I'm no where near buying a Bluray player.

They called it off because WB stabbed them in the back. HD DVD will launch sub $100 players that will no doubt get the attention of Walmart. Don't forget that Walmart can twist the arms of studios because they are 40% of DVD sales!!!! Amazon is 3rd behind BB in total DVD sales and they aren't going to drop HD DVD. We'll be here for a long while. Walmart loves cheap, and don't forget the Chinese adopted a format that is almost identical to HD DVD so even thought they are slow to get it out there when it does cheap players will flood markets all over the world.

What's the point of continuing to push a format when there's no more content?

What's the point of continuing to push a format when there's no more content?

Thats my thing, why would anyone take the time to build a new unit(guess they could just put toshiba guts in another player).

Im down with whoever said Tosh will put out a combo, then they'll go BD.

Toshiba would be better off pushing sub $100 advanced upconverters. If I were them I wouldn't take a chance that Sony would rape them on the licensing fee for Blu-rays per unit. After all for the near future Sony is going to try to make back all the lost profits it absorbed during the war.

Heck with scales of economy I don't see why they can't soon sell sub $100 HD DVD players. Hold on to Uni and Para, J6P doesn't know about the format war.

Lets face it all BD fanboys fear in the back of their minds the few power plays that Toshiba can play to extend the war, until downloading gets its shi* together. Don't think for one minute that all the BD fanboy post don't have a little bit of fear within them. They'll never admit it publicly.

WB stated they were going BD because the window for HDM would be missed if the war was continued. But hours earlier they were going to join HD DVD. If I was Toshiba I would kill WB reason for joining BD with gorilla tactics to extend the war, either continue to promote cheaper HD DVD players or perfect upconverters. After all they own the chip manufacturing unit partially thanks to Sony selling their share to them.

Ladies and Gents this is far from over. This is war and expect war like maneuvers.

:haha

You HDDVD "fanboys" keep telling yourself this stuff if it helps you get through three day.

What I dont get is, there are very FEW fanboys posting here at satguys(on EITHER side) , but this term is used constantly. Also blubloods, yet how many times do you see BD guys saying red ants here?

Im beginning to get the feeling if you are pro blue it automatically means youre a fanboy/blu blood. If so that all good.

Blubloods, smurfs, etc. The name calling does seem pretty one sided. It's the same way that any positive BD news is called FUD.

I think some people just don't want to admit they sided with the wrong format & resort to stuff like that.

Blubloods, smurfs, etc. The name calling does seem pretty one sided. It's the same way that any positive BD news is called FUD.

I think some people just don't want to admit they sided with the wrong format & resort to stuff like that.

Exactly, blublood and smurf are used quite frequently around here. I honestly could care less, but dont go using the term fanboy like you arent acting like one. :confused:

It is not like anyone on this board has any actual say in the matter. It is all just fun speculation. That is what makes it fun, you try to guess the moves of the CE industry and post arguments as to why you think your argument is correct, then you find 3rd party items to try to boost your position. I doubt anyone here has the phone number of Universal's CEO (or for that matter any of the other players).

Keeping it impersonal is key. Quoting someone and arguing the points are good, quoting and just name calling or insulting is bad.

If I were them I wouldn't take a chance that Sony would rape them on the licensing fee for Blu-rays per unit.
IIRC, both formats have RNDL (Reasonable Non-Discriminatory License) agreements meaning you pay the same license fee regardless of whether you are are the best buddy or worst enemy. I think every patent pool arrangements are like this.

The very fact that Sony offered and Toshiba accepted the Cell fab deal (Toshiba seems to have gotten a steal deal) means that they both look at the big picture where this HD/BD feud is just one small peace of the puzzle.

When money starts talking all those emotional arguments like HD/BD take the back seat. Always was, always will be.

Sony won this inning. Let's move on.

Diogen.

Ladies and Gents this is far from over. This is war and expect war like maneuvers.
Good grief! I was one of the biggest "HD fanboys" out there (still are) but I relise this is over. Do you like movies in HD or are you in love with HD DVD and are sleeping with your player? There is no way HD DVD can come back from the damage the studio departures will cause. In my opinion the better format did not when, but Blu is good and when it is finalized it will be great. Hopefully you will soon relize that it's about movies and what available to us. The execs are chosing what format will win. I know your frustrated but going off on rants won't help.

Its been stated by a BD insider that to put out a BD player, all you have to do is meet the requirements and buy the license. They cannot legally block you.

Its a fair process and one Im sure Toshiba will consider.

The insider answer was in regards to a xbox question because the OP thought the BDA would give them crap. They dont care, theyll gladly take your $$$ and let you put a player out.

Hold on to Uni and Para, J6P doesn't know about the format war.

Except that there's no way in the world they're holding onto those two.

Lets face it all BD fanboys fear in the back of their minds the few power plays that Toshiba can play to extend the war, until downloading gets its shi* together. Don't think for one minute that all the BD fanboy post don't have a little bit of fear within them. They'll never admit it publicly.

Now that's funny. I've had many thoughts go through my head during the course of discussing this format "war," but nothing even approaching anything I'd call fear. It's just not that serious.

perfect upconverters

There's no such thing and never will be.

Can someone explain why the earlier BD players cost so much more money and had less hardware than HDDVD? Was it a case of just because it was new and they figured alot of people would plop down 6,7,800 or more dollars? Even now after 2 years I'll tell them the same thing I told the Toshiba people.You have GOT to drop the price...now....or people will not buy it as fast as they'd like. And I refuse to buy a game machine to play movies. I dont play computer games. I work on them every day. So skip all these pronouncements and anouncements and come out with $300-350 Profile 2 machines....

I can see the BD tide turning now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Xbox offering an external BD by next year's CES show maybe. Gates would/should rather take on Sony's PS3 with his Xbox than hold onto HD DVD only. Why do think Gates had MS put the Xbox HD player externally?? So just in case HD DVD doesn't work out he can then thank Toshiba and walk to the other side of the street so to speak.

The studios weren't happy that HD DVD can be copied as easy as it is. BD is at least more robust to copying but Slysoft has taken care of that too.
Money talks and we all know what walks.

I can see the BD tide turning now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Xbox offering an external BD by next year's CES show maybe. Gates would/should rather take on Sony's PS3 with his Xbox than hold onto HD DVD only. Why do think Gates had MS put the Xbox HD player externally?? So just in case HD DVD doesn't work out he can then thank Toshiba and walk to the other side of the street so to speak.

The studios weren't happy that HD DVD can be copied as easy as it is. BD is at least more robust to copying but Slysoft has taken care of that too.
Money talks and we all know what walks.
Bill Gates not putting the HD DVD drive is a major reason why they are losing the war.

Don't think for one sec that soon it'll be common to see BD hacked. It always does.

Don't think for one sec that soon it'll be common to see BD hacked.
With very few exceptions of Fox titles using BD+, BD is hacked, you can do with it whatever you want,
just have a look how many BD re-encodes are available on torrent sites.

SlySoft (the maker of AnyDVD that allows you to do that) claims the BD+ hack will be released shortly.
And it is hard not to believe it since for examle Live Free or Die Hard is available as re-encode although it uses BD+...

Diogen.

Can someone explain why the earlier BD players cost so much more money and had less hardware than HDDVD? ....

Because Toshiba took the approach that making players as cheap as possible to the consumer would get them in more homes, and the studios would follow. They lost considerable money on each player, planning to recoup their losses when/if HD DVD won. Toshiba was the only one making HD DVD players, since no one else could make money building/selling them. This did not endear them to the CE industry. Onkyo started to sell a rebadged Toshiba, but dropped it because they priced it to make money and were price undercut by Toshiba. Venturer was to ship players- but how many, if any, actually made it into consumers' hands?

The BDA took the approach that they wanted manufacturers to make money selling players. This brought in more manufacturers. And the higher price allowed for more margin for retailers. Since Blu-ray required more development, yielding greater capacity and faster bit rates, plus more future expansion potential, they took longer to reach market and to fully develop. I can understand keeping profile 2 optional, most people don't have anything to plug into that ethernet connection anyway. 1.1 may have been delayed to allow further java development and to save a few bucks in production of initial (1.0) players. Sony, it should be noted, lost money on each PS3 sold early on, and might still be. But the other manufacturers seem to be making money. And early adopters are not as price conscious as J6P. J6P stayed out of this, for the most part, even with low Toshiba prices.

Profile 1.0 players should be able to play all future movies, despite some claims to the contrary. And yes, they'll play many of the extras- just not the PiP type or interactive things.

Well if anything can come from Toshiba losing the battle is they will be selling HD dvd movies cheap, how many tiles are on HD dvd? ...Cya Slick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts