GoogleTV

Received mine today also =3 days- Interesting that last night a 4.00 integration fee popped up my bill---I didnt have the unit yet!

I want to get one after seeing the review on G4
Not much gets a 5/5 on their tech reviews and it destroys apple TV in so many ways

but i better wait a few weeks to order since it's hell now it appears to get one

The Pros:
Ridiculously easy setup. Connect the cables, plug in your TV and AV receiver model numbers, and I was good to go. It also worked flawlessly with my Oppo HDMI switcher which had me worried. Put it a pairing code with my 722. Everything just worked right away. It did have about a 5 minute download over my ethernet line (I didn't use the WiFi, so your results may vary), so just be patient until the download is done and it reboots itself.

My IPhone works as a spare remote. You Pair it by loading the Logitech Harmony app, put in a pairing code and you can use your phone as a backup remote if one is hiding in the cushions or you are too lazy to go get it.

All of my websites worked. Yahoo Fantasy Football, Facebook, Mafia Wars on Facebook, My wife's corporate Enterprise email portal. I didn't try any of the streaming video sites, but I'll try that this week. I also haven't tried any streaming media from other computers, although I hear they still have a few issues with some codecs. I expect it to eventually get resolved.

The keyboard remote is POWERFUL when used with the IR receiver that is included (I hid mine to the right of my screen) . My AV stack which sometimes turns you into a contortionist to make your IR signals register (it is about 14 feet away on an angle), required no such antics. Typed on my lap and everything registered with ease. AV volume up and down (on my 10 year old Integra 9.1 receiver no less), switched inputs, modified projector settings, used the DVR trick play, you name it. Only complaint..... The Single skip ahead button on my dish remote, now requires a FN-> type combo press to do the same that requires two hands. You can however, assign custom keys to get around this if you want. The "What's On" function, lists all of your recordings, as well as a bunch of programs available from streaming sites. It also merges your external drive contents with your main drive.

I was also able to play a Pandora station in the background while I surfed the web (I could have also done it while watching a TV station but the dueling sounds would drive me batty).

All in all, very happy. Changing my fantasy football settings on the big screen while I watched Stargate Universe off of my DVR in the PIP box was way cool.

Is the keyboard/remote on the Revue UHF or Bluetooth? I have my Revue in my office hooked up to a 722K and I can control it in my den which is about 60' away. I was wondering if there is any way to extend the range of reception, it works in my den, but I have to sit in a particular way and point it toward my office for it to work.

Will the Revue negate my Harmony One Remote? and do you have to use the revue to watch TV or will the 722k bypass right through when not using Google TV?

I had the Revue for a couple of days before returning it to BB. There were things to like about it, and quite a few that were deal killers for me at this point. I'll just list the deal killers for me at this point:

1. Netflix. The version of Netflix really needs to be more Roku-like, but in addition to initially only having the most basic Netflix functions, it doesn't remember where I was "last" like the Roku does, meaning if I'm watching something in my queue and exit Netflix, and return later, it reloads my queue and takes me to the first item in my queue, not the last one I was watching, and with 200+ in my queue, it's a PITA to get back there.

2. I know this "con" might sound weird to some, and what I'd like to see might be problematic to implement, but in a nutshell, I'd like to at the very least continue to listen to the TV tuner audio no matter what I'm doing. In some cases, it does that, in other cases it doesn't. I'd like to still be able to hear what's on my E* receiver audio, while I browse my netflix queue, for example. It is quite jarring for me to have silence while the Netflix app is running (while browsing queue). Of course, If I decide to play something in my Netflix queue, then the E* receiver audio should cease.

3. I'd like a setting to be able to always pop the PIP window when I launch an app/function. Google TV is, in fact, supposed to be television. TV, for me should have primacy, no matter what I'm doing. (Now I know some will disagree with this, that's why I'm just asking for a setting that can be turned off or on). It is a pain to have to remember to push the PIP button first before launching an app to be able to continue watching TV while in the app. Also, if I'm in an app (Chrome, etc) pushing the PIP button should bring up PIP.

4. I would love the GTV interface (Chrome, etc) to reformat around the PIP window, so that the PIP isn't covering up anything. Hell, I'm just wishing!

5. Need PIP swap, and I reckon sizeable/repositionable, but swap, please!

6. I'm not certain that I'd be able to configure my Harmony One remote to launch a Watch GTV activity, and have it control things properly. I'm not expecting the Harmony One to be able to easily control all the GTV items that are on the Revue keyboard, but I want to launch GTV activity, and use my Harmony One to at least control my dish DVR properly. I'd probably only use the keyboard if I want to utilize GTV apps/functions outside of watching E* TV. I may not have messed with configuring the H1 enough, but I had issues getting my Harmony One to control my E* receiver correctly within a Watch Google TV activity that I created....and I'd consider myself quite the expert at getting an H1 tweaked to do exactly what I want.

Anyway, I see Google TV as an excellent idea, but it needs some work, before I'd really be able to use it the way I'd want to.

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday and installed it without nay issues. It got the update right away. I still see frame rate issues no matter what resolution I changed it to... Is there way to change audio setting in revue. I am using HDMI and on AVR receiver, I only see Linear PCM with multi channel sound. It doesn't tell me what was the original audio for source is. How to turn the revue off?

can the google tv be used for direct tv also?im going to get it for dish but was wondering for direct tv.thank you for any replies

The GoogleTV's can be used with any service cable or satellite as long as the receiver being used has HDMI outputs on it to go into the GoogleTV box.

Those of you that have GoogleTV may already know this, but if you have not tried it, you may want to. Yesterday, I was playing around and I went to dishonline.com, and through Dish Online I was able to access hulu content.

You can get the free hulu content from dish online. hulu plus is out of beta and has way more programs then free hulu.

In about three weeks hulu plus should be on all platforms including google tv as an app from hulu.

It may have more programs overall, but it does not have everything available on hulu.com (because of licensing issues). This can be very annoying at times.

For example, Warner Brothers Television seems to have little interest in allowing some of their properties to be streamed over the internet. Some of which are: The Big Bang Theory and The Mentalist.

Does anyone know if we can get the box without the $4 integration service? I don't really care about it integrating with my DVR...

Why am I paying 4.00 for intergration

I'm starting to like using GoogleTV but for the life of me, I just can't see the justification in the $4.00 integration charge. There is nothing that I can't do with the standard remote that GoogleTV can do with the dvr. This might be the deal breaker for me to send it back....ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts