History, biography @101w low signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
9PM PDT and all is well! Signals are the best that I have seen in months!

SQ 55% / Threshold 30-35% (depending on the MUX and FEC) on GEOSATpro DVR1100c

Mine is still breaking up some in Illinois. Wonder if it's a bit better because of the holiday?

Mine crapped out as usual, but we did have a bit of rain. Clear skies now, and the signal is in the 10 - 15 range, which seems a bit earlier for its return than in the past few days.

6am PDT - back up to 85%.

The hotel installations usually have a minimum of a 1.2M dish. With the increased C/N, the locations are probably not noticing the diminished signal quality as they are likely staying far above threshold.

I am sure that this goes without saying, but NO ONE should contact the uplinker to try to assist with this issue! This service does not transmit directly to the DTH market and could easily disappear........

Good here during the day on the 33" dish but breaks up quite a bit later in the evening (10-11pm) with a Q of about 30%. Switching to the 10' reflector it drops to about 60-70% (was windy last night so the signal would jump around a bit) with no picture or audio issues. This am it is 99%Q on the 10', 60% on the 33". Thundershowers this am so signals have dropped again.

Maybe the solar panels on the satellite are not following the sun and the regulator drops current for this transponder to save power for more important transponders?
-C.

The hotel installations usually have a minimum of a 1.2M dish. With the increased C/N, the locations are probably not noticing the diminished signal quality as they are likely staying far above threshold.

I would also imagine they probably would only notice if they lost the signal. I doubt they monitor their signals as much as we do, nor are as ready as we are to break out the wrenches!

I would also imagine they probably would only notice if they lost the signal. I doubt they monitor their signals as much as we do, nor are as ready as we are to break out the wrenches!

Then there feeding it to hotel rooms with guests possibly watching. If a guest saw a channel breaking up they would switch to something else or turn off the tv. If someone did complain the management would turn it on the next morning and all would be well. So it's a no win situation unless they go down bigtime for days and weeks 24/7. :( Oh well...... :no

Attached is a skyscan from the BLSA. It sampled every 30 seconds from 11:25pm to 10:00am. Mid point is about 4:45am. All times PDT.

Just to emphasize the difference between the ~midnight sample and ~9am I copied the right side next to the left. The brighter the image, the more power. So the bright white line across the bottom is RTPi and it appears to have lost a little power in the daytime, opposite the effect we're seeing on this TP.

Attachments

• skyscan-20090908.png
    skyscan-20090908.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 153
  • skyscan-overlay.png
    skyscan-overlay.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 154
70-87% bouncing 10:07PM EST

Haven't seen the signal go out yet here in NY on the Ontario boarder. It might go out sometime late in the night but so far I havent even seen pixelation.

History and Bio both are usually booming in here in Ohio except sometimes in the evening. I've noticed over the last several weeks both drop to just above the threshold...could be weather related... Blind

Only time i loose History & Bio is weather related. Sq still in the 90s on both setups as of 9:24 PM

But your running a 10 foot dish correct 1inabillion? Your db's above threshold is way up there like my c band stuff is on my 12 foot. Bigger is always better and I know that. My problem is I'm playing around with mickey mouse ku reflectors that aren't in the same league as a big dish as far as gain. But the price was right ;)

I have an extra ku band LNBF hung onto my 1.8m Prodelin dish for AMC4 next to my C band for AMC18 and have never lost the signal. Comes in with 99Q whenever I have checked.

I'm betting most hotels are using at least 1.2m commercial dishes and haven't experienced the problem.

Was checking signals on a 4' dish/rotor setup last evening so I thought to pay some attention to the AMC-4 hotel network mux. Bounced around between 40 & 60% Q with no video or audio drop out. Was raining at the time too but not heavy. This RF circuit runs through 100' rg6 to a motor, another 30' to the diseqc, and another 30' back to the lnbf and a couple of F-couplers in between. I am amazed how well it works with all that feedline! Receiver is a Viewsat Platnum Lite.

If this setup picks up the signal at night the hotels shouldn't have much trouble with a 4' dish or bigger. Size definitely matters!

Does anyone have one of the newer 90X99cm dishes on this sat? How does it work? Thinking of upgrading my 33".
C.

I can understand that folks with larger dishes are still getting them ok. What's confusing is that those channels have always been 75 SQ (day & night) here until recently when in the evenings they drop completely out. Around 2 am they start coming back up. Just seems a little strange.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)