Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Here is the scenario:

I convinced the boss to get an FTA receiver. How did I do this? He says he wanted more sound from NCAA press conferences for our sports stations. So, I offered him the idea of FTA.

He was all abuzz and wild for it but there is one MAJOR problem. It is gonna cost us $5000 (so he claims) for the running of an extra coax line to the top of the 5 story building of which we are on the 1st floor. So, I began thinking of ideas. This is where I need your help.

We have 3 different sets of coax coming down for different systems.

#1 - 12 footer fixed C-band dish with one line coming down into a signal processor for ONE polarity ONLY! Horizontal for AMC-8 radio networks. I already know this is out of the question and won't work due to single polarity.

#2 - 1 Meter Ku dish aimed at 103 West (AMC-1) for the AP News wire. Not sure whether or not the receiver uses 22k or not. (chances are it doesn't and it might be the best bet)

#3 - Standard DirecTV dish sub for our TV viewing/news partner sound from WFOR.

Coax setups 2 or 3 may work involving 22k or Diseqc. I need help! Brain is fried from thinking it over. Basically need to know on which of these lines I/We can install a motorized Ku system without causing errors to the system or having to run another line of coax.

typical consultant's answer

It is gonna cost us $5000 (so he claims) for the running of an extra coax line to the top of the 5 story building of which we are on the 1st floor.
Put the dish on the ground, outside, and send me half of what you save. - :eek:

Don't like that idea? I do; it's cheap! - :cool:
However, which of the following services can be interrupted by your temporarily stealing the coax for other uses?
#2 - 1 Meter Ku dish aimed at 103 West (AMC-1) for the AP News wire.

#3 - Standard DirecTV dish sub for our TV viewing/news partner sound from WFOR.
Usually, Dish & Direct don't like signal interruptions, but they could survive.
Can the AP news wire live through you usurping it's signal?

Also worth considering:
- it's a long 500 feet to the roof.
- you'll need something on the roof to power the LNBs, switches, motors, etc.
- might be worth considering remoting the hardware to the roof...? (or not, just thinking out loud)
- after more thought, move the DirecTV dish to the ground! AND put the FTA dish down there, too.
- Then get someone to pay you $5000 to use your spare coax to the roof.
...oh, and I'll take a slice of that, too. ;)

We don't own the building. They are strict with rules and such.

All those satellite services have to stay live while we use the motorized system.

The voltage isn't an issue with DirecTV and the long run of wire. We can't put anything on the ground. We're stuck with a roof only option. :(

Plus, the line doesn't run directly up. It has to go a few yards across the other side of the building, up the elevator shaft area, then finally up to the roof. The whole thing sux.

You can always use an external power injector if the cable run is too far (instead of using the receiver to power everything). That is how most dishes at radio and television stations are powered. 500 feet is probably a bit long for RG-6 though...

Would this work........

DTV Receiver--------FTA Receiver-----------Motor------------DiSEqC P1------------DTV Dish
..................................................................................................Port2------------FTA Dish

Or this if you don't need DTV HD....

DTV Receiver--------FTA Receiver-----------Motor------------DiSEqC P1------------Invacom QPH Circ
..................................................................................................Port2------------Invacom QPH Linear

Since all of the other satellite feeds need to stay "live" while you use your FTA, switches aren't going to help since switches will disable one side or the other. What I'd look at is some sort of bandstacking solution so that you can run both signals over the same line. This is probably a solution that you'll have to use with your c-band dish since its the only one that you know is always going to be restricted to a certain polarity/frequency 9but I'm not sure if bandstacking will work well mixing c and ku... i really have done zero reading on the subject, but understand the concept a little)

Since you are going to get a new line installed, the cost difference for a spare or two wouldn't be much more. Always good to run extras when the main cost is the labour. At the last house I owned I ran a dozen lines when I really only needed 8.

I had a talk with our engineer today and he said on the next run, it's gonna get done. We gotta put another parabolic up on the roof for an STL, so the time will soon come. Plus, we're using RG-11 which is thick and well shielded against loss.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)