Hopper S217 Feedback

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm having a issue with IR becoming disabled overnight. Several times now my Hopper has stopped responding to IR commands after going into standby, the Dish remote still works. I check the settings under Remote and IR has been reset to disabled. I can re-enable IR but the receiver will not respond to IR unless a reset is performed.

Last edited:
I'm having a issue with IR becoming disabled overnight. Several times now my Hopper has stopped responding to IR commands after coming out of standby, the Dish remote works. I check the settings under Remote and IR has been reset to disabled. I can re-enable IR but the receiver will not respond unless a reset is performed.
I have not seen this. I occasionally use my old TV1 remote from my 722 box to control the hopper and have never had a problem with it. Sorry I'm not much help.

I have not seen this. I occasionally use my old TV1 remote from my 722 box to control the hopper and have never had a problem with it. Sorry I'm not much help.

I have never seen the Joey IR spontaneously change to disabled in setup. I have seen my IR "power/select" occasionally fail to turn Joeys "on" from standby, it just stops working, but once the Joey is turned "on" from the panel or rf remote everything IR works again.

I have never seen the random IR behavior with the Hopper at all. In fact an IR 20.0 remote is all we use to control one of our Hoppers.

No problems with IR here, I use mine all the time as I have a regular Slingbox hooked up to my Hoppers (plus Sling Adapters as well.)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I think I'll try disconnecting the RF antenna on the hopper to minimize the possibility that some of my other RF devices (ceiling fans, X-10, weather station) might be causing the problem.

That antenna is required for your remote. Well for the 40.0/32.0 anyway. IR remotes still work.

Yeah though, I have 3 of the receivers (2 Joeys 1 Hopper) with IR enabled. None of them have ever had an issue with it being disabled on it's own.

I think I was just lied to by Dish, and it's really pissing me off.

I called, as they requested me to after enabling PTAT, to provide feedback of how the DVR was functioning with active recordings. I was told by the tech guy (after somehow reviewing all my notes - which by now must be pages long - in one minute) that the engineers were currently "remotely fixing my Hopper", and that I should expect it fixed momentarily. He asked if I had it connected to the internet, and I asked, "If they're fixing it remotely, wouldn't they know??".

Does Dish actually remotely fix Hoppers one-by-one, by NOT pushing a firmware fix to all?? If not, I feel lied to by Dish, to just pacify me until my 30 day "trial" is over, and I'm locked into a two year contract. Any DIRTs with info on this?? Because I'm contacted daily by DirecTV to come back...and I'm seriously contemplating it.

syphix said:
I think I was just lied to by Dish, and it's really pissing me off.

I called, as they requested me to after enabling PTAT, to provide feedback of how the DVR was functioning with active recordings. I was told by the tech guy (after somehow reviewing all my notes - which by now must be pages long - in one minute) that the engineers were currently "remotely fixing my Hopper", and that I should expect it fixed momentarily. He asked if I had it connected to the internet, and I asked, "If they're fixing it remotely, wouldn't they know??".

Does Dish actually remotely fix Hoppers one-by-one, by NOT pushing a firmware fix to all?? If not, I feel lied to by Dish, to just pacify me until my 30 day "trial" is over, and I'm locked into a two year contract. Any DIRTs with info on this?? Because I'm contacted daily by DirecTV to come back...and I'm seriously contemplating it.

I've never heard of anything like that. I've also never heard of a 30 day trial period. I would double check your contract, unless that 30 days is mandated by state law where you live, you're probably already locked into a contract.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

dangue said:
I've never heard of anything like that. I've also never heard of a 30 day trial period. I would double check your contract, unless that 30 days is mandated by state law where you live, you're probably already locked into a contract.

Then I was lied to by the installer, too. Effing great.

Well...I was doing ok with having to reboot my Joeys and one Hopper pretty much at least once a day. Was ok with the surprise of which of my two Hoppers - if any - would show up so I could link a Joey to them. But tonight my usually stable Hopper is locked up apparently, given the sound that it is ready to take off and no signal to my TV or availability to connect a Joey. Of course my never stable Hopper is locked up as well...at least I can't attach a Joey to it and expect anything but a picture that skips every half second, no recordings, no guide, but full MOCA bars. I assume both stopped recording PTAT. Will check that in a few. This is now getting really old. Can't wait for Hopper/Joey roulette tomorrow!

What really surprises me is the disparity in user experiences. My 2 Hopper 1 Joey set up has been pretty damn stable. A few lockups the past month with the new firmware, but nowhere near the horror show that some are reporting. I guess I should thank my installer for doing a good job, or the Hopper gods for sending me these particular boxes.

Sorry to all that are having such problems.

Well...I was doing ok with having to reboot my Joeys and one Hopper pretty much at least once a day. Was ok with the surprise of which of my two Hoppers - if any - would show up so I could link a Joey to them.

My 2 Hopper 1 Joey set up has been pretty damn stable. A few lockups the past month with the new firmware, but nowhere near the horror show that some are reporting.

I don't understand how people can be "ok with having to reboot my Joeys and one Hopper pretty much at least once a day", or call a system that locked up a few times in a month "pretty damn stable".

I am not OK with the former at all, and would refer to the latter as "somewhat stable".

GaryPen said:
I don't understand how people can be "ok with having to reboot my Joeys and one Hopper pretty much at least once a day", or call a system that locked up a few times in a month "pretty damn stable".

I am not OK with the former at all, and would refer to the latter as "somewhat stable".

Considering that I got three boxes back at the end of march and across all three I can fit the number of reboots on two hands, I'd call that pretty damn stable for a new system (maybe I should have qualified like this in the initial post for clarity's sake).

And the two reboots on one Hopper and a single reboot on the other in the past month, given all the firmware updates they've been pushing out, is not unexpected. Sure, things were more stable before, but then again, they've added features that are appreciated. So I'll give them some slack to sort out the new bugs that have cropped up.

I have a major problem. I have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I recently found out that Dish added the feature where you can share DVR content between hoppers, but I no longer have the option to choose between them. I used to have that drop down box on my DVR menu, but it's gone! Can anyone help me or suggest how to get it back? Thanks.

I have a major problem. I have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I recently found out that Dish added the feature where you can share DVR content between hoppers, but I no longer have the option to choose between them. I used to have that drop down box on my DVR menu, but it's gone! Can anyone help me or suggest how to get it back? Thanks.

Red button reboot.

What really surprises me is the disparity in user experiences. My 2 Hopper 1 Joey set up has been pretty damn stable. A few lockups the past month with the new firmware, but nowhere near the horror show that some are reporting. I guess I should thank my installer for doing a good job, or the Hopper gods for sending me these particular boxes.

Sorry to all that are having such problems.

Same feelings here about my 2H/2J setup. Very stable. I switched to a HIC for internet connectivity and it works very well. I noticed a few glitches like losing pictures of folders while erasing a lot of PTAT shows but an RBR fixed it. Someone should start a poll about reliability of H/J systems to get an idea about how they're really performing.

I posted a few pages back - switching from D (an HR-34 and 3 HR-24's) to E (2H/2J). Install is August 10th. Am I making a mistake? Seems like the Hoppers/Joeys are becoming more unstable as updates are forced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)