GeosatPro Micro HD

Ice, how does the MicroHD handle Montana PBS? Is there any stuttering like on some of the other S2 receivers?

Having issues with it right now...showing 74 quality then drops almost to 0 then immediately back up. So I dont think its the receiver.....more the source ;)

Last edited:
I know this was brought up a week ago as fixed but I learned something new

The record length is weird as it defaults to 14 hours and you can’t change it. While this doesn’t bother me right now as timer recordings work properly and I would just hit “stop” when I was done with a on-the-fly recording for some people who hit record and only want it to record say an hour will run into issues. SatelliteAV is aware of it and trying to duplicate it.

this has been fixed. When you load software into the receiver it clears out everything and reboots. I was having issues with the 14 hour and/or not being able to change the time. Brian suggested a factory reset after loading software and that fixes it. Now it works fine

rec button once..records 2 hours
press again and you can change from 00:01-99:59
press exit or record to confirm the change (the end will go from 2:00:00 to whatever you changed it too.

Good point Kodaz, It must have somekind of step up transformer working hard in chassis somewhere?? This is the reason I've always been skeptical of any chassis using 12V transformer instead of 110V stepped down to 18V/13V or 12V. I'm sure research was done with microHD for reliability. PS Still waiting for my Toronto dealer to show stock. ( Should be next week? ):popcorn Happy Canada day eh! LOL

I was wondering how the 18 volts (lnb h) was made from the 12 volts source?
Thanks

according to Brian (in an e-mail or PM....I forget)

The microHD has a boost dc-dc converter to convert 12vdc@2000mA to 18vdc@500mA. Step-up voltage conversion has been used for many years.

The a/c adapter does say 12v 2000mA on it by the way :)

Reactions: kodaz
While waiting for delivery, been pricing out USB drives. Checking out the specs on the drives I note that some are USB powered. From the posted specs on the microHD, I see that the USB port is 500mA. Doesn't quite fill the bill for those USB powered drives. So, looks like any USB drives should be self powered. (Good choice, anyhow). Good point to remember when buying a USB drive.

Joe

Yeah that is a good idea for any receiver. If you are planning on buy an external USB drive for it, get one that is externally powered.

Last edited:
I don't think this has been addressed yet but:

What format is the composite output when using both HDMI and composite? If you choose, say, 1080i HDMI output on an HD channel (16:9), what will the picture look like from the composite output? Letterbox (16:9 in 4:3 frame), center cropped, or maybe squeezed horizontally?

I saw in another thread that someone was setting output to 480i and got a letterbox (16:9 in 4:3 frame). Just wondering what I will get on composite if HDMI is set to 1080i. I send satellite video to neighbors quite often on channel 3 via coax (beggers can't be choosers) but I watch the original 16:9 HD picture.

DRCars

I'm getting anamorphic squeeze out of the composite outputs (watching on slingbox now) while tuned to OETA HD. The anamorphic squeeze is my preference.

Menu settings for TV System are 1080p and Aspect 16:9. Good for 16:9 sets (HD/SD or slingbox in anamorphic mode).

When set to 4:3LB I get black bars on the top and bottom. Good for 4:3 sets and not losing any content.

The 4:3PS setting appears to zoom in on the center of the image and crop the left/right edges off.

I had high hopes for the new Traxis HD model, but after talking to Roger at RPS he convinced me to grab a Geosat uHD.
I do have concerns however. The Traxis claims SOLID performance, which is something sorely needed. It also has baseband video output for standard def souls, who only watch classic tv (480). No Tos link for AC-3 is a big issue. The internal processing is tinny and lacks the dynamic range of my external processed AC-3 signal (Technics SH-AC300) - I tested this with the Openbox S10 when I had it. Also I am looking for a REAL time clock for accurate timer programming of events. I am an archiver and this is a crucial feature. Currently I only can trust my Pio DVR (analog) to record my shows from several receivers (no timers, that drift and can't set to the second !). I was going to order a Geosat - and a new Norsat 8115, but I took apart my 'defective' Eagle Turbo C-band Lnb tonight , cleaned the corrosion, reflowed some suspect cold solder joints, re-assembled everything, and thankfully that did the trick ! Btw dis anybody else notice how the picture quality deteriorated on the move from 87 W to 101 W (Cl*ssic chans). ? It's great that we have two solid performers competing.
I still watch RTV amd PBJ on KU (89 W) so in no rush to buy an HD unit, but Iam getting tired of burning DVD's to archive my shows, and the direct to hard drive is a huge move up.... mind you Ican edit the commerials fro mthe comfort of my living room....now if they'd only add sophisticated video editing to the PVR. ;_0

Tony

I did not buy one of these since I saw no one syaing that this would actually do something that my AZBox does not, although it appears as if there are some things it can do better (not all being features I would use). Plus it was stated that it can NOT do 4.2.2 video that the AZBox does do.I use my 4DTV to move my dish and this do not need all of the sattelites listed in the AZBox. It would be nice to just have 2 of them. One for C band channels and another for Ku ones. I tried this on the AZbox and encountered the problems that it would only let me save one channel on a given frequency per sat. Was wondering if this unit will let one just have two chanell lists and allow for multiple paramters. There are some cases when the parameters change depending on the use of the transponder on the same sat so this would also work there.

Read the whole review by Iceberg. It was a very good reading.
Now that I have my own microHD to play with, I`ve spent some time with it.
Somehow it is not working as smooth as with Iceberg. I am having a problem with obtaining any quality signal. Might have to locate the satellite with the Fortec, then leave the dish pointing at 97W, transfer the coax to the microHD, and see if I can lock into a signal with the microHD while pointed to the Galaxy 19 satellite. Will give it another try tomorrow.

I plan to pick up micro pro HD soon but i AM CONCERNED WITH WHAT YOU SAID RE: AC3!! I watch PBS on AMC21. Will the microHD handle the AC3 sound within the box OK???

I plan to pick up micro pro HD soon but i AM CONCERNED WITH WHAT YOU SAID RE: AC3!! I watch PBS on AMC21. Will the microHD handle the AC3 sound within the box OK???

I'm not sure what "concern with what (who?) said" you are referring to?, BUT, the microHD handles AC3 (Dolby) sound perfectly! It does not need an outside converter.

Ice, just a quick question. I have an Open Box s9, and I haven't updated it in a l-o-n-g time because I have been so happy with the way it works now, but I noticed one problem, and wonder if the MicroHD has this problem, or is it just that I am WAY behind times.

On the PR ABC, I cannot record. Does the Micro have any problem with this station?

Thanks

And I'll be ordering one VERY soon. We had a bunch of bills that HAD to be paid and I'll be clear of them within a month (good news).

Photto

I'm not sure what "concern with what (who?) said" you are referring to?, BUT, the microHD handles AC3 (Dolby) sound perfectly! It does not need an outside converter.

yeah it works great. Both the HDMI output and the a/v cables work just fine with AC-3 (dolby digital)