Early subscriber STB replacement

Vaggeto said:
The one on the 8VSB module.
It does come with a user manual in the almost DVD sized case that has the little post-cards etc.. did you get that?

Yes, I did indeed receive the 'DVD sized case' from the installer. I'll have to look more closely at the docs!

Thank you!

Kevin

Comparing replacement box with old box

I got my replacement box done today. Everything works great so far. I was nervous because I wasn’t having trouble with my old box. I wrote down all the numbers from my old box and compared them with the new. My 2 serial numbers are much higher. Other than that, no difference. Okay there is one. The yellow O in the VOOM logo on the front is a very bright yellow. I compared them side by side and the old box was a much duller yellow. I know it doesn’t mean anything, but there it is.

Geno

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Geno said:
I got my replacement box done today. Everything works great so far. I was nervous because I wasn’t having trouble with my old box. I wrote down all the numbers from my old box and compared them with the new. My 2 serial numbers are much higher. Other than that, no difference. Okay there is one. The yellow O in the VOOM logo on the front is a very bright yellow. I compared them side by side and the old box was a much duller yellow. I know it doesn’t mean anything, but there it is.

Geno

Geno,

how long did it take before you can tune to your locals? I just got one of mine replaced and I am seeing the HD channels but the local channels I cannot tune them. My map is correct but it won't tune to a picture.

I do not remember if I was able to tune the locals in the other box right away.

Sean,

My locals came in after just a few minutes. It did go back to starting up on an unviewable OTA. A front panel reboot fixed that.

Hey, Tarmack. What's with the Zzzzs? Bored? This is an issue for some people, as some new boxes are having problems, and some are afraid they got refurbs. If your sleepy, go to bed.

Strange that mine are not up and went I look at the system settings I see this picture. My 6000u is still getting my locals at 95%. I can see how this will frustrate people not being able to tune to their locals.

Attachments

• MVC-044F.JPG
    MVC-044F.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 153
That signal power number is crazy! I assume you've tried the factory reset. Your numbers look very strange.

You must have your antenna connection connected direct to the stations transmitter.

Sean Mota said:
Strange that mine are not up and went I look at the system settings I see this picture. My 6000u is still getting my locals at 95%. I can see how this will frustrate people not being able to tune to their locals.

My old box worked fine till it was dead suddenly in the middle of Feb. It was replaced on Feb 19. Since then, the new box has locked up three times. Every time I have to unplug the power to get it back to work. I am not sure if this frequency (reboot once a week) is within statistics?

I perform a little experiment.

Box 1 = my replaced box with no locals working
Box 2 = my other box with locals working

So I check box 2 and my locals were working fine. Thinking that there is something wrong here. I took the OTA module from box 2 and replaced it on box 1. Well, short story no luck! I took OTA module from box 1 and plugged in in box 2 ---> no locals coming. It stated strength 0 and quality 19 for over the air. I said to myself well the OTA module is not working. So, I decided to put the original OTA module from box 2 back to box 2. I plugged everything and guess what. Over the air strength = 0 and quality = 19. Damn I said. Now I have no locals in either box.

There's got to be something more here. It looks like as soon as I disconnected the OTA module from box 2, the locals had no signal strength. It looks like there is a something more than plugging and waiting for these locals to show up. Maybe there is signal that needs to be sent from the satellite so that the receiver understands that there is a an OTA module.

Of course, I try through VOOM tech and did not get very far with this. I am going to let it sit for a while to see if locals decide to come up. I see how you guys can get frustrated with these locals not having strength.

BTW, it is not a mapping issue since I have the correct mapping in both boxes. It is not a problem with realignment of the antenna. I have my 6000 receiver getting 95% on all locals.

I really hope that they work on the scanning because this is very impossible to deal with it. I'll keep you posted.

Sean Mota said:
I perform a little experiment.

Box 1 = my replaced box with no locals working
Box 2 = my other box with locals working

So I check box 2 and my locals were working fine. Thinking that there is something wrong here. I took the OTA module from box 2 and replaced it on box 1. Well, short story no luck! I took OTA module from box 1 and plugged in in box 2 ---> no locals coming. It stated strength 0 and quality 19 for over the air. I said to myself well the OTA module is not working. So, I decided to put the original OTA module from box 2 back to box 2. I plugged everything and guess what. Over the air strength = 0 and quality = 19. Damn I said. Now I have no locals in either box.

There's got to be something more here. It looks like as soon as I disconnected the OTA module from box 2, the locals had no signal strength. It looks like there is a something more than plugging and waiting for these locals to show up. Maybe there is signal that needs to be sent from the satellite so that the receiver understands that there is a an OTA module.

Of course, I try through VOOM tech and did not get very far with this. I am going to let it sit for a while to see if locals decide to come up. I see how you guys can get frustrated with these locals not having strength.

BTW, it is not a mapping issue since I have the correct mapping in both boxes. It is not a problem with realignment of the antenna. I have my 6000 receiver getting 95% on all locals.

I really hope that they work on the scanning because this is very impossible to deal with it. I'll keep you posted.

In Chi-town this morning my locals came in after the install within 5 min, subs channels, on one station, "lagged" a bit.....

Seanb61 said:
In Chi-town this morning my locals came in after the install within 5 min, subs channels, on one station, "lagged" a bit.....

I am hoping that they will come after letting sit for a while. I recall that the first time I installed back in november not all locals came at the same time but they started to show up one at a time. Also, that might have been more of a mapping problem back them. This is one got me. Maybe these new boxes handle it differently. Just waiting...

Why do they want to replace boxes that aren't broken? First law of engineering, if it is not broken, don't fix it. I understand the new OS is 5.08 and that is the same as what is in my old box.

Must be a billing or control issue.

Its like a recall, Installs has admitted to me that the old boxes (not the software version which is downloaded but the boxes them selves have a major death rate) so even if yours has not died yet, they are replacing them anyway

GeneWildershair said:
hey Geno what's your signal power like?

At this moment....

Signal power 54

Signal quality 40

but they fluctuate both directions.

Box Replacement

I live in Centennial, Colorado, and installation was in December 2003. The box is a DSR550. I'm wondering if the replacement boxes are a different model??? For the record, this box has had zero problems, and I have not been contacted regarding any replacement. The Voom logo has a bright yellow "O", so maybe the box models shipped to Colorado are the same as what some people are getting as replacements now?

My new one still is the DSR-550 # 487-268-001. The same numbers were on my old one. I was installed 12/18 in Winchester, KY. The replacement was done 3/6/04.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)