East Coast Nets & Showtime UPDATE

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zimmy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
It's called The Midwest
SRL still offers East Coast Networks on satellite W3, channels 600, 601 and 602. ABC (WPLG) and NBC (WTVJ) are out of Miami, FL and CBS (WSEE) is out of Erie, PA.

Showtime will be terminating their services on satellites C3 and G0.
On the bright side SRL anticipates still being able to offer the W5 versions through HITS. Showtime rep says he's 99% sure they will remain on W5.

www.programming-center.net

1-800-432-8876

We would normally get a report on what's up with Showtime from Mike Kohl tonight on Access America but Ralf is taking off this week so no Mike. Glad to hear the W5 Showtime channels will still be around.

HITS is a pre packaged digital cable system for cable companies that don't want to spend all the money running a full plant. A normal cable system receives a signal decodes it then encrypts it to send it to the subscriber. HITS does most of it on there end and all the plant has to do is send the pre processed signal out to the subscriber. It keeps cost's and maintenance down. Thus the term Headend in the Sky. Now a bit of trivia, how many know who started HITS? TCI (Telecommunications) did back in the 90's.

We do subscribe to the W5 portion. If we had a megapipe DC-2 consumer IRD and Comcast would authorize it we could sub to the other services on the other HITS birds that are not 4DTV and 410 compatible. But no one wants to commit to making that receiver.

I get no signal at all on those east coast W3 nets. :mad:
Everything else, including HBO on G1 comes in perfect. :confused: I wanted to sub to them, but if I can't get a signal I can't sub.

I get no signal at all on those east coast W3 nets. :mad:
Everything else, including HBO on G1 comes in perfect. :confused: I wanted to sub to them, but if I can't get a signal I can't sub.

That mux uses an SR of 11.71. The 920 was designed to receive 19.51 and 29.27 only. You need a 905 or 922.

That mux uses an SR of 11.71. The 920 was designed to receive 19.51 and 29.27 only. You need a 905 or 922.
Well that's out then. :rant:
I'm not buying another one, for the probably limited time this whole 4DTV situation has left. :rolleyes: I'll just get the Denver nets instead.

The current East Coast Networks on W3 are available to the DSR-920 receiver. When they were through Primetime 24 on W3-500 and 501 the DSR-920 could not pick up the signal. Now they are through Lorac Communications on W3-600, 601, 602 and available to the DSR-920.

The current East Coast Networks on W3 are available to the DSR-920 receiver. When they were through Primetime 24 on W3-500 and 501 the DSR-920 could not pick up the signal. Now they are through Lorac Communications on W3-600, 601, 602 and available to the DSR-920.

I did not know that - I have the same problem as eurosport84 - perhaps it's alignment?

Off to fiddle!

Thanks!

If you are having problems finding the W3 signals at 87 West, move a bit west to the 91 West position (GB) and find channel 403 - JCTV.
Make note of your dish position and the skew number for H polarity, after peaking the signal for highest quality reading, using the Options 6 4 4 submenus.

Test tracking on your dish by lifting the bottom up and down slightly while someone observes the quality reading on GB-403. If it needs major improvement, you'll have to deal with mechanical alignment of the tracking. Fix it first, then...

Now call up T4. If it's not programmed into the receiver, look hard up and down the satellite names screen that comes up when you call up Options 6 4 4.
Press ENTER when you find it, and select channel 613. Confirm that you have same skew setting on H polarity as was on GB-403. Highlight the Dish Position level and move east (left) 20 to 30 points, or until you see the Quality meter deflect above zero or 1, and a picture from Nebraska ETV shows up. Peak for best quality, then press GO BACK and ENTER to save T4 satellite. Exit and channel down to confirm you have pictures from other NETV signals on 602, 601 and 600.

This is the tricky part....those last three channels are the same ones used on W3 for the East Coast network package. Same numbers, same H polarity. This is why I suggested first positively confirming exactly where T4 is.

Using Options 6 4 4, add W3 in a similar manner, and go to one of those 3 channels. (600 601 602). Confirm same skew number on H polarity.
Go to DISH POSITION mode and carefully move east 15 to 25 points on the counter while watching the Quality Meter. Stop whenever you see any reaction and wait. It may take several tries, but W3 should be just about as many dish position counts east of T4 as between GB and T4. Do the math, be patient, and good luck. Find those carriers, and then call 800-500-9268 to subscribe.
Remember to store the position of W3, and go to G1 channel 3 to get authorization (confirm you have a DC green light on the 4DTV console).

For those that need a hand on the telephone to walk through this procedure, or to find any other 4DTV satellite, Skyvision does offer telephone assistance for a nominal service charge, to get you through this, assuming first that you have signals already working on at least one satellite in the arc. Call 800-500-9279 Monday through Friday 8am to 6pm Central Daylight Time.

Well my question has anyone else that's using a 920 receiver been able to get the W3 channels, so far I've had no luck on any of my receivers and T4 and GB all come in with a good lock and signal.:confused:

I do have a 922 so can't really say about the 920, but that is a way weak sat so it may take your receiver a few MINUTES, caps to enfasize that it literally may take minutes to lock on that sat, so do be patient when trying to get a lock, do as Mike suggested and do the math, you will find them.
When I first subbed to those channels I was way surprized how ling it took to lock on, and I never get quality above 56, but the picture is good, and once locked it seams to stay that way.
Terry

Still no luck...or lock

Tuned, peaked, hunted...east....west...back east...nothing.
Checked in the menu: "Options....6-0-1" and in the channel table it shows "FEC Rate: 11.71" :eek:
...are these really 19.51 or 29.27, or are us 920 guys SOL on this? :rant:

I do have a 922 so can't really say about the 920, but that is a way weak sat so it may take your receiver a few MINUTES, caps to enfasize that it literally may take minutes to lock on that sat, so do be patient when trying to get a lock, do as Mike suggested and do the math, you will find them.
When I first subbed to those channels I was way surprized how ling it took to lock on, and I never get quality above 56, but the picture is good, and once locked it seams to stay that way.
Terry

Tmair, can you go to W3 and do the option 6,0,1 and tell us what FEC rate your seeing.

Again, the 920 was designed to receive 19.51 and 29.27 only. Will a 920 tune some of the other SR's? It's possible, as some people have reported that they were able to receive some other SR's. If your 920 can tune SR's other than 19.51 and 29.27, consider yourself very lucky. Before I got my 922, I had a 920. It could only tune 19.51 and 29.27.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)