DSR 920 Battery replacement with pictures

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I put together my version on swapping the battery in the DSR 920. This is for those up to it if not talk to Lonewolf since he is doing replacements.

If you decide to do it you will need the 3.6 volt Lithium battery (Mouser and Digikey carries them), a thin pencil soldiering iron, torx screwdrivers, cutting pliers, strippers, solider, a small 1/4 watt resistor and 2 tie wraps. A DVM is nice to have too.

If you want to keep receiving even ITC DC2 it's imperative that you keep your battery good. Once the data is lost from ram in the XC chip, its history as far as we know at this point. Maybe someday we may find a solution but not yet.

Here are my step by step instructions:

4DTV Online... DSR 920 Battery Replacement

I put together my version on swapping the battery in the DSR 920. This is for those up to it if not talk to Lonewolf since he is doing replacements.

If you decide to do it you will need the 3.6 volt Lithium battery (Mouser and Digikey carries them), a thin pencil soldiering iron, torx screwdrivers, cutting pliers, strippers, solider, a small 1/4 watt resistor and 2 tie wraps. A DVM is nice to have too.

If you want to keep receiving even ITC DC2 it's imperative that you keep your battery good. Once the data is lost from ram in the XC chip, its history as far as we know at this point. Maybe someday we may find a solution but not yet.

Here are my step by step instructions:

4DTV Online... DSR 920 Battery Replacement

Something that you might include in your instructions is to slide a piece on non-conductive material between the underside of board and frame. Real easy with the 920's, myself I used some Mylar sheeting to prevent any shorts.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the advice. I added a bit of text for those not good with a solider iron.

nice work tvropro... :up

when I got my 920, I also replaced the battery...

I just soldered in the new one right beside the old battery, then removed the old battery...

what is the resistor for? are you trying to drop the voltage a little?

here is a couple of my pics...

Attachments

• 4dtvbattery1.jpg
    4dtvbattery1.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 4dtvbattery3.jpg
    4dtvbattery3.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 292
nice work tvropro... :up

when I got my 920, I also replaced the battery...

I just soldered in the new one right beside the old battery, then removed the old battery...

what is the resistor for? are you trying to drop the voltage a little?

here is a couple of my pics...

He only used the wire from the resistor not the resistor itself. He cut off the resistor after using the two ends.

Candid

Resistors are a nice source for short hook up wire. Plus the resistor fits really nice in the hole. Also it makes it easy to replace the battery again since you have terminal pins on the board. :)

Last edited:
Nicely done!

Am I correct to say this procedure is the same for the DSR-905, or any other
unit that needs battery replacement?

I gather it is essential to maintain proper voltage to the board while doing the swap.

I've never done one before, but I have a 905 that likely needs a new battery.

How do you test the old battery's condition to know how much life it has left?

I suppose it'd be wise to just do the swap, then we'd know for sure.

Cheers.

All DSR's battery replacement is more or less the same. You can't go by voltage alone as an indication of old battery condition since a ready to go battery can be at 3.6v and fail rapidly. It's best to change out the battery every 7 years I would say to be safe. If the environment is right they can last longer (10 years). Heat kills so a warm climate will need changes more often than say up north. Unless you crank the heat. The thing is once the info in the XC chip is lost it's lost. At this point there is no way to reload a UID that Motorola will authorize. The XC chip will generate a new UID after failure but without being added to Motorola's database you cannot get a hit which loads parameters that are needed to decode even ZK and FP. You can get maps and show channel numbers but it will only search for signal. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)