Free ota antenna email from dish

Or, maybe there are markets where, when they add up all the carriage fees, they only break even or lose money each month. In that scenario, fewer local channel subs would actually improve the bottom line. Plus, they would have the satisfaction of sticking it to the broadcasters. :)

Reactions: pattykay and Hall
They are doing all this for free? That is like a $125 value. What does Dish get out of it, besides losing $10 a month for local svc?

Leverage at the negotiating table when local channel contracts come up for renewal
What leverage does this possibly get them?
Broadcaster: "We want $2/month/subscriber."*
Dish: "We don't have as many subscribers."
Broadcaster: "We want $2/month/subscriber."

There's no leverage. I think PP is correct that Dish either currently or will pays more for the locals than $10/month. By cutting out those who can receive OTA broadcasts, the number of subscribers they need to pay for drops. Therefore their losses drop.

*NOTE: Cost of $2/month/subscriber is made up based on my guess that current fees are around $1/month.

What leverage does this possibly get them?
Broadcaster: "We want $2/month/subscriber."*
Dish: "We don't have as many subscribers."
Broadcaster: "We want $2/month/subscriber."

There's no leverage. I think PP is correct that Dish either currently or will pays more for the locals than $10/month. By cutting out those who can receive OTA broadcasts, the number of subscribers they need to pay for drops. Therefore their losses drop.

*NOTE: Cost of $2/month/subscriber is made up based on my guess that current fees are around $1/month.
The leverage comes when a customer calls to cancel service because of a missing local channel, and is instead given a free outside antenna, which gives them a much better picture, plus all of the various sub-channels.

My OTA is still unwatchable with 100% signal. Strange that some work and others don't? Maybe need to try restore factory settings? If you restore to factory do you lose your programs?

Reactions: pattykay
The leverage comes when a customer calls to cancel service because of a missing local channel, and is instead given a free outside antenna, which gives them a much better picture, plus all of the various sub-channels.
That's leverage between Dish and their customer. comfortably_numb says this gives Dish leverage when negotiating with broadcasters. If anything, this would reduce the number of Dish subscribers to local channels. So instead of telling the broadcaster "We can bring you 50K homes.", maybe it's now 40K. How does that give Dish leverage?

My OTA is still unwatchable with 100% signal. Strange that some work and others don't? Maybe need to try restore factory settings? If you restore to factory do you lose your programs?
Are you talking about watching via your Dish receiver? Is it a hopper by any chance? I've seen numerous posts about people having issues with hopper and OTA.

That being said, you can have TOO much signal going into a tuner (I'm talking generically, not specifically to Dish). I know that's counter intuitive, but still true.

Reactions: pattykay
Are you talking about watching via your Dish receiver? Is it a hopper by any chance? I've seen numerous posts about people having issues with hopper and OTA.

That being said, you can have TOO much signal going into a tuner (I'm talking generically, not specifically to Dish). I know that's counter intuitive, but still true.

I have the H3 and I’ve never had OTA issues with my dual tuner dongle

I believe the broadcasters try for $X per subscriber in the area. For every potential viewer that Dish has in the area, not how many actually have locals or watch locals via Dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I believe the broadcasters try for $X per subscriber in the area. For every potential viewer that Dish has in the area, not how many actually have locals or watch locals via Dish.
Assuming you're right, why would Dish allow subscribers to drop locals? I would assume Dish only has to pay broadcasters for those subscribed to the locals. Otherwise, by allowing people to drop locals, Dish would lose money even faster.

I have the H3 and I’ve never had OTA issues with my dual tuner dongle
From what I have ascertained, the problem is mostly with the old single tuner dongles, like I have...and with OTA problems.

A factory reset only affects user settings. It will not replace the current software that is the cause of the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)