ESPN Monday Night Football is Not so good

Status
Please reply by conversation.
FlyingJ said:
Vurbano, I have no idea how you download those images. I am not saying that the game pq was fantastic, pretty good, with almost all of the close up angles like the one you have up there with Favre looking real good. The whole field angles, definitely could be better. I never saw anything like what you are showing here from any of the close ups, but I agree ESPN needs to step up, I am surprised that they would allow anything but high quality. Maybe there are even more issues than you tech guys know of. Can't see any reason, if it doesn't cost a whole lot more for ESPN to not want high quality.
First off, this has nothing to do with the picture on my TV. Infact when I grabbed the video I was anxious to see if it would confirm what I saw and it did. I download the TY file using tytool from the HR10-250 via USB/ethernet connection, demux it on my PC to a .vob file using tytool and grab the frames with Videoredo. nothing is compromised. The frames are about 2.7mb bmp files at 1280x720p. They have to be saved as Jpegs to reduce file sizes for hosting etc, but trust me, the flaws are even more glaring at the larger file size. If you'd like I can email you a full size one if your email will accept. Ill tell you what. Pick a moment during the game and Ill post it. Id bet 75% of the frames during the game are crap. Did you click again on the Farve image? Its macroblocking at 720p!!!!!!!!!! on a closeup!!!!!! and the wide shots are an artifacting mess. And when they were not artifacting, they were dull!!!!!!!!!! Like under a heat lamp. Your TV's must be hiding LOTS of flaws.

Now the question is... Is it ESPNHD or is D* now HDLITING even 720p?????

Last edited:
Satmeister said:
So which is it?

Disgruntled postal worker?
20-year old K-Mart TV?
or
simply existing only to complain about everything?

All of the above.

Just one example of how wrong you are:

"Now in pre-season, MNF's high-def picture is sparkling, overflowing with details and clarity. From the ruddy cheeks of Green Bay Packer quarterback Brett Favre to the white stitches of the football as it spirals down field, you feel like you're there as you watch the game.

ABC, ESPN's sister network, did a superlative job of broadcasting the game in HD for the last few years. But ESPN is matching it pixel for pixel."

Here's the link - read it and weep:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/kornheiserhd082806.htm

The D* ESPN MNF broadcast was crisper than the local Comcast airing in this area based on the 4 other viewers I had joining me (including a neighbor who ended up watching my D* for the 2nd half since his C* kept breaking up and was not always clear - HE indicated my D* was a better picture, had no breakups, and no pixelation). To no one's surprise, the actual consensus of postings here is the opposite of your view.

When it comes to your persistent negativity, I'm reminded of the dealer in a scene in Vegas Vacation when Clark is sitting at the Blackjack table, lost tons of cash, and only has $2 left. He asks the dealer what he can get with his $2, and the dealer tells him "A Bullet...Wait....I'll see if I can find a gun". That appears to be your solution to everything. Sad, sad, sad.

All that effort to show off your defective equipment or software, failing to know how to use it, or jimmy rigging results to make your negative point. And you say, we have bad equipment...pleeeaaaasssssse. Sad, sad, sad.
LMAO your funny. You couldnt be more wrong. Whats even funnier is that this whole fiasco is only 18 gb.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
So which is it?

D* employee?
13" Tv?
or
legally blind?

PQ was atrocious. The field looked like an SD upconvert. The concensus at AVS is that ESPNHD has gone to crap this year..
So which is it?

20-year old K-Mart TV?
or
simply existing on this planet only to complain about everything?

"Now in pre-season, MNF's high-def picture is sparkling, overflowing with details and clarity. From the ruddy cheeks of Green Bay Packer quarterback Brett Favre to the white stitches of the football as it spirals down field, you feel like you're there as you watch the game.

ABC, ESPN's sister network, did a superlative job of broadcasting the game in HD for the last few years. But ESPN is matching it pixel for pixel."

Here's the full link - read it and weep:

The D* ESPN MNF broadcast was crisper than the local Comcast airing in this area based on the 4 other viewers I had joining me (including a neighbor who ended up watching my D* for the 2nd half since his c* kept breaking up - HE also indicated my D* was a better picture, had no breakups, and no pixelation). To no one's surprise, the actual consensus of postings around the country here is the opposite of your view.

When it comes to your persistent negativity, I'm reminded of the dealer in a scene in Vegas Vacation when Clark is sitting at the Blackjack table, lost tons of cash, and only has $2 left. He asks the dealer what he can get with his $2, and the dealer tells him "A Bullet...Wait....I'll see if I can find a gun". That appears to be your solution to everything. Sad, sad, sad.

vurbano said:
Now the question is... Is it ESPNHD or is D* now HDLITING even 720p?????
Only for you - Oliver Stone would be proud.

Hey V, lets try that on next Monday Night so I can save the game. We will connect and you can EMAIL me the file of a moment we choose. Just want to see if we see the same thing. I am not nearly as qualifies technically on video etc...as you are, but I am a graphic artist and I am well versed in files, types and their positives and negatives. Sound good?

Satmeister said:
So which is it?

20-year old K-Mart TV?
or
simply existing on this planet only to complain about everything?

Here's the full link - read it and weep:

The D* ESPN MNF broadcast was crisper than the local Comcast airing in this area based on the 4 other viewers I had joining me (including a neighbor who ended up watching my D* for the 2nd half since his c* kept breaking up - HE also indicated my D* was a better picture, had no breakups, and no pixelation). To no one's surprise, the actual consensus of postings around the country here is the opposite of your view.

Only for you - Oliver Stone would be proud.

You are taking PQ advice from Phillip Swann? :rolleyes:

vurbano said:
The pictures dont lie Mikey. Youd better check and make sure thats really an apple your shooting at :rolleyes:
Pictures can not only lie, but be manipulated easily in this day and age. Can you say Photoshop. :D

vurbano said:
You are taking PQ advice from Phillip Swann? :rolleyes:
Well no one is taking it from you, sir. Hey, its 8:30 am where you live....aren't you gong to be tardy for school?

FlyingJ said:
Hey V, lets try that on next Monday Night so I can save the game. We will connect and you can EMAIL me the file of a moment we choose. Just want to see if we see the same thing. I am not nearly as qualifies technically on video etc...as you are, but I am a graphic artist and I am well versed in files, types and their positives and negatives. Sound good?

Whatever you like. Nothing is defective, made up, or manipulated. Perhaps HDtvfanatic has also captured the ballgame and can post the same thing I have or any of the others that can do this at AVS. Let me be clear, There was none of this last year that I saw. ESPNHD was a treat to watch on Sunday nights. This year its not.

Satmeister said:
Pictures can not only lie, but be manipulated easily in this day and age. Can you say Photoshop. :D
Give me your email and I will send you the originals. Why dont you post what you claim to be the "Correct" image?

Last edited:
The pic of the packers game looks like a shot when the camera was moving. I watched the interview with palmer on the sideline and it was perfect. You could see the rain drops hitting him perfect. Looked great at 1080i on a 65 inch set.

V, you are watching it on a DLP TV with known rainbow issues. maybe this is why it looks so bad to you.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Whatever you like. Nothing is defective, made up, or manipulated. Perhaps HDtvfanatic has also captured the ballgame and can post the same thing I have or any of the others that can do this at AVS. Let me be clear, There was none of this last year that I saw. ESPNHD was a treat to watch on Sunday nights. This year its not.

Vurbano dont bother with this Satmeister character..This guy has proven over and over to know absolutely zero about anything..

You could have a better debate with a brick wall, or a rock..

Christ, he thinks its a D* vs Cable discussion, he dosent even know what is being discussed.. Hes just here to swing off D* nuts, and thats it..

You wasting your time here bro, this kid is the opitamy of stupidity..

Last edited:
Hey Guffy, do you still ahve E*, was wondering how the ESPN broadcast looked on E* and if the problems Vurbano is reporting is an ESPN thing or not?

FlyingJ said:
Hey Guffy, do you still ahve E*, was wondering how the ESPN broadcast looked on E* and if the problems Vurbano is reporting is an ESPN thing or not?

Yes, I have E*...The football games and pretty much every single baseball game have looked like crap on E* all summer..Same thing with my Charter Cable card.. D* I cant speak for..

IMO, ESPNHD definately has a problem, and they've had it all summer..

I have E* and i would have to agree that in the past couple months ESPN has gone down the crapper with its HD. But on the other side, almost every game whether it bet MLB or NBA or NFL has been in HD. So the question is what would you rather have, 1-2 games a week in Great pq or 10+ games a week in Good pq?

jgags6 said:
I have E* and i would have to agree that in the past couple months ESPN has gone down the crapper with its HD. But on the other side, almost every game whether it bet MLB or NBA or NFL has been in HD. So the question is what would you rather have, 1-2 games a week in Great pq or 10+ games a week in Good pq?

Im sure I would be in the minority, but Id rather have the 1-2 games a week with great PQ..

VIPERS-PIT said:
The pic of the packers game looks like a shot when the camera was moving. I watched the interview with palmer on the sideline and it was perfect. You could see the rain drops hitting him perfect. Looked great at 1080i on a 65 inch set.

V, you are watching it on a DLP TV with known rainbow issues. maybe this is why it looks so bad to you.

My computer has no rainbows. Neither does my TV. The frame grabs prove that the TV is infact accurate. I also have an HD 1080i RPTV. Some upclose sideline shots were OK IMO. But most of it was bad. I remember one shot of Farve on the sideline at the start of the game and he looked ok except his arm looked almost SD. I find it really amazing that Guffy1 and Jgags6 see the problems, yet others do not?:confused:

Even more disturbing is that there is really no reason for the problems. ESPNHD doesnt multicast as far as I know. And D* has never downrezzed ESPNHD. Infact a statement by ESPN stated how they were pulling out all the stops for MNF.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
My computer has no rainbows. Neither does my TV. I also have an HD 1080i RPTV. I find it really amazing that Guffy1 and Jgags6 yet others do not?

Ok thats good to hear. It just does not look like that on my TV, I also added comcast HD this weekend and the PQ between D* and comcast is equal. Im gonna drop comcast at the end of the free offer. But if D* is not the leader of HD in 2 years I will go to whoever is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts