Ellipitcal Dishes Coming Soon??

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Has anyone heard anything on when Voom is going to upgrading to the ellipitcal dish and adding the other LNB? I would think this will need to be done before March 2005 so that we can get all the new upcoming HD channels.

Look in your stocking Christmas morning, better yet, maybe Santa will mount it for us as he swings through the region.

jimmy:
VOOM announced that it will add the new channels, not the the elliptical dish to get them :D Just Kidding!!!
If the plan is executed as planned, you're right. The new dish should appear sometime before 3/2005. Who knows, maybe we get it as early as Christmas like Darrell suggested.

Will a 24 inch dish be capable of receiving the new sat? I am thinking yes......

jabroni said:
Will a 24 inch dish be capable of receiving the new sat? I am thinking yes......
Nope. It has a receiving angle of 3 degrees. Rainbow 1 is at 61.5 and the new one is at 72 degrees. So, they are too far apart, and require an elliptical dish that has multiple focus points to catch both birds.

Could I use my original Voom dish for the 2nd satellite? I changed my dish to a 30" dish soon after getting Voom and have the old dish sitting in the garage. What kind of switch would I have to get to combine them?

I don't know about Voom, but with direct TV I was a able to use a multi-switch to combine signals at diff. voltage levels. I don't know if the same would work with Voom.

pmalve said:
Could I use my original Voom dish for the 2nd satellite? I changed my dish to a 30" dish soon after getting Voom and have the old dish sitting in the garage. What kind of switch would I have to get to combine them?
I doubt it would do you any good until Voom programs a/the channels into the STB.... unless you can manually tune in the channels from the option menu... that would be a bummer, if you had to do that every time you change channels...

Impatient said:
Nope. It has a receiving angle of 3 degrees. Rainbow 1 is at 61.5 and the new one is at 72 degrees. So, they are too far apart, and require an elliptical dish that has multiple focus points to catch both birds.

Sorry but you are wrong, You could even get it with a 18" dish.
All you need is a lnb, and buy two pipe clamps under two bucks as my pics show and your in.
The pics shown are for E* one at 110 and one at 119, so it can be done if you are inpatient waiting for a V* oval dish.
The pics are not of my dish they are of pics I found on the internet.
You can also do it with ruberbands.
Who knows if V* sees this they might come up with there own version for a quick fix to there existing customers until they can catch up with their new dish.

Attachments

• Clamps1.JPG
    Clamps1.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Clamps2.JPG
    Clamps2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Rubberbands.jpg
    Rubberbands.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 210
Crestron Solution to manual tuning

voomvoom said:
I doubt it would do you any good until Voom programs a/the channels into the STB.... unless you can manually tune in the channels from the option menu... that would be a bummer, if you had to do that every time you change channels...

I can set a Crestron touchpanel up to frequency sweep the option menu / set another touchpanel button up to record the frequency into a preset, so I could pre-guide implement channel changes using vars

I recieved rain fade about a month ago and complained about it (no argument with Voom, they were really responsive about ordering it. :D ), 2 weeks later I recieved my NEW 24" dish. The technician left the 18" still mounted (nothing connected). The 24" fixed my rain fade so far, anyways my question is:

Can I benifit anything with this 24", use it for future? Connect both? (point 18" at different sat?)

Will I need to have another dish installed?

And wtf is elliptical? Is it a Dish, LNB? What is it?

Any pictures available?

Thanks!
:confused:

If you've ever seen the old Primestar dish that is eliptical. Even the Dish 500 is slightly eliptical.

Lurch--

Here's what an eliptical dish might look like for Voom...

TRK-S25.jpg

OK well can one of you tech savvy folks help me figure out how far apart these two birds will be from one another? 9 degrees mean nothing to me. In other words, will the position of our current dish need to be changed? or will the new dish (in the same location ) be able to pick up both birds?

I'm concerned because I have lots of trees (the current position of my dish is the only clear view).

Don't get caught up in the technology of this too much. When they have the Satellite and when they have the channels I think they will give us what we need to receive it.
My reception is great and I love it. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

The top dish is what voom will most likely use, willing to bet on it!

Attachments

• DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 227

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts