Home Purcjhases and FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
Have any of you ever purchased or not purchased a home due to LOS issues? We're in the middle of looking for a home and the first thing I do is see what kind of LOS I'll have for the FTA dishes. I haven't gone as far as to ask the realtor to weed out any properties with crappy southern views, but my wife thinks I'm a little weird for insisting on getting a FTA compatible house.

We think your wife is a little weird for not insisting on an FTA compatible house. :D;)

Seriously though, good southern sky will be an absolute requirement for me. I just can't imagine a home which prevents me from enjoying my hobbies.

Yes, it's important.

Tell 'em.
That way, the realtor isn't wasting His/Her time on properties you won't buy.

That doesn't mean the house has to face north, with a southern back yard.
My house is west of my back yard, and since few birds are very west of me, that's dandy.

And do consider where buildings or trees might grow in the next 10 years, 'cause there's a high probability if you buy, you won't move any time soon.
Look into local zoning or other building restrictions.
I see some BUDs in your future, so don't shoot yourself in the foot by buying in some exclusive neighborhood has has 'em outlawed! :(

If I were to relocate (can't afford to now) I would have a few requirements and that would be one of them. The other, since I am a ham, would be no power lines or other interference. Look for a house that will serve your purpose and support your hobbies.

I would not buy a new house / property that did not have line of site to the Dish Network / Directv satellites and have some sort of broadband available (wireless service provider would work - not cellular since it is limited) or line of site to an area that had broadband available to make it possible to get a point to point link.

I wasn't into FTA five years ago when we bought the place we're at now. I'm fine with 63W to 135W. 63W-72W takes some work dodging trees and anything lower than 63w is blocked by a huge row of pine trees and a 60 year old oak. Not my trees... So yes If I was buying again it wouldn't have any trees, or it would be cleared of all trees...I'd use them for firewood Blind

My wife and I have been looking at the idea of moving. The new house absolutely needs to support my C-Band and Ku Band FTA habit. Just coincidentally, some of the places that we are looking at are going to also be good for over-the-air reception from Erie PA. Right now where we live the Networks are too far away. It would be nice to have reliable reception of ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/PBS over the air for free.

I think a sight survey is a very important step in buying a new home. But then Im a crazy satellite guy :D

its why i cant sell my house. my house faces south and with my 2 buds in the backyard and 2 ku poles i can see 37.5w to 139w. i had to put the 10 footer in the middle of the backyard to clear trees to the east. LOS is the first thing i think of when looking at properties or when BUD hunting. so many BUDS have become overgrown and are ripe.

crackt out,.

Just coincidentally, some of the places that we are looking at are going to also be good for over-the-air reception from Erie PA.

I am about 12 mile west of Erie and can receive some OTA from Canada too. I have not tried turning the rotor since digital came to play and the reception from Erie can be touchy with digital. A few years back with analog I could also receive some Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit and a couple of Buffalo stations. I can aim to the north but not to the south. We are north of interstate 90 which is up hill from here and we are considered living in the old Lake Erie bottom. That hill kills our southern reception but otherwise I guess I am in prime TV real estate and did not realize it! :D

I have a great LOS for satellite but was set up mostly for 4DTV. This year I am going to set things up to receive as many FTA birds as possible! :)

It would pay to consider OTA reception along with your LOS! Have that realtor find what is right for you! ;)

OF COURSE! LOS was of utmost importance! No TREES on the property. On top of a hill, about 200 feet above anything else (at all south) in 5 miles. The shed is 72 feet long and 16 feet high at the eaves. NO county restrictions (only responds to complaints from HOME OWNERS with 1/2 mile!) nor HOA.
Unfortunately I did not think of no trees and the "high prarie" allowing 40 to 125 MPH winds at any time....

Oh, for sure, it is a priority! Clear LOS backyard facing South is it..........no need to look at others, LOL.

Oh, for sure, it is a priority! Clear LOS backyard facing South is it..........no need to look at others, LOL.

Agreed!

I simply wouldn't even think of moving into a house where I can't have my BUD. I get far too much enjoyment out of tinkering with it. There is so much stuff available on C-Band that I couldn't obtain otherwise.

I don't like being spoon-fed my tv via cable or subscription tv. I *do* have a BellTV subscription, but that is mainly for the wife and kids. I spend my time scanning the skies for oddball stuff that isn't on the pizza dish or cable. I couldn't imagine living in a house where I couldn't enjoy my spare time by scanning the skies.

Welp, we put a bid on a house. It has a small yard, but a nice spot for the dishes and a great view south. As part of the deal with the wife, I'm also getting a new HD tv (BIG upgrade from our 27" crt) and hopefully I can convince my wife that we need to get a box that does 4:2:2 as well. I like my Diamond 9000HD, but I NEED 4:2:2 for next football season!!!

Yes ... I bought a house but first did a quick site survey with a LOS inclinometer, etc. so at least I was somewhat confirdent things would work. More importantly though is I spent time at the local court house looking for restrictive covenants embedded..

The good news my home is fairly good for LOS. The bad news is I let that be a major factor. PLEASE FOCUS ON THE QUALITY OF THE HOME FIRST... Think satellite after the fact... My house ended up with lots of problems ( lack of insulation, crummy kitchen , etc.)
I will have difficulty selling it...

i would not buy a house that is stuck down in a valley or with a big building or something blocking my LOS. LOS is definitely a requirement for me.

Have any of you ever purchased or not purchased a home due to LOS issues? We're in the middle of looking for a home and the first thing I do is see what kind of LOS I'll have for the FTA dishes. I haven't gone as far as to ask the realtor to weed out any properties with crappy southern views, but my wife thinks I'm a little weird for insisting on getting a FTA compatible house.

It wasn't high on my priorities for a house but I did note that I had a clear view of the arc (as far as a polar mount goes) when I bought this house. But, since then, neighbors planted trees that are problems on the east and west ends of the arc. I guess they didn't like looking at my 12 footer so they put in trees to keep from having to look at it. I doubt that I'll move until after I retire 5 years from now. And I doubt that I'll put the antenna up on the roof. Maybe I'll put a small offset feed dish for Ku up on the roof or ham tower. When I retire to Costa Rica I might be forced to get the pizza dish. :rant:

Well, we finally found a house we like and we got an offer that was accepted. Unfortunately, the view of the arc isn't super-great, but I can work around that. There aren't any trees in my yard, but the neighbors have them.

house.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)