InterLeague Play

I would like to hear some of your valued opinions on Interleague play.

Personally.....I don't like it.

I'm with you, the novelty has worn of for me. IMO, it takes something away from both the All-Star Game and World Series.

Last edited:
I like it.

Cubs fan are probably sick of seeing the Pirates over and over again.

Ditto for fans of a certain team sick of playing another team.

I like it.

Cubs fan are probably sick of seeing the Pirates over and over again.

Ditto for fans of a certain team sick of playing another team.
I agree with the first two posters. I think interleague play diminishes the World Series and really diminishes the All Star Game. But I agree with you that the current schedule for within-the-league play sucks. I'm a Dodger fan. And I get so sick of the Rockies, Padres, Diamondbacks, and Giants. We play them over and over and over.

I think it would be nice for every AL team to play every other AL team (regardless of division) the same number of times and never play the NL except in the World Series. The same goes for the NL of course. I recognize that this will be difficult to do, since there are far more teams than there used to be. I also don't like the fact that such a schedule would involve more and longer trips for the teams, driving up prices and making the MLB carbon footprint even bigger than it already is.

So I don't see an ideal solution. I just know I cannot stand the thought of attending another Rockies or Padres game at Dodger Stadium.

I'm just sick of seeing the Royals, Indians & White Sux all the time. I'd like to see other teams here in MN more than once a year.

Some teams you see once at the beginning of the year and the announcers will say "the next time these two teams play each other is in August" (example) yet the Royals we'll see this week, next week, in 3 weeks, etc

I'm with you, the novelty has worn of for me. IMO, it takes something away from both the All-Star Game and World Series.

That's my main complaint. When I was a young boy I always thought the World Series was exciting because the teams had never played each other during the season or possiably never in their history. The only time I want to see the Cubs/Sox and the Mets/Yankees play each other is in the World Series. I think these are the only REAL interleague rivilies in baseball.

I think the teams should play their common opponents in their divisions then other teams in their league. When the Dodgers and the Giants played in Brooklyn and Harlem, they played 22 times a year, 11 at Ebbets Fire and 11 at the Polo Grounds. It was great.

I have other points, but I am waitng to see if others hit on them.

I think it is one of the best things MLB has ever done ! As I posted once before,I am tired of seeing the same old teams come into the Shea Stadium every other week.I am sick & tired of seeing the Phils,Marlins,Nats & Pirates.I'd love to see the rivalries stay intact BOS/NY etc.But reformulate the leagues & lets play everybody a few times.The game has become stale & it needs a change !!
Fire away !

I think it is one of the best things MLB has ever done ! As I posted once before,I am tired of seeing the same old teams come into the Shea Stadium every other week.I am sick & tired of seeing the Phils,Marlins,Nats & Pirates.I'd love to see the rivalries stay intact BOS/NY etc.But reformulate the leagues & lets play everybody a few times.The game has become stale & it needs a change !!
Fire away !

A Flyers fan who likes the Mets?

Interesting.

I thought fans of a Philly team liked all Philly teams.

I don't like it, but I don't particularly mind it.

My biggest beef is the amount of it.

The Indians play ONE AL team at home in the month of June (three-game series with the Twins). That's ridiculous.

Also, the scheduling's not exactly fair either.
My favorite NL club is the Cubs, but it's not right that they don't have to play the Red Sox or Yankees this year like every other NL Central team will.

Then you have to look at how it affects the rest of the schedule.
Before interleague, I remember going to Atlanta (I live in SC) twice each year to watch the Cubs. Now they only come for one series a year.
Also, the Indians had two series with the Yankees in April, and they won't see each other again this season.

How about just take a week each season to play one "rival" from the other league, and one other team chosen at random?

At least they never play interleague games in August or September.

This is another reason that I hate Inter League play.

This is a headline from MLB.com:

Wakefield baffling Reds in '75 Series rematch

If this was a rematch, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, Yaz, Carlton Fisk and Rico Petrocelli would be playing each other.

Get my point, Inter league sucks.

Im all for interleague play!

Personally im just sick and tired of seeing the Whitesox, Twins, Indians and Kansas City play Detroit every other week.

But seriously, they should really do away with playing a majority of the games with teams in your division and expand it to the entire league.

Back 70-80 years ago, it made sense to do it this way since most of the road trips where done either by bus or Train, and taking a train to Los Angeles would take forever.

But now the longest you can expect to be in a plane from NY to La is 7-9 Hours depending if you change flights!

Just came back from the exciting Royals v D.Backs matchup. There is something to the fact that, for me to ever see an AL team, I'd have to travel to SO. Cal....Rockies fans would have it worse and those in Seattle would never see an NL team. I like interleague but don't like the "unbalanced" schedule. I think this is the bigger issue. You can't tell if a team is doing great because they are in a division that is terrible or vice-versa. Look at the DBacks record in April / May when they were playing division foes. They were on fire until they had to take on the Pirates...and to get schallacked by the Royals????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)