Hauppauge Colossus

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GenBap

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Southeast Missouri
I have ordered one of these from Amazon. It is a HDMI capture card with a WMC7 interface rather than a DVB-S2 tuner. I am going to connect my Openbox to the card when it gets here. Hoping to avoid motor problems etc, this way and yet have the functionality of WMC7 plus my STB. I will post results here and let you all know how it goes.
LdfjkaTsmkAcY_VHKJtxq12Yl8o3gNU6V52_aZESotZnDJ3S-PMIzwJAXPeEyo6FIU6SvvAXI8pcWgHona6OXIHcSLrcFTTliS-Bvkuerx11qGUKBWwy0CnS1YkCq7F2

The Colossus came in and I got it hooked up. Now viewing my S9 in Windows Media Center through HDMI on my computer via the Colossus. Recording is awesome and the picture is amazing. I have a HTPC so it has HDMI output and it all looks great on the TV.

Only problem is I still have to change channels on the S9 apart from WMC7 so I still don't have a guide. Not sure where to put the IR blaster on the S9 and the Colossus software does not yet play well with a media center remote. Since it is all routed through the computer using the s9 remote can be pretty slow. So mixed success so far.

Pros:
Great recording on the pc, great picture and audio. No need for USB or hard drive for PVR to work or for recording. Record straight to computer.
[edit] Another plus is that this sort of eliminates the clock problem. I can tell media center when to record and just make sure i have it on the right channel on the S9 since we have not yet conquered changing channels from within media center.
Cons:
Does not work with wmc remote and so still using S9 remote to change channels on satellite. Related issue is that there is no guide.

The software did come with remote presets for the Coolsat, Pansat, etc. and they would connect via component connections. Can't vouch for how well it works however since I am determined to use my Media Center Remote and Guide. Looks like it would work really well with Dish or Direct however but again cannot say for certain. Hoping the next software update will accommodate Media Center remote like my Haupaugge TV card does.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)