot recovery option via front panel), Basic remote fixes, favorites list color change, screen saver yellow text update, Misc. Updates...

Just curious if you have your daily updates to occur during this time. Seems kind of strange that a random reboot would occur in the same time frame every day.
Nah....I have my updates scheduled for 4:00 AM.

My spontaneous reboots since L670 have gotten ridiculous.

Last night it froze during recording and made me miss the last 5 minutes of two 8:00 - 9:00 network shows and my live viewing of the Braves playoff game. :censored:

Eddie mine rebooted too, but I unplugged receiver and the reboots went away. Also, there's a slight lag with the guide button, so give it an extra second or 2

OK, I absolutely HATE the new software!!! :mad:

It is SOOOOO SLOOOOOW and SLUGGISH now.

Also, I checked a group of items that I wanted to delete, went to delete all and it deleted EVERYTHING!!!! I no longer have ANY of my recordings!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I have had this DVR since the 722 came out and I have NEVER made a boneheaded mistake like this before. :rant:

Is it pretty safe to assume that, since I've deleted them, there's no way to get them back? :censored: :river

ViP622 - Software Version L630 - New Features and Updates include, New VOD UI, SVOD, GoogleTV, Pop-Up Rework Phase I, SRS Volume Leveling, extended boot (fan off on reset, forced boot recovery option via front panel), Basic remote fixes, favorites list color change, screen saver yellow text update, Misc. updates

Well I have the L630 on my 622, but I don't see any thing listed for Volume Leveling? What other Mics Updates?

No the 322 will have support for the new Western Arc LNB for use on a DISH 1000.4.

Dish is going to be moving to all standard installs putting in a 1000.4 dish then using the correct LNB for your area (a Eastern Arc LNB or a Western Arc LNB)

A installers nightmare.... talk about don't a ton more work for no extra money.

For what its worth, I can view my bill, add programming etc.. from my 722 now. I believe it is a result of this new software. I could not do this before as I have a broadband connection with a phone line for caller id. It would dial but never connect. It is using the dial up instead of broadband still but it does work. Sure is a lot faster to use the computer though.

SRS Volume Leveling must be automatic and involuntary, because I cannot find an option for it...

The SRS VOLUME LEVELING SOFTWARE is in the AUDIO OUTPUT section of the menu: MENU, 6, 7 . . .

Even though your receiver many have been updated, the SRS Volume leveling software can hide itself until you make a couple of "adjustments to your AUDIO OUTPUT menu.

It IS there, but not unless your DECODER type is set to Dolby Digital/PCM, AND your MODE is set to RF
[NOTE: the MODE selection makes no difference to signal on HDMI cables]

1. MENU, 6, 7;
  2. DECODER = Dolby Digital/PCM;
  3. MODE = RF;
  4. DONE.
Then:
  1. GO BACK INTO AUDIO OUTPUT, MENU 6, 7;
  2. You will have a selection for VOLUME LEVELING
NOTE: The following explanation is an oversimplification of how Dish Network's volume leveling software update works:

The VOLUME LEVELING software works by EXPANDING all of the low level volume to the same level as the highest level of any program. This effectively levels out the DOLBY DIGITAL [3.1] feeds with the PCM [5.1 / 7.1] feeds. Since the 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound feeds have a much larger dynamic range, the standard 3.1

Because the DISH NETWORK volume leveling software basically EXPANDS all of the soft passages, if you have a high-end audio system and you choose to enable the volume leveling software, you will experience a weird volume gating experience as the software boosts the low level audio to the same level as the higher level volume passages.

This will also introduce a significant level of white noise [sounds like hissing :mad:] and other background noise into the audio tracks of both DOLBY and PCM encoded sources.

When volume leveling software is NOT enabled, your system will play movies and other content with wide dynamic audio ranges properly - with the right audio perspectives, ie: voices at the level intended by the audio engineer and director, and a wide dynamic range for the music and effects tracks.

When the volume leveling software IS ENABLED, many people with high-end surround systems will notice an unpleasant side effect in the compression of high level sound data, the annoying expansion of low level sound data - with accompanying noise, and an overall gating of the entire audio experience.

NOTE: Because of the EXTREME level of Dish Network promotions, many of them still come through at a higher level once the software is enabled.

In my opinion, while the sound leveling software will work for those who absolutely require it, this addition is not the best solution, and we will need to wait for Congress and the FCC to iron out the details of commercial volume sound levels.

Whether or not you will enjoy how well this new volume leveling software, should you enable it, will ultimately be determined by what kind of audio system you are listening with and how you listen. ie: are you a strict and demanding audio critic, who is willing to turn down the remote when the high-level commercials come on; or do you just want the volume to remain at the same level as much as possible.

We have chosen not to use the volume leveling software because we find it unnecessary as we do not watch channels with commercials.

I have done this and there is still no option for volume leveling. This is true for my ViP622 (with L630) and my ViP722 (with L670).

Then I would do a hard reset: unplug your receiver, wait at least 30 seconds for the caps to dissipate their charges, and plug it back in. Hard resets are sometimes necessary to assist a new software update in properly installing itself.

These receivers are, after all, nothing more than computers which decode multiple satellite feeds, select the proper transponder and polarity from a specific satellite, according to a channel / program mapping, and bring it all to life in the form of an output format for whatever kind of receiver and sound system combination you have chosen to use in your environment.

They are much different than the old analog receivers and tuners, and have a whole lot more going on inside.

Those old tuners simply selected from a set of frequencies on which the analog video and audio were modulated and sent that to audio and video amplifiers which created an output on your screen and in a small speaker.

The new receivers must maintain mappings to menus, according to satellite, transponder and polarity; properly decode that satellite feed from any one of up to 64 different selections on up to 4 satellites; and decode the encryption security placed on those signals, validated against your account, to see if you are allowed to view the channel in the first place.

All of this is done by mappings, maintained in memory and software, updated each night when your receiver updates. These mappings contain the channel information - based on the authorizations for your account.

After the receiver decodes and matches all of that information, it must properly re-assemble the audio and video; determine whether the content should be at 420, 702i, 720p, 1080i or 1080p [ATSC (standards) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia] determine the proper video aspect ration within the definition status [see: Aspect ratio (image) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia], and keep the audio and video in sync - which is done according to different algorithms, depending on the definition at which the content is transmitted from the source; so it all looks good, and sounds right, when you select a channel.

. . . and we expect that to be done instantly, and perfectly, every time.

So, try unplugging your receiver - FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS, to force a complete reset and reboot, and then, after plugging it back in, check to see if the new sound leveling function is there.

UNplugged it for more than a minute. Still no option as you described. BTW this is a VIP 622 I am using.

UNplugged it for more than a minute. Still no option as you described. BTW this is a VIP 622 I am using.

Then I would suggest doing a FACTORY RESET on the receiver. One of the previous software updates could have become corrupted and that will prevent all future software updates from being properly installed.

NOTE: ONCE YOU DO A FACTORY RESET YOU WILL HAVE TO GO BACK IN AND RESET EVERYTHING YOU ORIGINALLY CUSTOMIZED. ALL OF YOUR PERSONALIZED SETTINGS, FAVORITES, ASPECT RATIO, EVERYTHING, WILL BE RESET TO AN OUT-OF-BOX CONDITION.

YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO DO A CHECK SWITCH AND RE-DOWNLOAD THE GUIDE.

IF YOU DO A FACTORY RESET, PLAN ON SPENDING AT LEAST TWO HOURS TO RE-ESTABLISH YOUR SETTINGS, CHECKING THE SWITCH, AND DOWNLOADING THE GUIDE INFORMATION.

As one of the previous posters stated, it is always a good idea to to a hard reset - unplug your receiver - any time you receive a new update. This will make certain the update installs properly.

With regard to the volume leveling software, as I previously stated, it is not a good solution and, if you have any kind of high-end sound equipment attached - you will not be happy with the result once it is attached.

It IS there, but not unless your DECODER type is set to Dolby Digital/PCM, AND your MODE is set to RF
This appears to be the default setting on my 722 w/L670, and I don't see any Volume Leveling item either. At least I don't remember ever setting this to anything other than what it now.

Then I would suggest doing a FACTORY RESET on the receiver. One of the previous software updates could have become corrupted and that will prevent all future software updates from being properly installed.

NOTE: ONCE YOU DO A FACTORY RESET YOU WILL HAVE TO GO BACK IN AND RESET EVERYTHING YOU ORIGINALLY CUSTOMIZED. ALL OF YOUR PERSONALIZED SETTINGS, FAVORITES, ASPECT RATIO, EVERYTHING, WILL BE RESET TO AN OUT-OF-BOX CONDITION.

YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO DO A CHECK SWITCH AND RE-DOWNLOAD THE GUIDE.

IF YOU DO A FACTORY RESET, PLAN ON SPENDING AT LEAST TWO HOURS TO RE-ESTABLISH YOUR SETTINGS, CHECKING THE SWITCH, AND DOWNLOADING THE GUIDE INFORMATION.

As one of the previous posters stated, it is always a good idea to to a hard reset - unplug your receiver - any time you receive a new update. This will make certain the update installs properly.

With regard to the volume leveling software, as I previously stated, it is not a good solution and, if you have any kind of high-end sound equipment attached - you will not be happy with the result once it is attached.

Thanks for the information, but both my VIP 622s fail to show the volume leveling option using the setting you described above. Before doing a factory reset, I think I will wait to see what others have to say. All other features on both receivers are working fine. For now I am going to assume the volume leveling is likened to the tooth fairy. It might not be real and there was no quater under my pillow this morning.

On a side note though, the biggest offender is E* and their commericials. They could fix the problem without a software update on the receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)