It's Official - VOOM ON DISH NETWORK!

Pertinent Questions

Sean Mota said:
Remaining questions before you sign up:

1 - which satellite are these channels going to be. If they are at 61.5, you will need an extra Dish pointing at 61.5 (you may use the VOOM dish as well).

2 - will these channels be part of the HD pack or will they be in another tier. If they are in the HD pack, you may sign up for the HD pack only with Dish Network.

3 - how much is the HD pack going to cost now?

We nee more details.

Good point Sean! I was about to cancel my Comcast install for tomorrow. But I will wait until I hear such details. I'm guessing that it will be part of their HD pack (same tier with others) because what they had up to this point was too pathetic to charge $$$ for (just like D*). I wonder if the deal is exclusive. If I was E* I would buy the Voom originals outright (if possible) in order to have something that other Cable and D* could not have. If only they had Kungfu and World Sport too! At least Comcast has no contract (they can be dropped on a dime). I might also wait until E* goes to M-PEG4. The best thing is that this keeps up the pressure on Sat and Cable companies to increase HD content (their collective sighs of relief is over before it started).
Wayne

I just signed up..!! This is great!! Though steep on the HD DVR, I went with the regular reciever and dvr on the analog TV....there is NO FREE HD DVR. Still gotta dish out $250 for the activation fee....

Once again Dish is going to screw existing customers. No offers for existing Voom/Dish customers. No lease on the 942 only a purchase on the 921. You can lease a 811 for $50 upfront and $5 per month. Requires a one year commitment to Americas Top 60 or above to get the lease. This offer ends on April 30th and will not be extended.

Talk about pressure to make decisions! Think I will wait and see where this goes. Maybe the Voom STB's can be used for the Voom programming but I really doubt it.

salsadancer7 said:
I just signed up..!! This is great!! Though steep on the HD DVR, I went with the regular reciever and dvr on the analog TV....there is NO FREE HD DVR. Still gotta dish out $250 for the activation fee....

So it is my understanding you get a free 4 room hookup with 2 free HD receivers, but there is a $ 250 activation fee. So in effect a 4 room hookup with 2 HD receivers cost you $ 250. Correct ?

QUOTE:“DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.”
"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry."

Best my arse. Dish and all the others still suck!

I frankly don't know what all the excitement is about with Dish. Personally, I'd only watch about 3 of those channels, but then that's just me.

V* was going to add 70!!! new HD channels to the 39 it already had. It's pretty damn sad that D* is now the "LEADER" with their paltry HD offering. We'd all be watching over 100 HD channels by now, and I'm sure with V*'s DVR (now THAT would have been a LEADER!!!) except that all those bozos who bought HDTV's didn't have the smarts to sign on to VOOM.

I switched over to Charter Communications Digital Cable for $55/month, which reflects a $25/month credit for 12 months ($300 not the $200 D* is offering) for being a satellite subscriber; although I don't think you really have to be because they never asked me to provide ANY proof that I was. The package includes a neat Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD DVR (for no initial cost at NO rental charge for at least the first 12 months-Why would you pay $250 for one from Dish? :confused: ), HBO, Cinemax and STARZ. You also have the choice of one more premium package (see below). There are NO upfront costs and NO COMMITMENT whatsoever!

There is also a 30-day moneyback guarantee (i.e. try it for 30 days for free). Mine was installed the day after I called. It took about fifteen minutes. You've got nothing to lose by trying it out for free.

I love the DVR (don't know how I lived without one). Naturally, I'm down to only a handful of HD programming - ESPNHD, NESNHD, HBOHD, DiscoveryHD, ShowtimeHD, WCVB(ABC ch.5), WFXT(FOX ch.35), WHDH(NBC ch.7) and my four local HD's. The package also includes 6 HBO's, 8 Cinemax and 6 Encore channels, all in SD.

Dish's pick-up of those VOOM HD's is not even a temptation for me to switch to them. It would take a lot more than what D* and dish are offering to tempt me; and even then I'd think long and hard. I haven't had D* for a few years and I still have a very bad taste in my mouth. And I've read some pretty nasty customer reviews on Dish.

I'll wait till something like VOOM comes along. (Which, sadly, will probably be a VERY long time.) When it does, I will painlessly make the switch because I'm under NO commitment whatsoever.

I'll feel a pang in my heart for VOOM for a long time but $55 a month for one year is, to me, darn good for what I get. Get Dish or D*, pay your up-front costs, make your commitment, get your x months at a reduced cost and then take a look at your bill.

P.S. The PQ on many SD channels sucks compared to VOOM, but so did D* when I had it and I'll bet it sucks on Dish and every other provider. Also, the customer support at Charter could not be any better. I've called the a couple of dozen times with various and sundry questions and I've always got CSR virtually immediately 24/7.

P.P.S. Just noticed a post that Dish will carry all of VOOM's 21 channels sometime NEXT year. You can bet that the other satellite and cable operations will be talking to Rainbow too in the meantime.

Premium Packages:
FAMILY DIGITAL TIER
BBC America/Discovery Home Channel/Military Channel/Do It Yourself/Discovery Kids
Nickelodeon Too-West//Noggin/Nickelodeon Games and Sports/Nickelodeon Toons
Soap Net/FOX Movie Channel/Lifetime Movie Network/Women's Entertainment
Independent Film Channel/Sundance-East The Science Channel/Discovery Health/
Discovery Times/Bloomberg/Biography/ History Channel International/
Fuse (Much Music)VH Uno/MTV Espanol/ MTV Jams/MTV Hits/VH-1 Classic/
VH-1 Soul/VH-1 Mega Hits/VH-1 Country/Great American Country/Jewelry TV/AZN

MOVIE DIGITAL TIER:
Showtime Too-East/Showtime Showcase-East/Showtime Extreme-East
Showtime Beyond-East/FLIX-E/The Movie Channel-East/TMC Xtra

SPORTS DIGITAL TIER:
ESPNews/ESPN Classic/Fox College Sports – Atlantic/Fox College Sports - Central
Fox College Sports – Pacific/Fox Sports en Espanol/Fox Soccer Channel
NFL Network/Fuel/CSTV - College Sports Television/TVG/Fit TV

Could someone just verify this for me ? It is in effect $ 250 (after the activation fee) for a 4 room (2 HD) setup ? I am confused by this. First I heard the four room setup is free, now I am hearing there is a $ 250 activation fee ? How does this work ? Is it free or $ 250 ?

Lucky.....this is what i was offered:

2 rooms...one FREE HD reciever..one FREE standard reciever with a FREE dvr on the analog TV....1 year contract...free equipment maintenance...the complete DISH package for 64.99 for 1st 3 months...then $91(not including tax after promotion is up)...AND if I want to add an additional 2 rooms...it is free as long as I do within the promotion time...

No activation fee for DVR - just $4.99 a month service fee

I just upgraded my DISH order from the 2 HD receivers to adding the DVR - the rep said no additional fee for the upgrade and nothing about any activation fee, just a $4.99 a month service fee for the DVR.

Also got my initial 180 channel package lowered from $31.99 to $19.99 for the 1st 3 months.

nnicko said:
QUOTE:“DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.”
"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry."

Best my arse. Dish and all the others still suck!

I frankly don't know what all the excitement is about. Personally, I'd only watch about 3 of those channels, but then that's just me.

I have to agree. I would much rather have seen a few more of the cinema 10 channels than these, especially fu. At the VERY least they could have combined the content from those onto a few more channels.

denmarkdave52 said:
I just upgraded my DISH order from the 2 HD receivers to adding the DVR - the rep said no additional fee for the upgrade and nothing about any activation fee, just a $4.99 a month service fee for the DVR.

Also got my initial 180 channel package lowered from $31.99 to $19.99 for the 1st 3 months.

You ordered a SD DVR not the 942 or 921 HD DVR.

Just to add, the SD STB's and SD DVR's will not tune the HD channels from the sat with Dish Network.

Agreed nnicko. I'm glad Voom still lives on in some way but there is still hope. Dishnetwork agreement is not exclusive so once the cable companies pick up on it, Dish will not be the HD leader. I had e* and won't go back. If your a new customer all is well but don't expect anything from them after you sign the dotted line.

The funny thing is, I was an existing customer with comcast and they did everything they could to get my business back. See if e* will do that for existing customers.

ravensong said:
I have to agree. I would much rather have seen a few more of the cinema 10 channels than these, especially fu. At the VERY least they could have combined the content from those onto a few more channels.
Have patience. It's coming. :)

GEEEZZZ.....folks...take a chill pill.....2 weeks ago we were bitching that we had NONE of the VOOM21 ....we VOOMERS get a NEW LIFE....and yet you guys are STILL gonna bitch and complain about what ya DIDN'T get!! The cup is half FULL...look at it that way!! Considering what we were possibly instore for....a little at a time...I can deal with.....DAMN!!

So are the Voom channels just an augmentation of their HD pack (no additional cost), or are they treated as a set of premium channels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)