HOA! GRrrrrr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Well my friendly good for nothing neighbor turned me into the HOA police. My dish is a slimeline mounted on a pole less than 12 feet. Unless I'm wrong I'm well within my rights. My covenant restricitons appear to be in violation of FCC rules. They state the following. 1) It can't be seen from the street 2) The device looks natural:mad:

Based upon the information you've provided, that is correct. The HOA does appear to be in violation of the OTARD rules because of the restrictions imposed for appearance reasons and not safety or historical reasons.

And excerpted from the FCC site:

"Q: What restrictions prevent a viewer from receiving an acceptable quality signal? Can a homeowners association or other restricting entity establish enforceable preferences for antenna locations?

A: For antennas designed to receive analog signals, such as TVBS, a requirement that an antenna be located where reception would be impossible or substantially degraded is prohibited by the rule. However, a regulation requiring that antennas be placed where they are not visible from the street would be permissible if this placement does not prevent reception of an acceptable quality signal or impose unreasonable expense or delay. For example, if installing an antenna in the rear of the house costs significantly more than installation on the side of the house, then such a requirement would be prohibited. If, however, installation in the rear of the house does not impose unreasonable expense or delay or preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal, then the restriction is permissible and the viewer must comply.

The acceptable quality signal standard is different for devices designed to receive digital signals, such as DBS antennas, digital broadband radio service antennas, digital television ("DTV") antennas, and digital fixed wireless antennas. For a digital antenna to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal, the antenna must be installed where it has an unobstructed, direct view of the satellite or other device from which signals are received or to which signals are to be transmitted. Unlike analog antennas, digital antennas, even in the presence of sufficient over-the-air signal strength, will at times provide no picture or sound unless they are placed and oriented properly. "

Here are the quickfacts from the FCC ruling
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Thank you but believe me I've been trough that page with a fine tooth comb. I know I'm within my rights. I'm really upset and dismayed that someone I know and have been kind to turned around like a weasel and stabbed me in the back. I've been here for 18 years this guy has been here six and has always acted like he owned my lot and the street. Some see kindness as a weakness. You would think people would have better things to do.:mad:

Ah the joys of community living.. When I installed E* they gave me a blanket "I don't care what you put up as long as it's not seen from the street".. hence my Toroidal T90 now.. :)

Ah the joys of community living.. When I installed E* they gave me a blanket "I don't care what you put up as long as it's not seen from the street".. hence my Toroidal T90 now.. :)

There are at least 3 dishes down my street I can see. This mentality that it is hideous and needs to be removed I really don't understand. I was willing to do what I could to make my fellow neighbor happy but now I don't care. He parks in front of my house on the street and has a hound that can howl at night. I will report all these things I use to keep quite. They want to be ugly I can be ugly also. I just don't understand this. Oh well JIHAD!!!!:mad:

Thank you but believe me I've been trough that page with a fine tooth comb. I know I'm within my rights. I'm really upset and dismayed that someone I know and have been kind to turned around like a weasel and stabbed me in the back. I've been here for 18 years this guy has been here six and has always acted like he owned my lot and the street. Some see kindness as a weakness. You would think people would have better things to do.:mad:

Start looking online to see if anyone has made a cover for the slimlines yet.
Your dish is on a pole 12 ft up , see if they have made a cover that might look like a kite or a light or a butterfly ? something in the air already.
This could get interesting, if they do have such a thing you could buy it, put it up and if it doesn't look like a sat dish anymore you may be good to go.

Jimbo

PS : I see that YES they do make them for about 15 bucks, but no design on them .... Yet, I'll keep looking, you can always have someone paint it, maybe sky blue.
btw, they paint sat dishes all the time.

This was the very first one I came across, I'm sure they are out there with designs on them.
http://www.wedgiecovers.com/products.html

Start looking online to see if anyone has made a cover for the slimlines yet.
Your dish is on a pole 12 ft up , see if they have made a cover that might look like a kite or a light or a butterfly ? something in the air already.
This could get interesting, if they do have such a thing you could buy it, put it up and if it doesn't look like a sat dish anymore you may be good to go.

Jimbo

PS : I see that YES they do make them for about 15 bucks, but no design on them .... Yet, I'll keep looking, you can always have someone paint it, maybe sky blue.
btw, they paint sat dishes all the time.

This was the very first one I came across, I'm sure they are out there with designs on them.
http://www.wedgiecovers.com/products.html

Thanks for the info but I think you miss the neighbors true objective and that is to make me take it down. He will not meet his objective but has made an enemy. That's okay although I've been extremely nice to him and his family I think it was the act of a cowards to report me to the HOA without talking to me first.

As everyone has stated, the HOA can't make you take the dish down, nor can your jerk neighbor. You might tell him to get his facts and law straight the next time before he goes crying to the HOA to get you to do something.

You have two courses of action: The first is to ignore your axxhole neighbor and his petty garbage. The second is to get even and live a blameless life yourself while looking to report him for any infraction you can find, as well as irritating him every chance you get (which can get into an escalating war). I'd probably mow outside his window at 6 AM on the weekend.

The third is revenge-if you had to hire a lawyer or anyone to help you with this, sue the HOA and your neighbor for what it cost you to point out that they were idiots.

I recommend forgetting it, but I'd probably be so irritated every time I saw the guy I'd do something to get even, alas.

As everyone has stated, the HOA can't make you take the dish down, nor can your jerk neighbor. You might tell him to get his facts and law straight the next time before he goes crying to the HOA to get you to do something.

You have two courses of action: The first is to ignore your axxhole neighbor and his petty garbage. The second is to get even and live a blameless life yourself while looking to report him for any infraction you can find, as well as irritating him every chance you get (which can get into an escalating war). I'd probably mow outside his window at 6 AM on the weekend.

The third is revenge-if you had to hire a lawyer or anyone to help you with this, sue the HOA and your neighbor for what it cost you to point out that they were idiots.

I recommend forgetting it, but I'd probably be so irritated every time I saw the guy I'd do something to get even, alas.

My wife is a lawyer so no need for that. I confronted him this morning and he seemed to have a case of he didn't remember. Screw him and the HOA.

Is this idiot a member of the HOA board? In any case, you need to get the point across to the other board members that you are totally within your rights and that if the idiot keeps yapping his mouth off you'll complain about him.

Is this idiot a member of the HOA board? In any case, you need to get the point across to the other board members that you are totally within your rights and that if the idiot keeps yapping his mouth off you'll complain about him.

yes he is and has been here for about six years. I've been here for 14 years. My wife use to be the president. He seemed amused I was so mad but that is okay. It isn't coming down. He gave me some BS that a picture of the satellite was already sent to the HOA. The guy that came over to tell me I had to take it down quickly backed off when I told him I wouldn't because I was in my rights and then he went into how my other neighbor couldn't sell his house because of it then contradicted himself saying it already was sold and then he told me he was leaving and selling his house. How could something as temporary as a dish lower house values? The house that sold next to me was priced about 50,000 more than it should have. Could have the high price kept it from selling and not a dish?

I had similar issues with neighbor.. we were going down a war path.. lawyers and all.. eventually we gave in a little on each side and now we just don't acknolwedge each other.. another joy of home ownership

just get the OTARD page refered to above, and if necessary, file with the FCC.

The HOA can NOT force you to take it down.

LER

Thus another reminder of why I will never, ever live in an HOA.

I totally agree. I'm a senior in college and when I get out into "the real world" I refuse to buy a house and have a non-governmental agency that is accountable to no one tell me what I can do with my property.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)