GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - New DVBS2 STB - Photos and Initial Testing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Chad, stupid question, but, is the time set right in the receiver after you did the firmware update?

Yes it auto sets from the internet. It switches to the correct Satellite and Channel when it's time to start. Just won't start recording.
Schedule.JPG

Reactions: . Raine
I was wondering if there is a way to stream channels from this box or control it via the network. I did an nmap on the unit and found the following tcp ports open:

nmap 10.20.150.214

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-12-01 20:47 EST
Nmap scan report for 10.20.150.214
Host is up (0.048s latency).
Not shown: 991 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open telnet
80/tcp open http
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
554/tcp open rtsp
3000/tcp open ppp
49152/tcp open unknown
49153/tcp open unknown
49154/tcp open unknown
49155/tcp open unknown

I then telnet'd to the box and as explained earlier in this thread there is a whole busybox shell/environment. Looks like there is an rstp port running on port 554? the dvr process is the process running on port 80 (and others). Tried connecting to port 80 at the ip of my satbox but chrome just spins. Is there a special URL I need to feed to VLC to stream. I see samba is running on port 139. Can you connect to this box like a windows share? Ill play more but any tips would be great.

I set timers with my external USB drive as default, but the timers no longer works after updating the firmware to the latest version when trying to record using timers to the external USB, but it will record manually. I can read and play everything I previously recorded from that drive with the media player, just doesn't work with the timers. But the timers works fine recording to the internal USB drive. Any ideas? I haven't tried the front USB port...

I set timers with my external USB drive as default, but the timers no longer works after updating the firmware to the latest version when trying to record using timers to the external USB, but it will record manually. I can read and play everything I previously recorded from that drive with the media player, just doesn't work with the timers. But the timers works fine recording to the internal USB drive. Any ideas? I haven't tried the front USB port...

What was the last know software version that would timer record for you? I'm pretty sure it was working just fine for me using 1152 firmware version. Can't get it to schedule record a thing using 1213 or 1248 software.

What was the last know software version that would timer record for you? I'm pretty sure it was working just fine for me using 1152 firmware version. Can't get it to schedule record a thing using 1213 or 1248 software.
Not really sure, as I don't do much timer recording, but I've been updating the firmware every time a new one is available, so it must have been 1213. The last shows I recorded with timers was in October...

Hi Fred. Yeah that does work. I found the samba config will paste below. Basically no password read write share which shares out /mnt where all your external drives mount. Its samba version 2.2.12 which was released in 2004. Appears that most config files as well as the database are located in /home/stb. Some logs are in /tmp. Pretty straight forward layout. From the logs I see that DNLA isnt starting due to missing files or config which is why I dont see the box broadcast DNLA even though there is a DNLA setting in the firmware. I also pulled out of the init files that the busybox/development environment is:
# This file auto create by makefile

echo "Compile file system used arm-hisiv200-linux-"
If you search for arm-hisiv200-linux you get this site (and probably others) which are maybe some clues on how the OS was built for this box: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ath.arris/files/HMC3000/

I think thats the build environment where you could probably build/compile your own apps for the box to run. I only looked quickly.

Here is the samba config (the one for wireless) there is another config for if you are using the LAN adapter instead which just runs smbd on the Lan interface instead:
[global]
interfaces = wlan0
workgroup = MYGROUP
server string = Samba
netbios name = myarm
guest account= root
security = share
[share]
path =/mnt
writeable = yes
guest ok= yes
browseable= yes

Well Ive found no info on any support for streaming just a framework there where the capabilities were started just never hooked up on the back end under the hood to anything. I dont know much about the dvb process that seems to run on the box. When watching PBS East HD on 125west the dvb process takes 30% cpu on average and 30% of the ram. I think this is a great improvement in the latest version. The GUI on the box seems a lot more responsive. I noticed the kernel is newer too. As this box is polished except for the lower cpu and ram specs to me its been the holy grail of features for satellite viewing. NTP/time update, promising dvr features, channel edits from the gui, ACM/Music choice support, sensitive tuner able to tune the lowest symbol rates down to 973 symbols and lower (the NPR feeds on 99west) on my non ppl LNBF, extensive features. I am really enjoying this box. Id like to see this firmware on a box with twice (or more) the power and triple+ the ram with the exact same amazing tuner in the future.

Just a dump of an hour digging deeper into the unit.

Hi Fred. Yeah that does work. I found the samba config will paste below. Basically no password read write share which shares out /mnt where all your external drives mount. Its samba version 2.2.12 which was released in 2004. Appears that most config files as well as the database are located in /home/stb. Some logs are in /tmp. Pretty straight forward layout. From the logs I see that DNLA isnt starting due to missing files or config which is why I dont see the box broadcast DNLA even though there is a DNLA setting in the firmware. I also pulled out of the init files that the busybox/development environment is:
# This file auto create by makefile

echo "Compile file system used arm-hisiv200-linux-"
If you search for arm-hisiv200-linux you get this site (and probably others) which are maybe some clues on how the OS was built for this box: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ath.arris/files/HMC3000/

I think thats the build environment where you could probably build/compile your own apps for the box to run. I only looked quickly.

Here is the samba config (the one for wireless) there is another config for if you are using the LAN adapter instead which just runs smbd on the Lan interface instead:
[global]
interfaces = wlan0
workgroup = MYGROUP
server string = Samba
netbios name = myarm
guest account= root
security = share
[share]
path =/mnt
writeable = yes
guest ok= yes
browseable= yes

Well Ive found no info on any support for streaming just a framework there where the capabilities were started just never hooked up on the back end under the hood to anything. I dont know much about the dvb process that seems to run on the box. When watching PBS East HD on 125west the dvb process takes 30% cpu on average and 30% of the ram. I think this is a great improvement in the latest version. The GUI on the box seems a lot more responsive. I noticed the kernel is newer too. As this box is polished except for the lower cpu and ram specs to me its been the holy grail of features for satellite viewing. NTP/time update, promising dvr features, channel edits from the gui, ACM/Music choice support, sensitive tuner able to tune the lowest symbol rates down to 973 symbols and lower (the NPR feeds on 99west) on my non ppl LNBF, extensive features. I am really enjoying this box. Id like to see this firmware on a box with twice (or more) the power and triple+ the ram with the exact same amazing tuner in the future.

Just a dump of an hour digging deeper into the unit.
The streaming is supported and installed. The streaming works via the remote application in Android and iOS - application is called VIVANT remote. But because it did not work flawlessly, we do not offer it as supported option.

I was wondering if there is a way to stream channels from this box or control it via the network. I did an nmap on the unit and found the following tcp ports open:

nmap 10.20.150.214

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-12-01 20:47 EST
Nmap scan report for 10.20.150.214
Host is up (0.048s latency).
Not shown: 991 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open telnet
80/tcp open http
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
554/tcp open rtsp
3000/tcp open ppp
49152/tcp open unknown
49153/tcp open unknown
49154/tcp open unknown
49155/tcp open unknown

I then telnet'd to the box and as explained earlier in this thread there is a whole busybox shell/environment. Looks like there is an rstp port running on port 554? the dvr process is the process running on port 80 (and others). Tried connecting to port 80 at the ip of my satbox but chrome just spins. Is there a special URL I need to feed to VLC to stream. I see samba is running on port 139. Can you connect to this box like a windows share? Ill play more but any tips would be great.
Please watch

The streaming is supported and installed. The streaming works via the remote application in Android and iOS - application is called VIVANT remote. But because it did not work flawlessly, we do not offer it as supported option.

Post up the source code and let us fix it.

When I pause tv then later hit play there is a rather large circular arrow in the top right corner during playback until I fast forward to live tv again and its no longer timeshifting. Any way to get rid of that circular arrow icon? Ive tried hitting info and exit (but that cancels timeshift). If there is no way to get rid of the error Id like to put in a request to have that not appear :). Its super distracting. Thanks

Anyone else having lockups while timeshifting. Using an external wd black 1tb external drive. Latest 1213 firmware. Plays fine no skipping then just freezes no remote response or front panel response. Playing recordings and recording itself seems fine. :( worked fine in previous firmware as far as I know.

Wow the busybox shell (if you telnet into the box) has hdparm which tests the speed to the drive. If I run it off my 1TB WD black drive while watching a channel the channel breaks up and I get 8megabytes/sec. I'll paste my results below. For anyone else who wants to run the test just issue the mount command then look for the block device mounted to /mnt (for example my block device shows as /dev/sda1 so you'd use /dev/sda now you can run hdparm like this: hdparm -t /dev/sda and you will get results like I paste below. Doesnt get much faster then a 1TB WD Black drive so it looks like this box tops out at 8megabytes/sec to 11megabytes/sec to the usb port for read. Ill paste a few consecutive tests. Channel playback breaks up during most of the tests.

# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 27 MB in 3.24 seconds = 8527 kB/s
# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 36 MB in 3.22 seconds = 11445 kB/s
# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 35 MB in 3.09 seconds = 11595 kB/s
# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 21 MB in 3.04 seconds = 7067 kB/s
#

Some of the test hit 23megabytes/sec but there was heavy breakup during live tv playback. I am not time shifting or recording during the tests. This tool can tell you how fast your internal usb flash drive runs (which I removed it was unusable for recording or playback).

This doesnt test write so I imagine timeshifting (read combined with right) really punishes the bus and usb of this box.

I'm way behind you in firmware, I'm running a modified version of 992, so it may not be the same as with your time shifting issue now, but...a long time ago, I had time shifting issues and it was due to the processor over heating. It might be worth checking if your heat sink feels excessively hot and replacing it with a better one and better compound, if it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)