First Look: Dish Network's DTVPal Digital Converter

Just got this in my inbox:

Industry Favorite DTVPal(TM) Digital-to-Analog Converter Boxes From DISH Network Now Available
CNET's Top Choice for Digital Converter Boxes*
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., June 26, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the digital transition leader, today announced that its DTVPal(TM) digital-to-analog converter box is available for purchase nationwide at DTVPAL.COM or by calling 1-888-638-9912.
(Photo: Newscom Search)

The DTVPal qualifies for the National Telecommunications and Information Administration's TV Converter Box Coupon Program; coupons may be ordered by visiting http://www.dtv2009.gov. Consumers can purchase the converter box for $19.99 after the $40 government coupon is applied; MSRP for the DTVPal is $59.99.
The DTVPal by DISH Network was deemed a "top choice" by CNET, and is the only converter box that comes with a nationwide customer care and service network to facilitate installation, including knowledgeable, multilingual agents and technicians trained in the digital transition.

"The DTVPal is supported by a trusted and respected national brand -- DISH Network -- and is without question one of the best and most affordable converter boxes on the market today," said Tom Stingley, executive vice president of Sales and Distribution for DISH Network. "As a leader in all-digital television for more than 12 years, we understand the benefits of digital TV, and we are committed to providing solutions for consumers affected by the upcoming transition so they may continue to enjoy their favorite TV programming."

The feature-rich DTVPal is one way for consumers to experience DISH Network's industry-leading and award-winning technology at an attractive price. The DTVPal is only one of a few converter boxes that includes a unique analog pass-through feature, which means it can take both analog and digital signals -- ideal for all consumers, as many stations are low-power and are not required to switch to digital broadcasts by 2009.
Additional components include an easy-to-follow setup wizard, a best in class* electronic program guide with up to seven days of program listings, parental controls, program search, auto tune timers for program recording on a connected VCR, closed caption support, a remote control, and signal strength screen pop-ups that can troubleshoot lost signals.

Consumers can also prepare for the digital transition by subscribing to pay television. DISH Network offers the best value in entertainment with the lowest all-digital price every day, along with unmatched technology and award-winning customer service that has surpassed major cable TV providers for the past eight years. For as little as $19.99 per month (additional $5 for local channels), DISH Network customers can subscribe to the DishFAMILY package and receive over 40 popular channels, plus free installation and activation.

For more information about DISH Network, visit DISH Network -- Home or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474). To learn more about the DTVPal or to order a converter box, visit DTVPAL.COM or call 1-888-638-9912.

"The DTVPal is supported by a trusted and respected national brand -- DISH Network

Does Dish Network really thing that anybody trusts or respects them?

Placed an order at DTVPal.com

Well, with my coupons expiring in 6 days and some of the other options for ordering DTVPal being a little questionable, I went ahead and placed an order at DTVPal.com.

So here's how my order for 2 DTVPals breaks down:
  • 119.98 - 2 "receivers"
  • .-80.00 - 2 Gov't coupons
  • .39.98 - Subtotal
  • ....9.84 - Taxes (Minnesota)
  • ..17.90 - Shipping & Handling (UPS Ground, ships in "7-10 business days")
  • .67.72 - Total
Shipping was 8.95 PER BOX, 17.90 for two.

Tax requires a little explanation: Apparently 7.15% tax was charged on $119.98 + 17.90 = $137.88 (That's the correct rate for me; 6.5% State + 0.5% City + 0.15% Hennepin County tax to pay for the new Twins baseball stadium). Some kind of rounding error saved me a penny. Minnesota does NOT require sales tax on shipping, but it DOES on handling. And when you combine shipping and handling, the whole amount is taxable. As for taxing the full pre-coupon price, the rules vary by state, but I believe that it's OK in Minnesota to charge tax on the AFTER coupon price; at least that's what freedtvshop.com planned to do until they had to cancel all their DTVPal orders. So, if they'd done it right, the taxable amount could have been about 2/3 less (-80.00 for coupons, -10.00 by separating handling from shipping).

To summarize:
  • I'd suggest anyone with enough time left on their coupons wait for a better deal on tax and shipping at another seller.
  • If your coupons are expiring and you can't wait, but you also can't stand to pay what DISH wants, you can try cheapdigitalconverters.com (scary website, but NTIA approved) or the other options discussed at avsforum (if you dare).
  • If you want to buy without a coupon, consider this site's sponsor, dishstore.net.
  • If you do decide to order at dtvpal.com, be warned that the DTVPal.com URL masks the actual URLs in your browser while you order, so you may want to start at dishnetwork.com/dtvpal instead. Then it will be easier to tell that you are using Dish Network's secure server, and so on.

UPDATE: DISH apparently processes coupons promptly; I got this message when I checked at www.dtv2009.gov/CheckStatus.aspx:
Coupon Status Found
Your Coupon has been used to purchase a converter box and is no longer active.

(Consider this to be a "review" of ordering at DTVPal.com; a review of the DTVPal itself will be coming in 7-10 business days + UPS Ground shipping time.)

Last edited:
It may be a good idea to order the DTVPal from a site/store that offers more than just the DTVPal.
This way, if The DTVPal turns out not to be all it's said to be or you just don't like something about it, you can exchange it. That is if exchanges are allowed where you purchase.

Worth a shot?

:eureka
Someone should call 1-888-638-9912 (special DTVPal ordering number on the order form page at DTVPal.com) and ask if they can get that "First 2 boxes for $40 each (net cost $0), if you use your Government coupon" deal that trp2525 was told about (posted at avsforum.com). Maybe this is where the "trained" people answer.

Can't hurt to try. I'd do it if I hadn't already toasted my coupons.

Volunteers? partsman_ba? (Let's all form a line, then everyone but partsman take two steps back.)

Last edited:
Someone should call 1-888-638-9912 (special DTVPal ordering number on the order form page at DTVPal.com) and ask if they can get that "First 2 boxes for $40 each (net cost $0), if you use your Government coupon" deal that trp2525 was told about (posted at avsforum.com). Maybe this is where the "trained" people answer.

Can't hurt to try. I'd do it if I hadn't already toasted my coupons.

Volunteers? partsman_ba? (Let's all form a line, then everyone but partsman take two steps back.)

I just tried it. The rep I got on the phone said they do sell the first two at 39.99 ea.
I then gave her all my info, coupon #'s, etc.
She struggled with her pc for what seemed like forever, then asked me to hold.
She returned and said that my total would be over 60.00after the coupons. After I questioned this, she went on about how the the way it works is, the 2 boxes come out 39.99 + shipping after the coupon savings.

So, of course I said cancel my order. Then she went on with the whole "maybe I should sign up for Dish service as it is actually cheaper up front. NO, Just cancel the order.
She tried to tell me that if I did'n't order from them my coupons could not be used now that they ran them in their system, even though the order had not been completed.
After I questioned this, she put me on hold again, then returned to tell me the coupons have not been ran so they are ok to use later.
Then she said that if my coupons expire Dish will still honer them.
Hmmm....I was really hoping I could actually have a pleasant experience with them for once... Oh well.:confused:

Oh sure, leave me out here hanging!

Called and talked to a guy named Geo, working in West Texas. He put me on hold for about 10 minutes, then came back and said that yes, he could sell me two boxes for $39.99 each. Then he put me back on hold to check again with his supervisor as to how to put the order through. He came back saying that they were $69.99 each, and I said, no, I was told that the first two were $39.99. He put me back on hold again and told me that with the coupons, the boxes would cost $39.98, (2 X $59.99) - (2 X $40 coupons) = $39.98. I think this was what trp2525 translated into $40 boxes.

I hope they are all having fun with these sales, after leaving Sling retailers in the lurch they deserve to struggle with that simple math, made complicated. Buying a dish commitment, yeah, that will make it cheaper.

And now they talk about honoring expired coupons. Two days too late for me.

The whole 39.99 per unit thing I'm sure was just a misunderstanding/miscommunication for some of us. Probably even for the rep I spoke to.
But for the honoring expired coupons bit, I believe the rep that told me that has no idea how the Gov't coupon program works.

(Unless something has changed in the program that I don't know about.)

Climinthewall,

A Dish rep had emailed someone at AVS about a month ago and said not to worry, they would honor expired coupons. What a surprise that has resurfaced with your phone call today.

All I have to say is don't buy it direct from Dish Network as it costs more than two other retailers known at the AVS Forum.

I can't post any links to the retailers because they are not a sponsor

With the cost of these things you might want to start looking into converter boxes.

To see the interface of these boxes you can look at what I have here:
NTIA approved (CECBs) - Electronic program guide (EPG) - Style Used
Thanks for the link. After looking at all the pictures one thing is obvious. Dish is the only box manufacturer who knows how to do a program guide. Too bad their sales and marketing are useless.

Thanks for trying, guys!

Someone should call 1-888-638-9912 . . . and ask if they can get that "First 2 boxes for $40 each (net cost $0), if you use your Government coupon" deal
I just tried it
Called and talked to a guy named Geo

Thanks to both climinthewall and partsman_ba for trying.

You've helped me feel like slightly less of a sap for paying $33.86 for one. Not to mention another $33.86 for a second one.

More importantly, I think you've managed to prove no one's getting the DTVPal for a $40 base price (before coupon).

For now.

(But if sales start to decline, they can still relabel it as the TR-40 and pretend that it's that "other" $40 box they recently started promising. . . as opposed to being the box which was promised to be $40 in the first place. Which it is.)

Oh, well. In other news. . .

A PDF of the full DTVPal manual is available now at DTVPal.com (click "Support"). It's 12.3 MB, 96 pages (48 English, 48 Spanish).

So now it's time to live up to my screen name and read the thing from cover to cover. Maybe I'll do a review of the manual before I even receive the DTVPal. :)

(It's interesting that the DTVPal manual part number is 159336, and the "Sling Media TR-40" part number is 159365, a later number.)

Last edited:
Just called the 888 number and the price is the same and so are the shipping charges, so no deal for Dish customers. With the shipping cost difference, I likely will just go with the Zenith 901 at CC as my last coupon is expiring..

maybe you get a better deal?

PS. Actually it may be more for us! They quoted me $13.95 for shipping for one box

"Shipping was 8.95 PER BOX, 17.90 for two." (from another post)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts