GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - New DVBS2 STB - Photos and Initial Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm way behind you in firmware, I'm running a modified version of 992, so it may not be the same as with your time shifting issue now, but...a long time ago, I had time shifting issues and it was due to the processor over heating. It might be worth checking if your heat sink feels excessively hot and replacing it with a better one and better compound, if it is.
Thanks for the tip. Is the heat sink hard to get off? I have plenty of larger ones of different size to try so Ill give that a go.

Thanks for the tip. Is the heat sink hard to get off? I have plenty of larger ones of different size to try so Ill give that a go.

You're welcome. Mine wasn't, it was held on with what looked like a hard glob of silicone that only covered a very small area of the chip, so it wasn't doing much for cooling and it was very hot to the touch. I replaced my heat sink with one that is about 3x the size of the original and used real heat sink compound on it. I think I used Artic Silver, but I'm not 100% sure, it was a long time ago.

The only problem I had with replacing it was that there's no way to clamp the heat sink down, which is probably why the manufacturer had used the hard silicone. It's probably not the best solution, but I took a piece of wire and ran through the vent holes on the bottom, up over the heat sink and then down through the vent holes on the other side and tied it down tight with that. When I did that, I had thoughts of it being only temporary because I was planning on putting in a heat sink with a fan on it, but it hasn't given me any over-heat problems since then, so it stayed like that.

I was having problems with recording, time-shifting, locking up and my C band dish moving itself erratically, sometimes to the limits for no reason and I couldn't figure out why. Member N6BY had suggested that I check if the processor was overheating and that's what it was. :)

You're welcome. Mine wasn't, it was held on with what looked like a hard glob of silicone that only covered a very small area of the chip, so it wasn't doing much for cooling and it was very hot to the touch. I replaced my heat sink with one that is about 3x the size of the original and used real heat sink compound on it. I think I used Artic Silver, but I'm not 100% sure, it was a long time ago.

The only problem I had with replacing it was that there's no way to clamp the heat sink down, which is probably why the manufacturer had used the hard silicone. It's probably not the best solution, but I took a piece of wire and ran through the vent holes on the bottom, up over the heat sink and then down through the vent holes on the other side and tied it down tight with that. When I did that, I had thoughts of it being only temporary because I was planning on putting in a heat sink with a fan on it, but it hasn't given me any over-heat problems since then, so it stayed like that.

I was having problems with recording, time-shifting, locking up and my C band dish moving itself erratically, sometimes to the limits for no reason and I couldn't figure out why. Member N6BY had suggested that I check if the processor was overheating and that's what it was. :)
I was thinking about a Self Adhesive Fan & Heatsink for mine, just not sure about how to get power to the fan without compromising the receiver...

What is the difference between the HDVR3500 and: Openbox Diamond or Vivant HD? Their menus look exactly the same...
There was another thread where I had asked about the Openbox Diamond prior to buying the HDVR3500. The Diamond also does ACM etc.. but I think the difference is that for both those boxes there are no US sellers so if bought you'd be stuck with European firmware where they have different needs and no US support. Id be interested in both boxes if it was found that there was US firmware or support. I like the HDVR 3500 though and also supporting SatAv (and US companies) and look forward to future improvements.

Reactions: dsmith0429

Ok. Good to hear what Im getting into beforehand and that it solved most of your lockup issues. My lockups happen during timeshift only and probably due to heat then as timeshift is when the box has to do the most work (record and play at the same time). I will look into using compound and then sticking on with that along with a dab from the glue gun to keep it in place on two corners of the sink pressing down until the glue gun dabs cool and adhere.

Reactions: . Raine
There was another thread where I had asked about the Openbox Diamond prior to buying the HDVR3500. The Diamond also does ACM etc.. but I think the difference is that for both those boxes there are no US sellers so if bought you'd be stuck with European firmware where they have different needs and no US support. Id be interested in both boxes if it was found that there was US firmware or support. I like the HDVR 3500 though and also supporting SatAv (and US companies) and look forward to future improvements.
I love my HDVR3500, does what I want it for, mainly just use the satellite tuner, not too much the rest, except for IPTV. I also have the GEOSATpro microHD, which has been a great box for me as well...

Team, the recording timers have been fixed.

Please accept and test the 1279 update i just posted. If you have automatic updated turned off, please go to Menu > Manager > Version > Online Update and select 1279 version of Firmware.

Let me know how it worked out.

Team, the recording timers have been fixed.

Please accept and test the 1279 update i just posted. If you have automatic updated turned off, please go to Menu > Manager > Version > Online Update and select 1279 version of Firmware.

Let me know how it worked out.

Is this firmware only for specific 3500's? My box still shows 1248 is the latest version available for update. Thanks.

While recording to internal drive (fat32) I'm getting momentary picture freezing/studdering on PBS East HD on AMC 21 while watching it being recorded at the same time(not time-shifting). When I stopped the recording and watched the recorded program from the internal drive the breakups didn't happen during playback of the recording. I thought this is very odd. Could it be a overheating issue or limitation of the processor? Thanks.

Reactions: SatelliteAV
Status
Please reply by conversation.