DVR FWD/Back

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I really like most of the features on my 722 DVR, but I have a question about the FWD/Back speed. When pressing the FWD button it goes at 4X minimum. This makes it difficult to skip through commercials and stop where the program picks up. Is there a way to move forward at a slower speed?

No. And I wouldn't say it's 4x. It's more like 30 seconds, I believe. I find it quite accurate in skipping commercials and being at the restart of the program.

Now the BACK button- that's a whole 'nother animal. Pressing repeatedly will sometimes send you WAY back, even to the beginning. This used to work flawlessly, then was broken during the Tivo suit, and we thought it'd work again after the suit was settled. NOT.

Recommend the skip forward/back buttons instead. I think it's conveniently arranged to skip forward 30 secs at a time.

I never use the fwd button unless I am wanting to go at 300x towards the end of a show. I really wouldn't want to go slower than 4x, but you can hit pause and then press the FWD button and it will go at 1/15 and 1/4 speed before going to 4x with the 3 button press. This is what the skip FWD and BACK buttons were made for.

the skip forward and skip back feature sure does not work as good as it used to, my 508 seemed to work better then my 722k's do now

I'd love to have an option of 1.5-2x with sound. I usually watch DVDs at 1.4x & I find it's not difficult to "catch" all of the dialog.

Years ago I had a Sony Betamax VCR that could play back at 2x with sound. I've tried 2x with sound watching videos on my Mac, but it does seem a bit fast. Maybe it's just that my brain has slowed down!

but you can hit pause and then press the FWD button and it will go at 1/15 and 1/4 speed before going to 4x with the 3 button press.

Actually the 3rd button press takes you back to 1x / play mode ... then the forth press would take you into 4x.

the skip forward and skip back feature sure does not work as good as it used to, my 508 seemed to work better then my 722k's do now

Same was said of the 625's I use to have ... before the whole Tivo thing ruined all the DVR's. Very first time I touched a 722k .. the very first thing I knew was horribly wrong.. I'd hit pause... and then press skip forward (which does frame by frame from pause mode) and to see it jump huge amounts ...

Once the Tivo thing was settled, a new firmware was nearly immediately sent out fixing most of the "trick" modes.. but still leaving a few problems.. (huge jumps when forward/back/pause to play were used.

I really like most of the features on my 722 DVR, but I have a question about the FWD/Back speed. When pressing the FWD button it goes at 4X minimum. This makes it difficult to skip through commercials and stop where the program picks up. Is there a way to move forward at a slower speed?

First press Forward is 4x, press again and it's 15 again 60 the press again 300X.
As said Skip Forward is 30 sec and skip back is supposed to be 10 sec. There was a bug on the 722 where sometimes Skip Back would jump back quiet a way.

The Skip Back problem only happens when you Pause, then use skips and then Play.
Pause, Skip Back usually several times, will cause it to go back a minute or several.
This is a BUG. It has been with us for a couple of years.
I find 3 to 5 Skip Forwards at 1 frame or so each before pressing Play or Fast Fwd
will not make that big jump.
-Ken

Sorry, I must disagree. I can be in regular Play mode, not pause, and hit skip back, and it sometimes goes WAAAY back. Especially if I hit it more than once.

Sorry, I must disagree. I can be in regular Play mode, not pause, and hit skip back, and it sometimes goes WAAAY back. Especially if I hit it more than once.
I agree w/ U it doesn't have to be paused. Just using the skip back button can send you back to the first sometimes. It's very inconsistent as to how it will react. In fact I don't remember a time that it ever worked correctly.

It hadn't happened on my 722 in quite a while, probably close to a year until last night. It happened once, jumped back to the beginning of where I had started playing the recording. I was on the phone and forgot to pause the recording and hit the skip back probably 8 times quickly and it jumped back half an hour to where I had started the recording.

Dish must have sprayed my 722K with a good bug spray before I received it on June 1st of this year. I use those two buttons to the point where you would think they should fall off the remote. This is due to what I watch being almost ALL recorded. They way I kill the ads. I have read about this BIG jump back before but (lucky) have never had it happen to my 722K.

osu1991, maybe it was that large number of hits? Think I will give that a try and see what happens.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)