First Look: Dish Network's DTVPal Digital Converter

The SKU still seems to be active in their system, however; if you go to the cached version of the website page for DTVPal and add it to the cart, it still goes in. Probably just a glitch in their website, but who knows? Anyone been cancelled by them?

It is still on the solidsignal web site!

DTVPal available for preorder (without coupon) after all

The SKU still seems to be active in their system, however; if you go to the cached version of the website page for DTVPal and add it to the cart, it still goes in. Probably just a glitch in their website, but who knows? Anyone been cancelled by them?

Interesting; the old page I had a URL ending in "prod_display.asp?PROD=DTVPAL-TR40". Then, when I checked that URL it no longer worked, and I searched various ways and it was definitely gone under all possible names. Now it is back with the URL ending "prod_display.asp?PROD=DTVPAL" (no more "-TR40").

I'll retract my updates above if needed, but I can't take the time at the moment. (It seemed safe to mention the vendor when they weren't carrying it.)

UPDATE: Over at avsforum.com, N8YWF also found that the site "removed the DTVPal from their website" and "Bill R (#2)" said he "called them about that and was told that they are no longer taking pre-orders for the DTVPal." So something strange was going on this morning. But that has all apparently been reversed, the preorder (without coupon) page is up now (with a new URL), and stock is expected the week of the "23th," just as it was before.

I'll just repost the retracted version of the summary below.

Last edited:
Scott, could you post the FCC ID on the bottom of the DTVPal? I'd like to find out what's under the hood...

What we know and don't know about DTVPal availability (Updated)

Now that once again there is an online retailer taking preorders for DTVPal (without coupon), and that retailer thinks it will have it in stock [STRIKE]the week of "June 23th"[/STRIKE] sometime in July (and sell it with coupons at that time), I'm retracting some updates and reposting this, with some new info added:
UPDATE 6/19 - Now pushed back at retailers to at least July, although DTVPal.com still says late June. (My coupons expire July 2!)

What we know about DTVPal availability:
  • A certain quantity of the final product in the final packaging has been manufactured; presumably the first (possibly very small) production run is complete and sitting in the U.S. somewhere.
  • At least 3 reviewers have seen this final product: Scott, Dave Zatz, and CNet.
  • Many DISH CSRs have still been given little new information and either still say it's "$40 and will be available this month (June)" or say "we may have more information and/or start selling it by phone in late July." (We know that they don't know.)
  • Many DISH equipment sellers like local RadioShack stores haven't even heard of it yet. (Again, we know that they don't know.)
What we don't know (speculation):
  • NEW 6/19: If DISH will initially sell only to their existing customers (as one CSR stated), that is, their customers that don't or can't get locals from DISH, and those that have additional TVs, VCRs, etc., that are not connected to DISH equipment.
  • If there will be online ordering at DTVPal.com, a.k.a. dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/ (or what the "Order" button there might do differently once the item is available for sale).
  • If DISH will be able to accept coupons for direct-to-consumer sales, whether by phone or online. (DISH/dtvpal.com are not appearing on NTIA-approved retailer list yet, but that may just be on hold until sales start.)
  • If the online stores that now think a shipment is coming in [STRIKE]June[/STRIKE] July are being deceived or misled, just like previous ones were.
  • If DISH is holding everything back because it's trying to first work out a deal with a big chain, such as Target, or if they're waiting on NTIA approval as a retailer and/or preparing a DTVPal pack-and-ship operation to sell it themselves, and don't want to let other retailers get a head start before their own direct sales can begin. - added 6/19
  • If DISH is going to make enough of these to satisfy demand, or if it will shut down the manufacturing at some point hoping that frustrated people who, for example, envy their friend's DTVPal but couldn't get one themselves, will order DISH satellite service instead.
  • If a different $40 box will really come out, or if the talk of that is just to obscure a "secret plan" to drop the $60 box back to $40 retail once demand starts dropping off at $60. (This would be nothing unusual for technology; remember what happened with iPhone pricing, for example.)
6/18: Confusing clues that don't neatly fall into the know or don't know categories:
  • One online retailer currently taking orders for the DTVPal lists it as its only "Echostar" product, and does not include it with its "DISH Network" products, despite the prominent display of the DISH Network logo and name on the reviewed DTVPals, in their menus, and on their packaging. This may be due to outdated branding information, or intentional to keep it separate from satellite products, or it could be a hint that there is still a bigger mixup at this retailer.
  • Another (non-coupon) online retailer currently is taking preorders for the "Sling Media TR-40" at $39.99, displaying the old case design (although its Mfr. Part # is "ECHOSTARDTVPAL"). This most likely means this retailer has old photos and information, but there's a very slim chance that this could mean that Sling Media is coming out with a product functionally similar to the DTVPal, but housed in the case design that had been seen at trade shows before the DTVPal case design became public, and also a very slim chance that this could be the "second box", i.e., the "$40 box," that has been mentioned.
6/18: I think, at this point, we also "know" that when people call DISH's 800 number (as displayed by the DTVPal), needing some help, the DISH rep will try to sell them satellite service. But that has nothing to do with availability, so it's not in the lists above. :D

Please comment if I've missed some important knowns or unknowns or if you have any more information.

Final updates, 6/19:
Info from a fairly high-up DISH executive here.
Info from a DISH "live retailer chat" here.
The "final speculation" (by me, anyway) here.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by Echosphere Resolution Thank you for your inquiry.
All of this will be cleared up in the Retailer Chat this week.
Full details on MSRP as well as Retailer pricing is scheduled to be officially announced.
This is also an important known, that Echosphere intends to clear up the confusion in a retailer chat, this week, and to officially announce full details of MSRP and retailer pricing. That leaves them 2 days.

Anybody know what day the retailer chat is?
This morning, a friend of mine watched to see if it was today.
No, they played the chat from middle of last month.
But somewhere along the promo between shows, he thought they said there would be a new chat tomorrow, the 19th.
Consider it unconfirmed info.

UPDATE: I checked back to find out why he thought the chat was tomorrow.
Apparently, the guide says LIVE Retailer Chat tomorrow morning.
There ya go. - :up

Last edited:
Lack of information = secrecy or apathy?

Regarding the lack of DTVPal information (at first, the details of the product itself, until we finally got a few reviews, and now, the continuing lack of info on when and where it will be available):

It's hard to tell if this dearth of information is because there is intentional secrecy in an attempt to build up some anticipation and interest, OR if most DISH personnel have complete apathy for this product and it's just a "don't know and don't care" kind of thing.

Building up anticipation works for Apple, but avid Apple customers know they can watch a Steve Jobs keynote speech that will answer their questions when the time for secrecy is over (including product info AND release dates). I don't know if a "retailer chat" will serve that purpose for us, but let's hope that it comes close. (Apple also puts full info on their website immediately after a keynote is over; I won't hold my breath for the same at DTVPal.com.)

I hope one question asked in the retailer chat is "How many DTVPals does DISH expect to sell overall?" Any answer that doesn't completely evade the question would be very revealing in terms of how serious DISH is about the product, and how hard it may be to get. (But even if covered during the chat, maybe that answer would stay secret?)

I suppose it could be a combination of secrecy and apathy: The few people who know things have been required to keep them secret. Everyone else connected to DISH doesn't really care about a low-margin, non-satellite product.

Help with 722

dammit my HDMI went out on my 211

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts