Kijiji, eBay, and Craigslist dishes for you to take a look at

In Sacramento, a 3 hour minimum 65-90 foot boom truck will cost you $350. You could remove the dish and install on a new mount in that time period!

Me and my friends mounted a Paraclipse Classic 12 footer without a crane but a crane would have been much easier and safer. This antenna comes with a 5' square pole attached to the polar mount that is designed to slide over a 3.5 " pole. It takes much more effort to install since you have to lift the whole antenna assembly about 6 feet (the mount itself would be about 10 feet in the air) so that you can slide it onto the 3.5" pole. Not an easy or safe task even with 4 of us doing so. And that was when we were younger men. So, the point is that the installation doesn't always go as fast or as safe as it could be. Just sayin'.

Reactions: martin-f
I guess I should call you "Sir" if you can wrestle a 10' satellite dish off a pole and carry it down. Someone could operate the lift from the ground controls...

Gubmint safety guidelines dictate using a lift to disengage the assembly from the pole and a crane to yard it off and lower it down.
I did wrestle a 10' Pinnacle onto a pole once ;) I use a gin pole now. That man lift is operated from the bucket only. You even drive it down the road from the bucket, facing backwards too. Don't know what engineer figured that out. :coco The rental company didn't have the crane he wanted so they told him the man-lift would handle the job just fine. They didn't have much problem except for the tree above the house. Ugly prune job inserted here.

You are always a real ray of sunshine aren't you? YES, it can and HAS been done with a Sawzall and rope, and the dish brought down intact. It's all tied off, and the pole is cut partway through, and the whole thing is then lowered down like it's on a hinge.
30' of 5" schedule 80 pipe is over 600 pounds (20.8lb/ft) all by itself. Add to that a good sized dish on a 30' moment arm and you've got a pretty serious urge to come down. As it approaches the ground, the rope is essentially less and less useful until it becomes useless at just about the point where the dish hits the ground (and the mast will have given up the ghost).
Myself and another guy used to install 40' antenna towers, fully intact, by lifting them up this way with a rope.
Unless you're standing quite a bit higher than the bottom of the mast, you're at a significant physical disadvantage just trying to pull up something that weighs more than you do. Your force is mostly horizontal where you need to be putting in all of your effort just to lift it vertically. Of course if you're cheating and standing on something relatively tall or using a cherry picker, you're argument is void.

Those mobile lifts are awesome fun to play with. It's worth the $500/hr just for the fun of it! And end up with a satellite dish in your truck to boot... can't go wrong!
:)
But seriously though some jobs just aren't worth it, considering insurance and liability. Have run into that a few times. If something ever went wrong... in such a litigious society we live in these days....

Prodelin 6 foot fiberglass TX/RX dish FREE in Edmonton Alberta Canada
Cham do you need another dish? :) Or is stecle from your neck of the woods. Looks almost brand new
Satellite, dish antenna fiber glass W/LNB | Electronics | Edmonton | Kijiji

$_59.jpg $_539.jpg $_591.jpg $_592.jpg $_594.jpg

7.5 foot satellite dish (maybe Unimesh) $1 in pueblo colo with what looks like an AJAK :clapping:happydance

satellite dish

View attachment 134645 View attachment 134646 View attachment 134647

OMG, I wish I could get that Ajak! I wish it was closer to me. Somebody better grab it before he junks it. I have a full size Ajak H180 stuck in the shed I'll never be able to use now, but it's too large for this new dish. The one in this ad looks like the slightly smaller model, and would make a good mate to my new SAMI 7.5' dish.

If anybody can get this Ajak and ring from the guy, and wants to trade it for a fullsize Ajak H180, I'm the guy who'll do that, if we can figure out shipping arrangements for trading.

OMG, I wish I could get that Ajak! I wish it was closer to me. Somebody better grab it before he junks it. I have a full size Ajak H180 stuck in the shed I'll never be able to use now, but it's too large for this new dish. The one in this ad looks like the slightly smaller model, and would make a good mate to my new SAMI 7.5' dish.

If anybody can get this Ajak and ring from the guy, and wants to trade it for a fullsize Ajak H180, I'm the guy who'll do that, if we can figure out shipping arrangements for trading.

do we have any members in Colorado to help out? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I also would hate to see an AJAK go to waste even the smaller ones.

wait a minute …. hank123 is in Colorado maybe he can help

Suggested use as a gazebo or solar panel array? Are they nuts? Why are all these people getting rid of their dish when there's still a lot to watch? If that's a recent photo then it would be good for it's intended purpose. If people would put their dishes to their intended use, maybe we would still have C-band subscriptions available. Westminster is about a 4 hour drive but I'm not going to rescue the dish.

Suggested use as a gazebo or solar panel array? Are they nuts? Why are all these people getting rid of their dish when there's still a lot to watch? If that's a recent photo then it would be good for it's intended purpose. If people would put their dishes to their intended use, maybe we would still have C-band subscriptions available. Westminster is about a 4 hour drive but I'm not going to rescue the dish.

Those sorts of people only have their ancient analog receivers, so they can't see any channels. They never bother much in checking whether anything is still there via the web or asking questions, they just ASSUME it's all shut down. So, they want to get rid of the dishes.

Those sorts of people only have their ancient analog receivers, so they can't see any channels. They never bother much in checking whether anything is still there via the web or asking questions, they just ASSUME it's all shut down. So, they want to get rid of the dishes.
What, they don't like having a 10-foot dish just to be able to watch C-SPAN? :)

Most of the large "free" dishes around here are people looking to sell their property and the realter tells them to remove the dish to improve curb appeal. The last few dishes I have seen on kajiji locally have been the same story. The latest one I picked up was an Andrews I now have pointed at 97W, works awsome!

Did hope to pick up a 12' CM dish on a 25' pole but the cost for the crane and permits was prohibitive, would have been cheaper to purchase a new one! The fellow did sell his property dish and all, but the last drive-by the dish was gone. I suspect they just unscrewed the mounting bolts and let it fall, and off to the dump it went.

Reactions: john_robot