Inter-League Play

If anybody ever looks like he was born to be a Dodger it is Billingsley. He just wears that uniform well. Put him on the mound and he could easily be in the rotation with Koufax or Drysdale. He has a classic Dodgers look.;)
Chad Billingsly,
Another Athlete from right down the road in Defiance Ohio :up

First series of IL play complete and it was pretty evenly matched with the AL having only a 1 game advantage this time

AL Wins = 22
NL Wins = 20

Did they sign Evgeni Malkin to a one-day contract?:D:D:D:D

(Sorry- couldn't resist. It's hard to believe how good and bad the Pens and Bucs are, respectively.)

Salary cap, let's face it, if there wasn't a salary cap in football and hockey, Pittsburgh wouldn't have good teams along with other small market cities.

When you have teams like the Yankees paying more for one player than the whole salary of a team, you aren't going to be good. Now I'm not saying that is the only reason the Pirates have been bad for so many years, bad ownership and management have contributed a lot to the demise of the Pirates.

All those losing season they should have drafted a lot of good...no great players, but the Pirates dropped the ball on that as well.

When you have teams like the Yankees paying more for one player than the whole salary of a team, you aren't going to be good. Now I'm not saying that is the only reason the Pirates have been bad for so many years, bad ownership and management have contributed a lot to the demise of the Pirates.

All those losing season they should have drafted a lot of good...no great players, but the Pirates dropped the ball on that as well.

I also point to something else- lack of star players.

Who would you say is the most popular Pirates player in Pittsburgh? (I'm afraid he doesn't have the starpower of a Crosby or Malkin)

I also point to something else- lack of star players.

Who would you say is the most popular Pirates player in Pittsburgh? (I'm afraid he doesn't have the starpower of a Crosby or Malkin)

That's what I'm saying, the Pirates wont pay for a "Superstar". They had Jason Bay, but got rid of him and they wont get anyone for a while. Alvarez might become one, but he wont be here long.

The last "Superstars" the Pirates had was Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke.

Salary cap, let's face it, if there wasn't a salary cap in football and hockey, Pittsburgh wouldn't have good teams along with other small market cities.

Your management has to either sell or step it up ... they need to clean house and get new people in there that have done it before, including scouting ....
Unfortunately that can be said for a lot of teams, not only baseball.
Lions are in the same situation, but they refused to bring in anyone that know how to run a business.

That's what I'm saying, the Pirates wont pay for a "Superstar". They had Jason Bay, but got rid of him and they wont get anyone for a while. Alvarez might become one, but he wont be here long.

The last "Superstars" the Pirates had was Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke.

Got to agree with that. You guys would be a whole lot better if you actually kept some of the talent you develop, instead of letting them become superstars with other teams.

Got to agree with that. You guys would be a whole lot better if you actually kept some of the talent you develop, instead of letting them become superstars with other teams.
Bay is the latest (not really a superstar, at least not yet)
McClouth will probably be the next to go

You know I brought this up a while back on this site. How could you be a Pirates fan when the team is always lousy? I'm not trying to be sarcastic but I feel bad for the Pirates. I mean a team with all that history and they are out of the playoffs by today.
I have seen on this thread about how they should clean house including scouting but I kind of disagree. What they need to do is keep the guys they develop. I'm talking about keeping guys like Jason Bay.

Sorry about the late post, but I was working the Indy 500 yesterday, (actually working out there the whole month!!), and haven't had a chance to get in here much.

WHOO-HOO!!!...The Reds took 2 out of 3 from the Injun's this past weekend!!! (and in your own words, SUCK THAT, HD!!!)...;)

This has put them in 3rd place in the NL Central and getting some mojo going into a series with a team that has owned them in their own park for quite a while (Astros)...:hungry:

KEEP GOING REDS!!!... :up:up:up

Sorry about the late post, but I was working the Indy 500 yesterday, (actually working out there the whole month!!), and haven't had a chance to get in here much.

WHOO-HOO!!!...The Reds took 2 out of 3 from the Injun's this past weekend!!! (and in your own words, SUCK THAT, HD!!!)...;)

This has put them in 3rd place in the NL Central and getting some mojo going into a series with a team that has owned them in their own park for quite a while (Astros)...:hungry:

KEEP GOING REDS!!!... :up:up:up

Oh big whoop. See you at the Jake. We want revenge!

You know I brought this up a while back on this site. How could you be a Pirates fan when the team is always lousy? I'm not trying to be sarcastic but I feel bad for the Pirates. I mean a team with all that history and they are out of the playoffs by today.
I have seen on this thread about how they should clean house including scouting but I kind of disagree. What they need to do is keep the guys they develop. I'm talking about keeping guys like Jason Bay.

I was raised a Pirates fan, I've seen them win two World Series, go to the playoffs three years in a row. Just because they aren't playing good doesn't mean I will hate them.

When the Penguins and Steelers had down years I still rooted for them, eventually they will have a winning season, the odds are in their favor.

The new management they have came from the Indians, they sre suppose to make this team like them but it will take time.

How can you be a Mets fan when they blow it trying to make it to the playoffs two years in a row?

Your management has to either sell or step it up ... they need to clean house and get new people in there that have done it before, including scouting ....
Unfortunately that can be said for a lot of teams, not only baseball.
Lions are in the same situation, but they refused to bring in anyone that know how to run a business.

They already did that, they built a facility in the Dominican Republic, they actually paid a lot of money for a draft pick I will give them some time.

Hell the Brewers, Ray and Indians had bad years and look at them for the last few years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)