ESPN Monday Night Football is Not so good

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Heres the SCarolina game :

Attachments

• 1South Carolina @ Mississippi State-South Carolina at Mississippi State.ty.JPG
    1South Carolina @ Mississippi State-South Carolina at Mississippi State.ty.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 2South Carolina @ Mississippi State-South Carolina at Mississippi State.ty.JPG
    2South Carolina @ Mississippi State-South Carolina at Mississippi State.ty.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 119
  • 3South Carolina @ Mississippi State-South Carolina at Mississippi State.ty.JPG
    3South Carolina @ Mississippi State-South Carolina at Mississippi State.ty.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 102
Iceberg said:
a couple of those look blurry. Is that normal?
Yes for fast action. When played wuth the rest of the frames they look ok. What you want to look for is around the images of the players for artifacts.

I haven't checked out these frames yet Vurbano, but, I have to tell you, in between doing about a hundred family things (homework etc...) I went ahead and lit up the projector and I don't know about game 2 but the first game, looked like hell to me. I hate to say it but I actually thought that the MNF game looked better. It depressed me actually because tomorrow Penn State (Class of 82) plays on ESPN at 3:30 and I'm thinking it's going to look horrible. We had some fairly bad weather here but I can't think of any reason why it looked bad here. I totally expected you to get on this morning or last night and say UGH!!

FlyingJ said:
I haven't checked out these frames yet Vurbano, but, I have to tell you, in between doing about a hundred family things (homework etc...) I went ahead and lit up the projector and I don't know about game 2 but the first game, looked like hell to me. I hate to say it but I actually thought that the MNF game looked better. It depressed me actually because tomorrow Penn State (Class of 82) plays on ESPN at 3:30 and I'm thinking it's going to look horrible. We had some fairly bad weather here but I can't think of any reason why it looked bad here. I totally expected you to get on this morning or last night and say UGH!!

So you think something looks bad on D*?(although it maynot be their fault) :eek: OMG im gonna write this day down on my calendar. LOL Sorry but I had to rib you a bit. Nice to see someone making their own unbiased judgements for a change. To me I dont see bad macroblocking in the closeups or as much artifacting like MNF was.

Last edited:
Oh Heck V, don't misunderstand me, I think a bunch of stuff looks bad. My problem is that when I see these things I call my buddy who has E* we both record and compare and I have not seen one time yet, not one time when we both had the same thing that the PQ on E* was any better than D*. These are almost always sporting events, and we both get our locals OTA so we don't compare those, so mainly ESPN. The cable here is no better so when I hear folks say that so and so has worse PQ I usually beg to differ. It may be that way where they are, but not where I am.

I just do not see the images you post V, It might be because my set is "analog" based and covers them up. I do not get the macro blocking that you show. Even standing 2 feet from my 65 inch display. I really tried to see them but they are just not there.

It's a known fact that both E* and D* have reduced both the resolution and bitrate on alot of their HD channels. Many of the comments here are consistent with comments in other threads about picture quality and the HD-lite issue. It will probably get worse before it gets better as more HD channels are added. Bandwidth is limited. Our only recourse is to continue to email or write E* and D* and express our dissatisfaction in the quality of the HD picture. If we just accept it, as many people here have done, it will just become the norm. I have paid big bucks for equipment and pay a premium for HD programming. I expect the best quality picture available.

Thanx Richie, we have heard that to the point of nauseum. but the question here is about the source, not the carrier. D*, E* and anyone else for that matter can't give us great results if the network doesn't hold up their part of the bargain. I for one think that the networks are to blame for much of the problem, how else could one explain the same game being shown on ESPN and YES at the same time and YES is WOW and ESPN is ummmm, ok.

VIPERS-PIT said:
I just do not see the images you post V, It might be because my set is "analog" based and covers them up. I do not get the macro blocking that you show. Even standing 2 feet from my 65 inch display. I really tried to see them but they are just not there.
There was little of it last night. Not at all like MNF. Although the images were not as vibrant and crisp as they should be, you didnt see a checkerboard pattern (macroblocking) in them like you could see in the close up of Farve monday night. You can always see things in the frames far sooner than the moving video IMO. Certain things will tip you off like watching and thinking "this doesnt pop like it should". If you look at the frames of something like that you will find minor problems like artifacting and then you know that the pop left even before those problems occured.

FlyingJ said:
Thanx Richie, we have heard that to the point of nauseum. but the question here is about the source, not the carrier. D*, E* and anyone else for that matter can't give us great results if the network doesn't hold up their part of the bargain. I for one think that the networks are to blame for much of the problem, how else could one explain the same game being shown on ESPN and YES at the same time and YES is WOW and ESPN is ummmm, ok.

Wow FlyingJ, impressive..I cant recall you ever conceding that there could possiby be a problem with anything HD related..And you even seem to understand that its not a provider isssue..Rock on FlyingJ...

guffy1 said:
Wow FlyingJ, impressive..I cant recall you ever conceding that there could possiby be a problem with anything HD related..And you even seem to understand that its not a provider isssue..Rock on FlyingJ...

Woohoo! Guff, today I Rock!:) Tomorrow I will probably be a farm animal again:( Guff, How did it look at your place, was it similar on D* and E*? Once again, I thought it was ugly, (first game) nothing major, no great losses, but just kind of all around sucky.. damn close to SD....which can get real ugly on 106 inches. did not catch any of the 2nd one.

FlyingJ said:
Woohoo! Guff, today I Rock!:) Tomorrow I will probably be a farm animal again:( Guff, How did it look at your place, was it similar on D* and E*? Once again, I thought it was ugly, (first game) nothing major, no great losses, but just kind of all around sucky.. damn close to SD....which can get real ugly on 106 inches. did not catch any of the 2nd one.

A farm animal tomorrow..LOL :D

Anyways, I didnt look at the games on D*, only E* and Charter...I generally dont watch anything on D* other than Channel 95...Every once in a while I will pay for a day of HD Pack and check out the D* HD channels just for the hell of it.. Thats about it..

As for last nights games, I saw the same thing Ive been seeing for awhile last night...Just a really bad overall HD picture..The swimming grass was a just a little bit better than usual I thought for both games, but both games looked incredibly soft to me, more so than usual.. Plenty of digital artifacting, I noticed alot when they would do a fast transition..

You know,after a while its not going to seem all that unusual anymore, or seem even like a problem..Its starting to feel normal already:)

John Saunders did say that ESPN was having video problems during the BC game. Did it ever clear up? I went out so I was having "video" problems of my own last night.

Now I know why ESPN thinks their Monday Night Football looks so good. Its because their college football looks so freaking bad. Last night was by far the worst, it was soft and almost grainy (if thats a word). Please understand I love D* I just can't stand ESPN right now. I really hope this is only happening because its pre-season they may not turn up the juice untill regular season & then we can all promptly insert foot in mouth.

In all fairness, football on ESPNHD used to look excellent; and in all fairness, I am seeing the same garbage on E*. I can only hope these problems disappear (probably won't happen) or FiOS comes to my neighborhood sooner than expected.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
I think the game tonight, nevada and fresno looks bad.:(

Well, well..Welcome to planet Earth!

I wonder what our resident genius Sattmeister thought of this one? Im sure he prob thought it was " Awesome Baby"!

guffy1 said:

I wonder what our resident genius Sattmeister thought of this one? Im sure he prob thought it was " Awesome Baby"!
Thanks for recognizing my genius - yes, it was subpar. Some of the college games use totally differerent cameras for their HD (they lease these often). Despite by distain for anything Sony, the Sony HD cameras seem to do one of the best jobs in PQ. We'll see what the regular season brings.

guffy1 said:

I get you thought the Packers and Cincinanti was bad but it looked nowhere near as soft and crappy as yesterdays did IMHO. And when you grow up and learn how to have a civil discourse with someone let me know, people might take you more seriously. Vurbano cites examples etc while you just think everyone must be Joe moron for not falling in lockstep with your opinions.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)