I have no loyalty to Sirius/xm

Since the sound from Sirius/XM doesn't sound as bad as you describe in my 2016 Buick Encore, I'd suggest that possibly part of the problem is the equipment in your Jeep... :)

As to the 'deals', well they are what they are. I had to get close to the expiration date of my trial before they were offered. And to me, since I don't drive that much these days, the 'deal' price is what it is worth. The retail price would be a 'no sale' with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8
When I had a Jeep it used Sirius satellites, my Buick used XM satellites. I've seen comments on ARS forums where folks say that Sirius sounds is the worst of the two due to the encoding/compression systems that they use vs. XM.

Reactions: TheKrell
When I had a Jeep it used Sirius satellites, my Buick used XM satellites. I've seen comments on ARS forums where folks say that Sirius sounds is the worst of the two due to the encoding/compression systems that they use vs. XM.

The Sirius satellites used to rotate like GPS satellites while xm uses traditional stationary satellites..that could explain the sound difference..both are waaay too compressed compared to Internet radio such as slacker

Since the sound from Sirius/XM doesn't sound as bad as you describe in my 2016 Buick Encore, I'd suggest that possibly part of the problem is the equipment in your Jeep... :)

As to the 'deals', well they are what they are. I had to get close to the expiration date of my trial before they were offered. And to me, since I don't drive that much these days, the 'deal' price is what it is worth. The retail price would be a 'no sale' with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nowhere near that bad in our cars either. (They do all have the premium sound package) We get tons of use out of SiriusXm.

It's truly amazing to me that the inept marketing of Sirus-XM hasn't put them "under" yet....They're on the track of the big terrestrial boys who are crying "near bankruptcy"......if they continue down this road...

There is NO way when a complimentary renewal on a new car comes up, and they offer it (as they did to me) at $5/mo that they can begin to touch the royalty fees they are paying! Since they cannot measure who is listening "when"...they must be paying based on total subscribers. The business model of "please renew, we'll give it to you CHEAP" which many of you describe on this site, and the offers I've received (two in a week) suggest the image of a company saying, "we NEED subs"....If I went out and sold commercials with the attitude this company has, I'd have been off the air and gone years ago. It's begging, plain and simple, disguised as a "deal." They DE-VALUE THEMSELVES with the cheap offers.

On top of that, in a 2015 Jeep, the quality of the stream to my radio from their satellite on most channels is awful, our AM STEREO sounds better and cleaner without the mp3-sh "ringing" which comes from my speakers, reminding me of a low bandwidth internet stream.

Don't care anymore if they live or die, but the image certainly isn't a good one given quality of service and the way they try to retain customers as described here and in the mail. When the companies were separate, I had XM the day the satellite lit the northern part of the country. Service and sound were excellent. Back then, however I also drove 130 miles a day round trip for work. Even "free" in my 2015 car with purchase I've not found a channel enticing enough to set a preset-for based on the factors already mentioned.

As for the low price, many say the same for new customer deals with many companies often offering a fraction of what the published price is.
The fact is we do not know if they pay royalties per subscriber, or if there is more to it than that like on total sales in levels. Drawing any conclusion as to how much they are losing using royalties is complete conjecture. Do the car companies pay part of the discount given? How do partnerships like with Nissan play into it.
When my KIA free subscription was over it was KIA who sent me a notice to go to a page on their website for a special deal so how does that play into the discount I got? Do they make enough profit on one end that they can afford (Like DISH or any TV provider) to give deep discounts to get a new subscriber and hope they stay?
There is no question some part of their overall subscriptions reported are somewhat allusive in that it may include (as far as I know and I could be wrong) those with introductory subscriptions. But they do have more subscribers than at any other time separate or combined.

Inept? One of the best quarters ever for them.
- Second Quarter Revenue Climbs 10% to $1.2 Billion, a Quarterly Record
- Net Income Rises 68% to $173 Million and Adjusted EBITDA Grows 13% to $468 Million in the Second Quarter
- Operating Cash Flow Totals $432 Million and Free Cash Flow Reaches Quarterly High of $395 Million
- Company Increases 2016 Subscriber, Revenue, Adjusted EBITDA, and Free Cash Flow Guidance -
http://investor.siriusxm.com/invest...orts-Second-Quarter-2016-Results/default.aspx

Nowhere near that bad in our cars either. (They do all have the premium sound package) We get tons of use out of SiriusXm.
My last Buick had the Bose option, but this one is just the standard equipment. Some differences of course, but more than good enough.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8
The old saying goes, "figures lie and liars can figure" or similar.

There's no way in hell this can continue indefinitely on renewal fees like they begging us to take. It's that simple. It won't happen tomorrow, it won't be next week, but the business model has to change and so does the quality for them to remain viable. Nothing good came of the merger SO many moons ago. I don't believe for a minute they're getting tons of renewals, and I DO believe that the subs in the cars when new/renewed are something we could all see go away and keep costs down in the cars. If a new car owner wants it, let them order it! There's no way we're not paying for that. Nothing's free. I'll take every dollar saved I can keep in my account.

From the cost of doing business standpoint, you can quote public figures all you want, but...a small market terrestrial station of my size pays over 10 percent of our income BEFORE any other expenses just to play music over the air. Then add in streaming costs about another 3 to 5 percent up to "X" amount plus total listening fees computed by the month. Given WE pay based on documented listening and market size, and they have to pay by subscriber, (plus streaming, I'm sure) it just doesn't compute at $5/mo. Add in bandwidth, talent, equipment, taxes, ..(the list goes on)...and it makes less sense.

Marketing 101 suggests that you never DE-value your product so badly that you can never ask full price again. That's what $5 subs do to the company. To put it quite frankly, they sound worse than ever on many channels, and have done that...to themselves. If they could guarantee consistent quality of sound over all the devices offered, maybe THAT part of my statement would be rescinded, but two vehicles in a row, both new, and XM/Sirius competes for quality on most music channels with dialup quality audio of the 1990's. Not like it was when companies were separate and competing. But then, in this country today, Competition is no longer encouraged, is it!

Have you tried streaming the sirus/xm Internet service through your car stereo?.the difference is huge

With more FM Radio stations broadcasting in HD Radio in my area, I'm dropping SiriusXM soon as my subscription ends in January.
I don't care if they offer it to me for $50. per year, it's not worth it all their music is either crap or continuous same playlist everyday.

Besides I'm missing out on many local events and concerts, that I would be interested in going to but never heard about them until it was too late.

My big deal is that I don't pay a flat rate for data on my cellphone. FM is out if the question for me...even in a top 10 market. HD Radio is also dreadful, outside two or three niche stations. For me, it's SiriusXM, internet radio stations, or podcasts/internet shows, such as The Anthony Cumia show.

The thing that pisses me off is that I forget to cancel and then they try to hit me up for 2-3 months at full price before they will give me the $50 plan again.

I'm at the point now I tell them I bought the car used, give fake name, fake address, fake phone number and fake prepaid credit card and Just build a new account to avoid paying the back balance.

So dumb I have to play games.

I never will pay them full price.

I would stream what I want on my phone, but it would probably cost me more in LTE data
Claude, that sounds suspiciously like the games some less reputable dish dealers would play, adding a fake "apartment number" to an address to setup a new account for an existing customer. Surely you don't advocate such behavior?

Claude, that sounds suspiciously like the games some less reputable dish dealers would play, adding a fake "apartment number" to an address to setup a new account for an existing customer. Surely you don't advocate such behavior?
If it benefits him, hell yes!

Reactions: Pepper
We dropped Sirius in our new F150 ford pu because they played games on payment. Only listened to escape too expensive.
Have 2 portable radios and have learned how to keep them on without a sub.

My big deal is that I don't pay a flat rate for data on my cellphone. FM is out if the question for me...even in a top 10 market. HD Radio is also dreadful, outside two or three niche stations. For me, it's SiriusXM, internet radio stations, or podcasts/internet shows, such as The Anthony Cumia show.
A 1tb USB flash drive is very cheap nowadays..stores lots of music

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)