Installer claims 'new Directv rule' about climbing on roofs - really?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrr101

Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
calif
I signed up for DirecTv, and the installer comes out to my house. He sees the existing sat dish (DISH Network) that he needs to swap out on the eve of the second floor's roof. 'Not good', he says. He claims that there are 'new guidelines' from DirecTv: he is not allowed to climb up on a roof for a dish install. Period. Too many injuries with installers... so he is now only allowed to install when standing on a ladder that is planted on the ground. The problem in my case is that there is no place to put the new dish on the roof of the 1st floor without making it look ugly from the street. I tell him nicely that if they can't put the new dish where the old one is, then the deal's off. So he calls his supervisor, and they won't budge. So I kill the deal, and the installer drives off. The roof he would need to stand on is a 3/12 pitch... nearly flat.

So I call DirecTv (installation #), and the rep on the phone said they haven't heard about this...and then we cancel the deal. I am now back to square one.

Is this a real DirecTv rule these days? Or am I dealing with some independent installer that sets their own 'rules'?

The next thing will be that painters won't paint any house that has more then 1 floor...

Suggestions?

I signed up for DirecTv, and the installer comes out to my house. He sees the existing sat dish (DISH Network) that he needs to swap out on the eve of the second floor's roof. 'Not good', he says. He claims that there are 'new guidelines' from DirecTv: he is not allowed to climb up on a roof for a dish install. Period. Too many injuries with installers... so he is now only allowed to install when standing on a ladder that is planted on the ground. The problem in my case is that there is no place to put the new dish on the roof of the 1st floor without making it look ugly from the street. I tell him nicely that if they can't put the new dish where the old one is, then the deal's off. So he calls his supervisor, and they won't budge. So I kill the deal, and the installer drives off. The roof he would need to stand on is a 3/12 pitch... nearly flat.

So I call DirecTv (installation #), and the rep on the phone said they haven't heard about this...and then we cancel the deal. I am now back to square one.

Is this a real DirecTv rule these days? Or am I dealing with some independent installer that sets their own 'rules'?

The next thing will be that painters won't paint any house that has more then 1 floor...

Suggestions?

Here is a little history,
For the past ten or more years installations were done by contractors. Directv paid for completed installations but did not involve itself in how they was done. Recently DirecTv has begun doing the installations themselves using their employees. So now there is a sudden interest in the well being of employees. DISH is in the same situation.

SO what you have to do is find a contractor who will still do DirecTv installations. Pay him ......yup....you pay him directly. I have heard of ladder rules over the years and seen some accidents with inexperienced climbers. As the money DirecTv offered for installations came down techs who knew what they were doing just walked away. The learning curve for the new guys has been pretty flat in some areas. Even after you get the dish up you may still have to contend with the new ladder rule for service.......and I have encountered a few installations where the dish location is just not safe to service. DirecTv may just refuse to provide the equipment.

But that is what is going on.

Joe (former installer)

So how will this new rule effect repairs to already installed systems that are on roofs? My system has the dish on the roof and the switch is mounted on a short wall between roof sections. Does mean that I will not be able to get any maintenance or repair work done?

So how will this new rule effect repairs to already installed systems that are on roofs? My system has the dish on the roof and the switch is mounted on a short wall between roof sections. Does mean that I will not be able to get any maintenance or repair work done?

Good question,
One possibility is that they could tell you to hire someone who is trained and insured to climb. Electricians do it all the time. I am not and never was a DirecTv employee or representative. They may disavow the whole thing and blame a local manager who was ordered to have no injury claims. For sure, they do not know how many dishes are currently mounted on roofs away from a ladder site. Should be fun to watch how this one rolls out.

Joe

I think I heard awhile back that they were only to place dishes within ladder reach now.

That said, not sure what they do with ones that are already placed.

This subject came up many months ago and I seem to remember that it was because of some new OSHA rules. The tech has to stay on the ladder during the install and cannot step onto the roof.

I don't know how new this is but this installers around here can say more about it.when I had directv installed years ago at the old house he refused to put the dish where the one for dish network was at because of this "new" rule. I had another installer come and take care of it no problem. I even went up there and gave him a hand.

Maybe it could be reached with a 40' ladder? Most techs just carry a 28' ladder on the truck as standard operation. But sometimes they can have a tech bring out a 40' ladder on special request to reach such locations if possible...

Good Luck
SIG

Wonder when this started. The tech on my aunt's recent install had no problem stomping around on a roof that isn't in the best shape.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It all depends on the installer. Rule is no dishes or cabling mounted that can't be accessed via a ladder. Some will just to get the job in. I will if that's the only option but normally we're required to have a second person there as a spotter. The rule has been there for awhile but its a little grey when the install is on the line. If a dish network dish is on the peak and I can get it from the eve then it's going on the eve. If the customer refuses then its a cancelled work order, I only get off my ladder if needed for a LOS

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Suggestions?

I have a very similar install location issue (see thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...stomers-go-through-this?p=3217349#post3217349 ) except one installer already came and installed the "D" dish where the old "E" dish was. He also located the 8 port switch under the eves near it. Problem is he left most of the rest of the 6 receiver (whole house) job unfinished.

I was in the middle of trying to finish the job when "D" called with their "how's it going - welcome spiel". When she found out what I was going through, she scheduled a new installer to inspect what was done and finish what I didn't do. He says whole job has to be re-done, including moving the dish.

Right now the dish can be completely accessed and serviced by standing on an almost flat breeze-way roof and that roof can be accessed with a 7 foot step ladder from flat ground. It couldn't be any easier right where it. Any place else is going to have to go where only a 30' extension can reach it and power lines are near by. Makes no sense.....

Exactly. I always recommend going thru a local dealer as then you can get the equipment you want as well as having the local dealer do the install.

In house rules are pretty set in stone. I get yelled at alot when my jobs get qa'd and my sup asks why I got on the roof. I usually just say i have really long arms... but I only get on the roof if it makes my install easier on me, not because a cust asks me to. I would have done the same thing to you OP sorry to say. The rules are in place due to osha. The HSP gets crazy fines if were caught off our ladders. Sometimes 40s help, but they are going the way of the dinosaur too.

I echo the local dealer tag line. For my own personal dish(s) I want it easily accessible especially during inclement weather.

How much would it cost to upgrade my satellite dish from an SL3 SWM which is on my roof to an SL5 SWM(because I do want to get Spanish programming) with them naturally having to put a new dish in my front yard in order to be able to get the 119 satellite?

How much would it cost to upgrade my satellite dish from an SL3 SWM which is on my roof to an SL5 SWM(because I do want to get Spanish programming) with them naturally having to put a new dish in my front yard in order to be able to get the 119 satellite?

Best way = call and ask them but be in a bargaining mode.
DirecTv seems to want to extend your contract for any reason they can discover. In theory you are just ordering another channel or package. The SL5 is a small deal for them......pretty sure the LNBs interchange so it will be the same dish (I think). Even if they have to change out the whole dish or use the international dish...still no biggie...but expect the contract extension.

Assume it will be FREE and negotiate to that position if you can.

Joe

Replacing a 3 lnb for a 5 lnb should be free and shouldn't incur a contract extension.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)