KUIL Update!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pf100

Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
What happened to KUIL on AMC4?

I'm getting zero signal on tp 11708 vertical which is what I've been watching it on for i guess a month now. This morning it was working. Now it's just gone, just like that. I seriously doubt it's a problem with my equipment because every other tp on every other sat that I know about works fine and I'm experienced at FTA. I read on this forum and someone suggested to use tp 11710 instead which I tried. Actually, I tried tp's 11705 through 11711 just for laughs and nothing. Is it just me? I can't find another post about KUIL being gone, so if it turns out to be something wrong on my end, I apologize in advance. But I don't think so. Thanks.

looks like storms in the area right now

Thanks Iceburg. I can't believe I didn't think of that (smacks forehead). Appreciate the heads up. I'll wait it out until it's back and relax now. You are the man.

Ah, so that's actually where the uplink is? I knew it was a Beaumont, TX station. Are all FTA stations like that? The uplink is in the town the station is in? If so, I just learned something new. Now I know to check the weather in the town the station is from if it's gone before I post.

not really

KUIL is the sister station of the Fox in Lake Charles, LA which is on the border there too of the Gulf of Mexico. Its in that vicinity

When Equity was up (RIP :( ) they were based in Little Rock even thought they had stations across the country. They were unique but usually the tower is in the city of license (or near it)

RTV (Retro TV) that is on 83W is based in Chattanooga, TN

not really

KUIL is the sister station of the Fox in Lake Charles, LA which is on the border there too of the Gulf of Mexico. Its in that vicinity

When Equity was up (RIP :( ) they were based in Little Rock even thought they had stations across the country. They were unique but usually the tower is in the city of license (or near it)

Beaumont is just a tad north of me. We have been having some very nasty storms the past few days. I too see that the channel is gone from the satellite. :(

Beaumont weather radar --> Current Lake Charles NEXRAD Radar Map : Weather Underground

not really

Yep. I was basing what I knew on equity's central uplink. Now I know a little more than I did. Well, on another note, since I can hijack my own thread, I'm gonna move my dishes around today and see what all I can get with my 2 Primestars. One is staying on AMC4, the other, I'm not sure yet. It's on White Springs right now, but I saw Mike Kohl's (one of my heroes) post about Telstar 14 and may try it, even though I have a 33" dish and the footprint in my area calls for a 39". I have a 4 foot dish I would drag out and set up but I have a sprained ankle. Enough of my rambling. Thanks for the info.

Mine was dead last night did a blind scan looking if they changed something, didn't help. Don't know what happened :(

Beaumont, Texas (PWS)
Updated: 9 min 18 sec ago
Clear
88.2 °F
Clear
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's still AWOL, just did a blind scan and it hasn't moved to a new transponder.
:(

Beaumont, Texas (PWS)
Updated: 9 min 18 sec ago
Clear
88.2 °F
Clear
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's still AWOL, just did a blind scan and it hasn't moved to a new transponder.
:(

Maybe the uplink got taken down in the storms :(

This reminds me of a time a year ago when White Springs TV out of Florida took a lightning strike at the uplink site and took it off the air for a few days untill they found replacement 16 watt rail mount KU band 70mhz HPA and buck.

Had a lot of folks thinking WSTV went under at that time. So hopefully Kuil-TV will be back on the air soon. I haven't any contacts with the station out of Buemont TX so I can't call them to find out. However, anyone on this site that lives in Texas should be able to call the local station to find out and report back on what is going on.

couple thoughts as to why they are not working
-weather
-possibly not needed. Even though they are a low powered station, they do have a digital station up and running. The maximum a LP station can run at is 15000 watts. According to a couple FCC maps I saw, the digital signal is traveling FARTHER than the analog.
analog map
FM and TV Service Area Maps

digital map
FM and TV Service Area Maps

its possible the cable companies nearby can get the digital signal OTA so the analog satellite signal isnt needed.

remember too...KUIL use to be Fox. They lost that affiliation January 1. Cable companies farther away from Beaumont would carry a network affiliate before carrying an independent. If they wanted a clean signal the satellite feed would have been better than OTA

just a thought....I'm hoping its point 1 but have a feeling its point 2

The sky is crystal clear in the entire area. There is no way that weather is causing the outage.

A few days ago we had some very nasty storms and some tornadoes touched down in the Beaumont area. I have not seen any mention on the local news websites of damage to a tv station.

I don't get regular tv anymore so I can't check to see if they are still transmitting locally. My folks are out of town so I can't have them check either but I think they will be back tomorrow and I'll ask them then.

It's possible they were hit by lightning.

Or the most likely suspect, as you know, the channel is apparently run by Lamar University STUDENTS. If Lamar has anything to do with it, that explains it being broken.
(FYI, Lamar is a sad, sad, sad excuse of a community college. Kids go there to learn Drinkin, Druggin & Failin..)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)