Driod X comes complete with a Kill Switch

Android can do this as well if you have the Backflip. This is not an OS limitation but a carrier one.

Why do you need "Backflip" ? I can send text messages, check my calendar, look at pictures, etc, etc while on a call.

And as you say, the ability to surf the web (actually, anything that uses data), is a CDMA shortcoming, not the fault of the phone or it's OS.

I was referring to the Droid X that was being discussed. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Most of the Android phones seem to be on Verizon, which doesn't support simultaneous voice/data.

mperdue said:
That said, can we all just get back to using our phones and stop all this my dick is bigger than yours BS?

Why? If your tired of reading the thread you are certainly capable of not reading it.

I was referring to the Droid X that was being discussed. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Most of the Android phones seem to be on Verizon, which doesn't support simultaneous voice/data.

Well my phone will surf and talk at the same time via WIFI. This feature of Voice and Data via CDMA or even GSM means nothing to me since I dont drive and surf. I have set to see a need for this except while at home. At that point I will use my pc.

Back to the OP, kill switch is now been disproved by Motorola. This phone will be rooted just like the Milestone. Many folks will only care about rooting to install some apps that will not work without. I have installed custom rom's. Most recently CM 6.0 RC1 for the Droid. It screwed up my phone and I had to revert back to the original .sbf. Since I have a Droid X arriving tomorrow I have not re-rooted and I will likely sell the phone. I will offer rooting to the buyer as it is easy to do.

Being able to talk and surf is valuable. I was able to talk to my wife and give her directions right off the map, after I found the address she was seeking. Wifi isn't everywhere.

Well my phone will surf and talk at the same time via WIFI. This feature of Voice and Data via CDMA or even GSM means nothing to me since I dont drive and surf. I have set to see a need for this except while at home. At that point I will use my pc.

WIFI isn't everywhere. In fact, most of the time I use this feature, I'm not in range of WIFI. (And no, I'm not talking about while driving. I'm not suicidal)

And as you say, the ability to surf the web (actually, anything that uses data), is a CDMA shortcoming, not the fault of the phone or it's OS.

I never said it was a shortcoming of the phone or the OS. I was the one that stated it was a carrier one.

Actually the majority of the Android phones are on T-Mobile which should support simultaneous voice/data.

Back to the OP, kill switch is now been disproved by Motorola. This phone will be rooted just like the Milestone. Many folks will only care about rooting to install some apps that will not work without. I have installed custom rom's. Most recently CM 6.0 RC1 for the Droid. It screwed up my phone and I had to revert back to the original .sbf. Since I have a Droid X arriving tomorrow I have not re-rooted and I will likely sell the phone. I will offer rooting to the buyer as it is easy to do.

YES< no kill switch. :)

I did not see anything exciting in CM6, so I am sticking with Bugless Beast .4; and it is a beast! :)

Why didn't you just go back into recovery and flash one of your nandroid backups?

Enjoy your Droid X; I suspect it will be rooted before too long; yeah, no custom roms, but root would be nice.

Actually the majority of the Android phones are on T-Mobile which should support simultaneous voice/data.

is that still true? I don't know how many phones T-Mobile sells, but I would suspect Big Red is making huge in-roads on that, between Droid, Eris, Incredible, and now X.

T-Mobile has 8 right now available to buy and Verizon has 5.
I know it's not indicative, but at a site like Android Forums, the Motorola Droid and HTC Eris, both from VZW, have far and away the most active forums.

Update: Damn, the Incredible is actually most popular. Amazing considering how short a time it's been out.

Apparently there is an OTA coming across for the Droid X which makes some unspecified changes to the bootloader. Not sure what yet. Highly doubtful that they are unlocking it though, although that would be pretty nice.

Yes it would be nice. You will have to ask your friend when he gets the update.

Yes it would be nice. You will have to ask your friend when he gets the update.

I don't know how you would know if it was locked or not. He has the update; I haven't heard from him about any new features. But he is an Android newbie, so everything is new to him.

I know it's not indicative, but at a site like Android Forums, the Motorola Droid and HTC Eris, both from VZW, have far and away the most active forums.

Update: Damn, the Incredible is actually most popular. Amazing considering how short a time it's been out.

The HTC Incredible I believe is very similar to the Nexus one. It was rooted very quick unlike HTC Eris. Thus gets you a lot of activity.

But the best part is I will see how good the Droid X really is. My wife sent me a message that it arrived.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts