First Look: Dish Network's DTVPal Digital Converter

BTW, Dishstore should have these boxes as soon as they are available.
Im looking at selling them for $10 over dealer cost. So if my cost is $39, im selling them for $49.
The only downside is that im not messing with the coupons.
I remember you saying "From what you have been told, the cost to the dealers on these things is $39.99, plus you got to pay a few dollars to ship these from Echostar to your office"

I was wondering who is involved in your distribution Sling Media or EchoStar for the DTVPal?
...our agreement to sell this box was through standard distribution channels used by Sling Media. We're a Sling authorized reseller, and I did a lot of legwork to get the DTVPal into my distributor's catalog. Yes, the MSRP was announced at $39.99....
What I am getting at is if you were both quoted $39.99 by the same distribution channel.

Last edited:
Will a standard IR DISH remote work the DTV PAL? Is there a code for satellite that operates the PAL so a TV code can be used to give universal remote capabilities?

are these boxes used without a dish sub??

That's right. No subscription, no monthly fees of any kind.

Now find someone who's selling them, and accepting coupons. I have a coupon coming in July, just for this.

Scott - Thanks for the review, and posting the manual. I have been looking for a converter box solution for my parents, who strictly get their TV from the rooftop antenna. No, he doesn't want a dish - and I've tried many times.
This device appears to be the best on the market at this time, and I really appreciate all of the inputs from the other members on this forum in the HD OTA section concerning our converter box options
Thanks again!!!!

Just a note, I am planning on bringing in my Zenith Digital Converter back to my office and testing things side by side again as some folks tell me that the Zenith is supposed to have a great tuner as well.

This way I cam test them under the same conditions, as weather and other things can factor in which could make stations easy to get one day but tough to get the next day.

One very unique feature that sets the DTVPal apart from other boxes is it has an analog pass-through button that lets you to bypass the DTVPal and let your TV’s built in tuner to tune in analog stations. This is great for those stations in your area which are not broadcasting in digital yet, you can still watch them without unhooking the DTVPal to view them, and in addition many low power analog stations will continue broadcasting in analog after the big digital television transition, the DTVPal will let you enjoy these analog broadcasts as well!

This is going to be key for people in small towns, like my parents. Most of the major channels where they live are piped in on translators run by the County governement, which will probably stay analog indefinitely. But there are at least a few other channels that do own digital licenses. Plus, at least one translator (I think it's Fox) is actually owned by the station, not the county. So they will likely have a hybrid Analog/Digital setup for well into the future.

So that my spouse can watch ota without using the satellite receiver. Due to an accident, her memory will not retain the steps needed to get the satellite receiver on. Its a long story and I will use the box on the kitchen tv and then she can watch tv while I am not home.

Sorry to hear about your wife.
My wife is not really good at technical things and all the remotes she had to use to change from TV to DVD etc just drove her up the wall.
So I went out and bought a Harmony 880 remote.
You set this thing up through a web site and it has setting like watch TV, watch DVD etc. It works really good and I bought it on Amazon for about $100.00.
You don't have to do any thinking to use it.
Just a thought.

BTW I got to add that if I would have saw all this promotion of {site which shall remain nameless} I would have removed it a long time ago as he is not a sponsor of this site. So that makes all the promotion of them nothing more then spam. If I were to let everyone advertise here for free the site wouldnt be here and no one would pay for advertising. However it is my fault for not catching it earlier so I have let it slide to this point. Thanks for your understanding. :)

Sorry Scott !sadroll - didn't think of it as advertising for him, especially since he is completely sold out of the dtvpal, but I understand now that putting the site name up is promoting him in a way. I am not involved in his business in any way - I've never even ordered anything from him. The point that I was TRYING to make was that there is a retailer that is an active participant in the AVS community who has been keeping us up to date on things from HIS end. I went back and took the website name out of all of my posts, and I would encourage everyone else to do the same. Without paid sponsors, sites like this would not be here. Again, my apologies. I really appreciate what you have done for those of us interested in this converter box.

Ok did some testing with the Zenith. The model number of the one I used is the DTT900.

In tests against the Dish DTVPro unit the Zenith unit could not pick up WTNH from New Haven (ABC), WWLP from Springfield (NBC), WCTX New Haven (MYNET). The DTVPal could pick up all these stations.

The Zenith had a hard time picking up some of the stations and had a lot of blocking on a few stations, while the DTVPal locked in the same channels fine. (The antenna and wiring was the same and was not moved in these tests)

The Zenith Unit could however pickup WSAH (IND) from Bridgeport and the DTVPal could not pick up this station.

The Zenith has a number of Zoom options, including set by program, letter box, cropped (which lets you see a 4x3 show which is being setout in 16x9 with sidebars so that you dont see the sidebars), and squeezed.

There are no timers, no antenna pass through, no search and the menus and guide are not very good.

Here are some photos and screenshots for you.

Attachments

• unbox1.jpg
    unbox1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 190
  • unpack2.jpg
    unpack2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 180
  • unpack3.jpg
    unpack3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 185
  • unpack4.jpg
    unpack4.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 182
  • unpack5.jpg
    unpack5.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 190
  • zenith1.jpg
    zenith1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 200
  • zenith2.jpg
    zenith2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 180
  • zenith3.jpg
    zenith3.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 183
  • zenith4.jpg
    zenith4.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 164
  • zenith5.jpg
    zenith5.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 180
  • zenith6.jpg
    zenith6.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 174
  • zenith7.jpg
    zenith7.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 177
  • zenith8.jpg
    zenith8.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 188
  • zenith9.jpg
    zenith9.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 191
  • zenith10.jpg
    zenith10.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 198
  • zenith11.jpg
    zenith11.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 220
A link to his blog would be SPAM he is not a sponsor of this site - I removed
Is this getting a little carried away ? Unless he sells the same stuff that the sponsors here sell, it should be okay....

And instead of killing links to sites, consider this: Maybe enough people follow the link and buy from them and they in turn become sponsors !

Edit:
A link to his blog would be SPAM he is not a sponsor of this site - I removed
You can link to Dave's site. I know Dave. :)

Links to other sites are fine if they have information there which would be of use to our members. The only links considered spam a links to sites selling stuff.

BTW I noticed that your posts were removed from another site last night, sorry to see that. I am of the opinion that the internet is to share information with others, not hide it if the site was not the one to origionaly break the news.

Sorry Scott !sadroll - didn't think of it as advertising for him, especially since he is completely sold out of the dtvpal, but I understand now that putting the site name up is promoting him in a way. I am not involved in his business in any way - I've never even ordered anything from him. The point that I was TRYING to make was that there is a retailer that is an active participant in the AVS community who has been keeping us up to date on things from HIS end. I went back and took the website name out of all of my posts, and I would encourage everyone else to do the same. Without paid sponsors, sites like this would not be here. Again, my apologies. I really appreciate what you have done for those of us interested in this converter box.

Now worries my friend. I had to say something as if I didn't some one else would try it and if I said something about them doing it they woudl say but you didn't say anything about whoevers company doing it in the past so I thought it was ok. :)

As I said it was my fault as I did not catch it earlier.