First Look: Dish Network's DTVPal Digital Converter

Oops

I goofed. Waiting for Dish converter, I thought my coupon cards expired on the 26th but it was the 23rd, guess I'm SOL.

That domain is registered to a person or company who's hiding behind Network Solution... Dish Network or Echostar provide their full contact information for their real websites.

You're right. I "shazou'ed" the site and came up with this:

GeoIp: Server Location
Server: dishnetworktr40.com
IP Address: 205.178.145.65
Organization: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC
City, State: Herndon, VA

WhoIs: Domain Owner
Organization Name: Network Solutions, LLC
Address: 13861 Sunrise Valley Drive
City, State: Herndon, VA
Postal Code: 20171

This seems way too bizarre, but could the DISH sales reps that answer through their main number (1-800-333-3474), with their commission system and sales quotas, actually be allowed to set their own prices, or at least set their own shipping prices?

Here's how I see it. If someone has not been sufficiently trained and does not have the information on their computer, they have only 2 courses of action:

1) Say "I don't know".
2) Lie.

Personally, I hate salesmen. I wouldn't believe a salesman if he told me it was a hot day in August.

Last edited:
Just got a call from Claude at DishStore.NET he has 25 boxes on order and they should be in tomorrow. Only issue is he does not take the government coupon.

what's the MSRP?

It would be interesting to see what Claude says the real MSRP is.
(Because I consider him a truthful source)

I can't believe Dish Network is still playing with the 'truth' this close to delivery of the product.
We'll know by the end of the week just how stupid they think the public really is.
The stated purpose of the DTVpal, in the recent dealer chat, was to give 'em something to draw in potential satellite customers.
The way this is shaping up, it's going to backfire on them.
I blame it all on favorable reviews! - :D

. . . or maybe we (those of us on forums like this, who have a clue) are vastly outnumbered by the great unwashed, and we will have no statistical significance in the long run . . .
I'm beginning to feel like a minority already - :eek:

edit: after a calm re-think, I'll offer these possibilities
1) SS will blame their web designer for getting the MSRP wrong
2) this is a marketing ploy to see who'd still pay up for a DTVpal at this outrageous price
If it had a working IR-blaster to turn on your VCR/DVDrecorder when your show came up, that might make the difference to some.

Last edited:
DTVPal -- not for the "middle" class?

. . . or maybe we (those of us on forums like this, who have a clue) are vastly outnumbered by the great unwashed, and we will have no statistical significance in the long run . . .
I'm beginning to feel like a minority already - :eek:

I expect the people who end up with a DTVPal or another good converter box will come mainly from two opposite ends of the spectrum:

1) The "clueless" that ask for help, or are offered help, by the "technology guy" among their friends and relatives.
2) The "technology guys (and girls)" themselves, if they have a need for such a box or want to play around with one.

All the "in-betweeners" that just understand enough to think "well, I better go to Wal-Mart and pick up one of those boxes" -- those are the ones that will be stuck with whatever happens to be sitting on the shelves.

...But, probably more than half of those in-betweeners know how to search for reviews and discussions on the internet, so if it occurs to them to do that, even some of them may also go for the DTVPal, even if they just take a brief "lurk" at the forums. :)

(Of course, widespread use of the DTVPal still depends on widespread AVAILABILITY!)

~~~ no progress to report yet on my July 2 coupons ~~~

Here's how I see it. If someone has not been sufficiently trained and does not have the information on their computer, they have only 2 courses of action:

1) Say "I don't know".
2) Lie.

Personally, I hate salesmen. I wouldn't believe a salesman if he told me it was a hot day in August.

Or so many of us have called them asking about the DTVPal that they just say anything to get us off the phone.

And of course, the first thing I was asked, "are you a current Dish customer?".
What I should have then asked is, " Will I get a different answer about the DTVPal if I am?"

By the way, The response I got was "we have no information about this item yet sir".

Last edited:
i still believe that the majority of folks that NEED these boxes, don't have, or understand, the internet. I might could be worng, but i really, really don't think so.

A secret theory

I have a theory about what is causing the current delay, but I don't want to say what it is.

Basically, I think DISH is trying to get "P" ready before it throws the switch on "W".

(I could have used "A" and "B", but I'll tease you with a clue.)

Of course, another reason to NOT give my theory is EVERYONE IS SICK OF THEORIES!

At this point we ALL just want someone to post "I placed an order for DTVPal with DISH!" (Or at least, that's my theory about what we all want.) :)

If you have to choose between a computer and a TV. . .

i still believe that the majority of folks that NEED these boxes, don't have, or understand, the internet. I might could be worng, but i really, really don't think so.
On the other hand, internet access is more of a necessity than a new TV if you have kids in school. A lot of people on tight budgets may have a new computer and an old TV. Or at least an old VCR.

I'm talking about people that have OTA TV + dial-up internet, or OTA TV + cheap DSL, etc., and are avoiding the expense of cable or satellite for TV and internet. You can't say someone who has been using dial-up for, say 10 years, doesn't understand the internet. They might not understand Google Maps or YouTube :D

Last edited:
The libraries are filled with kids doing their homework on library computers. I know, my wife runs one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)