It's Official - VOOM ON DISH NETWORK!

the change over.............

Wouldn't it only take an encoder and encryption change over to go from Voom's current configuration to one that is compatible on Echostar's satellites? I wonder if at 3AM EDST Sunday all they would do is shut off the current encoders and encryptions running the system and have Echostar staff there to re-fire the uplink with the new encoders and encryptions in place. Maybe they've got the equipment already hooked up so that if you have Dish already that it would seem like a seamless transfer. Watch Voom on the receivers at 3AM EDST Sunday and then at 3:01AM you'll be able to watch it on Dish. Just a speculation I had. Also, isn't the difference in encoding on both systems is that Voom uses Digicypher 2 technology while Dish uses DVB technology?

yep..same questions here. If anyone is following my saga, my condo board has halted all new sat installs, so unless I can get the HD channels with my current voom dish, I'm SOL.

I just saw the headline too.......

I've been watching HDNews for over 30 minutes now and have seen it 3 times already. :)

Just called E* and here's what I was told.

Promo for Voom customers switching
6 months free HD including the Voom channels (will be included in the HD pak and currently no additional charge)
6 months of the 180 SD channels at $19.99
Up to 4 room installation free (this is standard for them)
asked about a fifth room $277 extra
Up to 2 HD setups free
HD DVR free

All this requires a one year committment.

But,

She said I need to call back on May 1st for the promo as their system would not let them set anything up until then.

lostcause said:
yep..same questions here. If anyone is following my saga, my condo board has halted all new sat installs, so unless I can get the HD channels with my current voom dish, I'm SOL.
AFAIK they dont have a legal right to do that..

SKrueger said:
All this requires a one year committment.

But,

She said I need to call back on May 1st for the promo as their system would not let them set anything up until then.
Great.. Hey we have a good deal for you, unfortunately we can't give it to you until your current provider is already shut down.

Lucky said:
If you sign up for the HD pack only (and the HD channels are at 61.5) can you simply hook up your VOOM dish to Dish Network receivers and receive the channels ? In other words, if I do not want core channels can I use my VOOM dish to receive the HD channnels only ?

Remember that E* currently only has CBS-HD (for O&O markets) on 61.5. If the Voom channels end up on 61.5, you will still need 110 to get HDnet, HDnet Movies, Discovery HD, etc.

man it is sure busy in here this morning what good new for all voomers

t

SKrueger said:
Just called E* and here's what I was told.

Promo for Voom customers switching
HD DVR free

Has anyone confirmed that the DVR is totally free? Is it the 942? Is this just for current Voom subscribers (I've been gone a while).

I can't imagine them giving the 942 for free. I would be pissed, I paid $250 for it earlier this week when I signed up for Dish. Plus all of the existing customers that are dying to be able to lease one for $250 anyway.

Good news though, I knew I picked E* for a good reason. Now I wonder, am I going to have a superdish pointed at 105/110/119, plus my existing V* dish at 61.5? Man, thats a lot of crap for TV :)

I have a spare dish that I was going to point towards 61.5, guess it's my weekend project. Great news !!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
DISH Network Expands High-Definition Package with Addition of VOOM Programming
Friday April 29, 8:07 am ET
Lineup Will Include 10 Original VOOM HD Channels

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.

The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Customers can sign a one-year agreement and receive six free months of HD programming with high-definition receivers in up to two rooms at no charge. For a limited time, those who sign up can also receive more than 180 standard definition channels for only $19.99 a month for the first three months, plus a free DVR upgrade, with next-day installation.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com , call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For downloadable, print quality images of DISH Network equipment, installations or the DISH Network logo, visit www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/presskit/print/index.shtml .

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH - News) serves more than 11 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network ranks No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Cable/Satellite TV Subscribers by J.D. Power and Associates. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EchoStar Communications Corporation
Mark Cicero, 720-514-5065
mark.cicero@echostar.com
I'm betting that I will see something on the screen Sunday from them.

If that DVR is free Im a happy lil bastard....

Thanks you guys so much for all the GREAT advice and help, I will call dish with a clear conscious...Thanks to everybody here................

I told You so!

The folks at Dish are smart. They just became the NUMBER ONE provider of HD content.

That's pretty impressive, you DISH haters have to admit.

I'm sorry you Voomers are left holding your boxes, but I'm glad that this has worked for you guys and gals that stuck with Voom to the end.

zombie said:
AFAIK they dont have a legal right to do that..

unfortunately they do. If your private patio doesn't face the right direction, they don't have to let you install a dish on the roof or anywhere considered a common area. See my thread in the general satellite forum. I'm looking for help in getting this resolved.

This is good news, but like others not the news I wanted to hear. I would have much prefered to receive the channels as a stand alone package from a KU-FSS satellite. I guess I'll wait and see as that may still be an option. I will not go back to E* :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)