First Look: Dish Network's DTVPal Digital Converter

My DTVPal preorder was canceled

Well, my DTVPal preorder has been cancelled. I'd very much like to link to the whole notice that was posted by the store, but any mention by name or links to stores that are not sponsors of this site are considered spam, so I'll give you short excerpts:

June 14, 2008

To Our Dear DTVPal Customers:
. . .
Up until Monday, June 9th, we had solid committments from Sling Media (a wholly owned subsidiary of Echostar) and our distributor that we would receive stock of the DTVPal during the week of June 16th. We worked extremely hard to establish this distribution channel for the DTVPal over the first 6 months of the year.
. . .
We understand that this change is leaving some customers with rapidly approaching coupon expiration dates in a bad situation. For those of you that pre-ordered that DTVPal, we apologize, but have no choice but to cancel your order with us. You are free to use your coupons at any NTIA approved retailer. This cancellation process may take a few days to complete, but you can use your coupons immediately.

We do not have any further information about the availability of the DTVPal
. . .
We will continue to offer the widest selection of coupon eligible converters on the market today, and our selection will continue to increase over the coming weeks and months.

I apologize to all of our customers for this change, but again, it is a decision that is out of our control.
. . .
Sincerely,
John Buchmann, Owner

Oh, Miguel, you just don't get how things work here. Maybe if we lived in some godforsaken communist country people could just post store names willy nilly to an internet forum in some misguided concept of free and open communication. But we live in the good old US of A where capitalism rules and fascist site administrators censor posts that mention companies that aren't sponsoring their site.

How ever will PR become a state if you people are still holding on to quaint concepts like freedom of speech?

Rperlberg, who pee'd in your cornflakes this morning?

This is Scott's site, and as the owner he can make whatever rules he pleases with it. As a user, your options are to live with his rules...or find another site which closer matches your philosophy.

The entire thing comes down to the other DTVPal thread (not this one) where a number of folks were talking about and advertising the DTVPal (somefolks even had an ad in their signature)

Thats when it became spam.

We had to edit a number of peoples signatures to remove the ad.

As far mentioning other sites its fine as long as it does not turn into advertising like it did in the other thread. To say I got a whatever from wahtever.com and I was happy with their service is ok.

To say "buy your whatever from whatever.com" then thats an ad.

The only reason why I mentioned it here in this thread is because I could see the innocent mentions start turning into ads.

As always we need to protect the interests of our sponsors as without them we would not be here. Thanks for your understanding. :)

As far mentioning other sites its fine as long as it does not turn into advertising like it did in the other thread. To say I got a whatever from wahtever.com and I was happy with their service is ok.

Thank you for the clarification. A lot of the people posting here have been censoring themselves unnecessarily. Let's hope this puts an end to the "chilling effect".

ugh, preorders cancelled via freedtvshopdotcom, it nots his fault
Charlie F you and your price increase just to fatten your pockets.
clearly this is a case of *ISH Marketing at it best!

so ive placed my orders elsewhere now, i wonder if they take my coupons, since they were already used on my preorder which has now been cancelleed

Scott & all --

Just to be clear, as owner of the infamous "whatever.com," I never personally posted any advertisements of my site here and have no affiliation with anyone that may have.

And yes, your coupons will be good anywhere you take them. We haven't redeemed a single one, which is the right way to do pre-orders with this program.

John

By the way, the postings from PR have to be bogus because the DTVPal is still on the unavailable list. That list does restrict coupon redemption. The only way they would be able to sell is if it was without coupons, which would bring the "consumer protection" question into the mix.

Claude Greiner I was wondering if DishStore was going to still sell the DTVPal and at what price?
Can you give a link to where we can find it?
I know you said without coupons.

Can you, if allowed answer who your distributor is?

I hope it wasn't Sling - nothing against them Dave Zatz but it looks like they aren't allowed to distribute the DTVPal after all from what I have read but nothing official.

I have a feeling you will not be getting a box from him. While not official yet, I am still hearing that the DTVPal is going to be $59...
Scott did your felling involve all retailers who used Sling Media as a distribution partner?

There is also rumours that the initial DTVPal shipments will all go to Wilmington, NC
because they will be the first to make the official switch to digital.

Do you know if there is any truth to that?

Thanks for everything.

Clarification

I understand what you're saying, Scott.

Incidentally, though, I would advise against buying anything from whatever.com! :D
Just to be clear, my comment repeated above was not in anyway aimed at John, a.k.a. mosquito, who did nothing wrong, and is not a reference to his website. Note the :D . . . If you click the bold whatever.com link, you will see what I was getting at.

Last edited:
Claude Greiner I was wondering if DishStore was going to still sell the DTVPal and at what price?
Can you give a link to where we can find it?
I know you said without coupons.

Can you, if allowed answer who your distributor is?

I hope it wasn't Sling - nothing against them Dave Zatz but it looks like they aren't allowed to distribute the DTVPal after all from what I have read but nothing official.

Im going to be $10 above whatver Dealer cost is. I have been hearing they will be available to the dealer for $39.99, so my more than likely your cost will be $49.99 + Shipping.

DTV Pal's will come directly from Echosphere, which is DISH Networks distributor for their products.

Unfortunatly I choose not to participate in the coupon program. Every week in my office we spend about 10-20 hours per week processing paperwork and working on spreadsheets to make sure we get properly paid from Dish Network. For a DISH Network deal I make a few hundred dollars on each one, so its worth paying a girl in my office to track the stuff. For less than $10 in profit, with the potential to loose $40, its not worth it.

Thanks for the update Claude.

Once you start selling you might want to give us all an update and post a link.
I am sure there will still be people looking for these who have had coupons expire.

If you eMail TR40@slingmedia.com it now has the following at the end.
The DTVPal (TR-40) and TR-50 are now ONLY available through the DISH Network Sales organization. To receive updates as information becomes available, please sign up for their analog to digital newsletter.
What are some NTIA participating retailers that are also part of the DISH Network Sales organization?

Just to be clear, my comment repeated above was not in anyway aimed at John, a.k.a. mosquito, who did nothing wrong, and is not a reference to his website. Note the :D . . . If you click the bold whatever.com link, you will see what I was getting at.

I caught your joke and thought it was pretty funny. I too would not advise anyone to order anything from whatever.com!

Huh? Puerto Rico?

Like that Michael P.R. 51 state

:)I brought mine in WalMart in Bayamon they had two pallets of TV converter on Monday!

Where can I purchase one of these Dish digital converters for $59.00? In PUerto Rico stores cannot keep up with demand ..They are selling like hotcakes ...please somebody tell me where I can buy this item on the web !! Send me A private IM .....THANKS in ADVANCE ,

Can anyone confirm this Wal-Mart Puerto Rico story?

I'm going to be $10 above whatever Dealer cost is.

Can't make a living that way. You're only selling these things as a service, not as a way of paying the bills. Maybe it'll bring you other business, to make it worth your while.

As soon as you'll take orders/pre-orders for the TR50, please post it prominently. I'll order one immediately, and probably another one or two later.

Does DTVPal have any vent holes (any thermal problems?) and what's deal about the flashes of advertisements for Dish Network?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts