HD Absolute - how long?

As a DishHD (AKA HD Absolute) sub since it's inception, I am astonished to have any -- let me repeat -- ANY new HD. So when several new HD channels appeared in my EPG tonight I was shocked and thankful :) BUT...

It makes me wonder about the many posts claiming that E* is losing so much money on HD Absolute subs that they are actively working to switch us to other packages. Is this a "free preview" for HD absolute subs? Or are the pundits just flat wrong ?

Talon Dancer

p.s. I am very happy with the HD Absolute pacage (even before these additons) and if forced to switch, I'd switch to the Dish Locals Only package or DirecTV.

As a DishHD (AKA HD Absolute) sub since it's inception, I am astonished to have any -- let me repeat -- ANY new HD. So when several new HD channels appeared in my EPG tonight I was shocked and thankful :) BUT...

It makes me wonder about the many posts claiming that E* is losing so much money on HD Absolute subs that they are actively working to switch us to other packages. Is this a "free preview" for HD absolute subs? Or are the pundits just flat wrong ?

Talon Dancer

p.s. I am very happy with the HD Absolute pacage (even before these additons) and if forced to switch, I'd switch to the Dish Locals Only package or DirecTV.
I know dish is loosing money but not because of HD absolute customers. This package was available for very limited time and even in that period very few customers choose that package and since then many have move to other tiers. I would put the percentage of HD absolute customers under 5%.

Just take this thread, you got 3500 views and we have 34 subscribers (okay 35 counting me) go figure.

I know dish is loosing money but not because of HD absolute customers. This package was available for very limited time and even in that period very few customers choose that package and since then many have move to other tiers. I would put the percentage of HD absolute customers under 5%.
That would be nearly 700,000 Absolute customers at most. To me that's gotta be 5-10 times too many at most. Max of 2% would be closer to 250,000 customers. It sure would be interesting to know, especially since tonight we found out that Absolute HD customers received equal to the Turbo HD customers in programming additions (Scott's chart on the 'All Viacom HD On' thread compared to what we got: CMT, Spike, Comedy)

Don't forget that HD Absolute customers also got BetJ which is in the Platinium package.......
Yeah - how could I forget? I haven't changed it from that channel since it first aired. I'm in heaven! :rolleyes:

(At least I don't have to pay extra for it - yet)

I'm so excited that I subbed to Absolute when I did. Turbo customers are totally getting the shaft. Charlie explicitly said on a Charlie Chat that to keep getting new HD programming you had to switch to a Turbo package. Now our absolute package gets everything (except RSN) that a Turbo Gold gets at a fraction of the price!!!!!!!

I'm so excited that I subbed to Absolute when I did. Turbo customers are totally getting the shaft. Charlie explicitly said on a Charlie Chat that to keep getting new HD programming you had to switch to a Turbo package. Now our absolute package gets everything (except RSN) that a Turbo Gold gets at a fraction of the price!!!!!!!
Even if charlie is 420 friendly hes alright.:eek::up

I'm definitely good for now. Esp, if they keep treating Absolute like Turbo Gold w Plat. A long time ago, I said when the Silver pack had more channels than the Absolute pack.... then I'd switch. Doesn't seem like that will be anytime soon :D

I guess, the ONLY way I'd voluntarily switch now is if comcast ever releases CSN:philly (and if my address qualifies); and dish adds then as a FT HD RSN... THEN I would consider it...

I doubt it's anywhere near that high. Did Dish really advertise it much ? I'd about guarantee that no new customers signed up for it and that all HD Absolute customers were existing subs who "downgraded" to it.

I don't know if Dish loses money with this package and doubt that they do. If that were the case, they'd drop it and *force* us to switch to something else. I don't think Dish makes much off of us though.... I've had a string of replacement 622 receivers and other than offering me a 722K for $75, Dish won't budge on credits or anything for the hassles.

Absolute sub here as well. What I don't understand (and maybe this has been already addressed) is how MTV and VH1 are any different than CMT? If you're going to give us CMT, why not give us the other MTV networks? Did Chuck just flip a coin or what?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)