ESPN Monday Night Football is Not so good

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Vurbano, I am getting sick and tired of your logical arguments, your using facts to back your statements, and your refusal to accept an inferior product. Shame on you!:rolleyes:

Seriously, thanks for posting all the examples. I am seeing quality control issues with ESPNHD on E*; last nights Tigers versus Yankees game was just the latest example of a once quality picture gone bad.:(

OK can we see any of this on tonights college football game on ESPN. I will TIVO it, I suggest you all do the same then Maybe Vurbano can do the same thing and download or whatever he does and show us some screen shots. If he can do this, (sorry, don't mean to put any burden on you, if you can't no problem, we can do it another time.) We can see and compare to what we are seeing on our sets. I suggest we limit this to close ups. Let us know V if you can. Thanks. I for one just want to see if I am seeing with my own eyes the same results that are being posted here. Then we can debate where the problems are coming from. Hope some of you can also DVR the same game from cable or E* so we can also know if the problems are limited to a particular carrier. OK I have done my part now it's just up to Vurbano to do all of the work and spend all of the time. Either that or we can just take Guffy's word for it and he can tell us that we are all some kind of farm animal.

Last edited:
The current Tigers Yanks game on today doesnt look bad. Maybe the grass swims a tiny bit but not bad. Just my observation

FlyingJ said:
OK can we see any of this on tonights college football game on ESPN. I will TIVO it, I suggest you all do the same then Maybe Vurbano can do the same thing and download or whatever he does and show us some screen shots. If he can do this, (sorry, don't mean to put any burden on you, if you can't no problem, we can do it another time.) We can see and compare to what we are seeing on our sets. I suggest we limit this to close ups. Let us know V if you can. Thanks. I for one just want to see if I am seeing with my own eyes the same results that are being posted here. Then we can debate where the problems are coming from. Hope some of you can also DVR the same game from cable or E* so we can also know if the problems are limited to a particular carrier. OK I have done my part now it's just up to Vurbano to do all of the work and spend all of the time. Either that or we can just take Guffy's word for it and he can tell us that we are all some kind of farm animal.
Ill record some of it but not all of it, takes too friggen long to ethernet 4 hours of football over to the computer. I want to post a wideshot during the play, a closeup, etc. That will tell us at what point the picture is going bad if it does go bad. You need more bandwidth for the action scenes. Of course if a closeup looks bad then, well, thats just ptiful.

I cant guarrantee the results tonight though, Ernesto is supposed to be over my head by 8am Friday morning. Not sure whats in store tonight. UPS systems in the house have beeped about 6 times this afternoon.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
The current Tigers Yanks game on today doesnt look bad. Maybe the grass swims a tiny bit but not bad. Just my observation

I agree, it dosent look as bad as some of the recent atrocities..

BUT, if you have access to D* Channel 95 I would check that..

The difference is night and day.. YESHD makes ESPNHD look totally silly..

Last edited:
guffy1 said:
I agree, it dosent look as bad as some of the recent atrocities..

BUT, if you have access to D* Channel 95 I would check that..

The difference is night and day.. YESHD makes ESPNHD look totally silly..

Is YesHD 1080i?

Well it doesnt surprise me then. Its just like comparing CBSHD NFL against FOXHD NFL. no contest IMO. 1080i is just more "stunning" I continue to laugh everytime I remember that excuse ESPN and FOX used when going to 720p and its sports superiority. Thats only true if you bit starve it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
vurbano said:
I guess all of these people have "bad" equipment too huh???
You've been on many people's ignore list, but they still can't stand to read those blazingly wrong informational posts. If we're on the ignore list, why do you jump at every chance to insult, debate, and decry the facts - the answer, because its there....

If we posts those who thought the HD broadcast was great here, we'd fill up the board's server drives (as compared to your few questionalble viewer observations).

Yes, PQ is in the eyes of the beholder, and many of us have better than 20-20 vision.

Back to ignore mode.... :D

vurbano said:
Well it doesnt surprise me then. Its just like comparing CBSHD NFL against FOXHD NFL. no contest IMO. 1080i is just more "stunning" I continue to laugh everytime I remember that excuse ESPN and FOX used when going to 720p and its sports superiority. Thats only true if you bit starve it :rolleyes:

I dunno..I always thought that ESPNHD kicked soime serious HD butt in the past...

YES HD is just in a realm of its own somehow..I read soemwhere, and I dont remember where, that YESHD uses some pretty high end 1080p cams for their broadcast..What they are doing is just simply top of the line HD broadcasting..

What ESPNHD is doing is just simply bottom of the barrell..Everything else falls somewhere in between for the most part..

I really dont think its a 1080 vs 720 issue at all...And I even more so dont think its a D* issue..

ESPNHD has just somehow (intentionally or unintentionally, I dont know) dumbed down their broadcast..I dont pretend to know exactly how, or why, but it looks subpar on E* and Charter Cable via cable card, not just D*..

As for all the donkeys that love ESPNHD PQ, more power to you..I could only dream of being so easily satisfied.. Im sure ESPNHD loves the mass majority that feels nothing is wrong :)

Here are some frame grabs from Yanks tigers on espnhd. Frame size still 2,701 KB. Not great but not the atrocity MNF was. Its not quite as crisp or saturated as ESPNHD used to be. No blatant problems like MNF probably because MNF had far more action.

Attachments

• Tigers @ Yankees-Detroit Tigers at New York Yankees3.ty.JPG
    Tigers @ Yankees-Detroit Tigers at New York Yankees3.ty.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Tigers @ Yankees-Detroit Tigers at New York Yankees2.ty.JPG
    Tigers @ Yankees-Detroit Tigers at New York Yankees2.ty.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Tigers @ Yankees-Detroit Tigers at New York Yankees1.ty.JPG
    Tigers @ Yankees-Detroit Tigers at New York Yankees1.ty.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
guffy1 said:
I dunno..I always thought that ESPNHD kicked soime serious HD butt in the past...

YES HD is just in a realm of its own somehow..I read soemwhere, and I dont remember where, that YESHD uses some pretty high end 1080p cams for their broadcast..What they are doing is just simply top of the line HD broadcasting..

What ESPNHD is doing is just simply bottom of the barrell..Everything else falls somewhere in between for the most part..

I really dont think its a 1080 vs 720 issue at all...And I even more so dont think its a D* issue..

ESPNHD has just somehow (intentionally or unintentionally, I dont know) dumbed down their broadcast..I dont pretend to know exactly how, or why, but it looks subpar on E* and Charter Cable via cable card, not just D*..

As for all the donkeys that love ESPNHD PQ, more power to you..I could only dream of being so easily satisfied.. Im sure ESPNHD loves the mass majority that feels nothing is wrong :)

It did have stunning Sunday Night Football. Those days are gone I think.

vurbano said:
It did have stunning Sunday Night Football. Those days are gone I think.

For now..Probably forever since most people are pleased so easily..

Over at "the other site" the outlook is a little different though..Theres alot of early HD apopters and otherwise intelligent/observant people that are more than aware of the ESPNHD issues, and they dont like it..

From what I can see not many people over here are concerned about much of anything when it comes to quality... They are more concerend about being self righteous whipping boys, and quantity..

I'm blacked out on ESPN at the moment, so I can't compare it with 95. Like the many of the rest I have also seen a drop off in PQ on ESPN. I find it to be much worse when they showing HD programing on ESPN and ESPN2 at the same time Maybe it's just a coincidence I don't know. Anyhow if that is the case I suspect tonight's games won't look so good.
On a side note: The YES Network has had HD trucks parked outside the stadium for at least 2 seasons before they even started broadcasting in HD.
Another side note: While the game looked great on 95, it was terrible on 96 (MPEG4)

rockaway1836 said:
I'm blacked out on ESPN at the moment, so I can't compare it with 95. Like the many of the rest I have also seen a drop off in PQ on ESPN. I find it to be much worse when they showing HD programing on ESPN and ESPN2 at the same time Maybe it's just a coincidence I don't know. Anyhow if that is the case I suspect tonight's games won't look so good.
On a side note: The YES Network has had HD trucks parked outside the stadium for at least 2 seasons before they even started broadcasting in HD.
Another side note: While the game looked great on 95, it was terrible on 96 (MPEG4)

Yep, 2 ball games tonight to check out..Will either feature non swimming grass? We'll see...I will be sure to take a good look at that CMU game seeing as that is my Alma Mater..

I bet they both look subpar once again..And the majority here willl swear it was "sweet dude"..

Over at " the other site" they wont like it so much...

We'll see I guess.....

Heres the BC game, its better than MNF. I dont see the same level of artifacting around players in motion as the MNF game. It there just not as severe. But when the frames are played you dont notice it too much. Still not vibrant though:

Attachments

• Boston College @ 1Central Michigan-Boston College at Central Michigan.ty.JPG
    Boston College @ 1Central Michigan-Boston College at Central Michigan.ty.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Boston College @ 2Central Michigan-Boston College at Central Michigan.ty.JPG
    Boston College @ 2Central Michigan-Boston College at Central Michigan.ty.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Boston College @ 3Central Michigan-Boston College at Central Michigan.ty.JPG
    Boston College @ 3Central Michigan-Boston College at Central Michigan.ty.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 100
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)