Looking for Voom customers to interview

SteveDonohue

Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I'm working on a follow-up story for Multichannel News about Cablevision's sale of some Voom assets to EchoStar, and I'd like to interview some Voom customers for the article. Mainly, I'd like to know what Voom customers thought of the service and the HD programming, and what Voom customers may do after the service shuts down -- will they get programming from EchoStar, DirecTV or cable. If you are Voom subscriber, and wouldn't mind answering a few quick questions, please call me or e-mail me your contact information.
Thanks very much,
Steve Donohue
National Editor
Multichannel News
646/746-6540
sdonohue@reedbusiness.com

Mr. Donohue,

I will admit right up front that I hadn't ever heard of Multichannel News but a Google search turned up 578,000 results so you must have been in the news yourselves! Will call tomorrow (Tues.) between 10-11 PST if you are still interested in hearing from a current VOOM subscriber who has had the service warts and all from 12-12-03. Briefly, we love it and won't know what to watch without it.

Still watching HDTV under clear (we can see the moon!) Seattle skies, Gill

Walter:
Not all VOOM subs feel like writing a "thank you" to Mr. Dolan. In reality the VOOM fiasco has probably done more to hurt HDTV than to help it. When the other satellite companies and cable operators propose increasing the number of HD channels that they offer someone will forever point to VOOM and say - "VOOM had 39 HD channels, plus HD locals for most customers and no one wanted to sign up - why should we bother?"

jnardone said:
Not all VOOM subs feel like writing a "thank you" to Mr. Dolan.
Who say ALL? In fact, I didn't write one.
jnardone said:
In reality the VOOM fiasco has probably done more to hurt HDTV than to help it.
You call VOOM a fiasco, that's just your opinion. On another (unrelated)thread, I called D* a fiasco because of HDTiVO. Samething appies, that's just my opinion.

jnardone said:
Walter:
Not all VOOM subs feel like writing a "thank you" to Mr. Dolan. In reality the VOOM fiasco has probably done more to hurt HDTV than to help it. When the other satellite companies and cable operators propose increasing the number of HD channels that they offer someone will forever point to VOOM and say - "VOOM had 39 HD channels, plus HD locals for most customers and no one wanted to sign up - why should we bother?"

Where's your logic with that statement. Dish, Directv and my cable provider only offer 6 HD channels. I will not sign up for another HD service unless they can compare to VOOM.

That is my point - Dish, DirectTV, and cable will be in no hurry to add more HD - Why - because VOOM did it and it didn't work.

Maybe someone should point out the huge number of us who were subscribed to two or more services(i.e. VOOM for HD content and Dish as a backup for VOOM failure)? That is more than enough proof that there are people interested in paying for HD.

Also, we should count the huge number of subs that VOOM lost to growing pains(bad install/service etc...), that at least shows that they would consider paying for good HD programming. Just because VOOM only had 26,000 subs doesn't mean there isn't more of a market for it.

Now if only someone could deliver the HD programming and service.

IMO VOOM was the only service trying to give us more HD content. The others are only trying to keep up with the other available services.

PhilipF said:
Maybe someone should point out the huge number of us who were subscribed to two or more services(i.e. VOOM for HD content and Dish as a backup for VOOM failure)?
I do understand how some people keep other services as a supplement. However, I have a hard time understanding why somebody will keep paying extra-monthly fee for a "backup" service. When VOOM goes dark, all it takes is a call to a cable or another DBS company and you get service again.

There really aren't any "huge" numbers when it comes to VOOM. If you add up every person who ever subscribed it can't be more than 100,000.

I am not saying that there is not a market for HD content. I am saying that people will use VOOM's failure to argue against that fact.

Walter L. said:
I do understand how some people keep other services as a supplement. However, I have a hard time understanding why somebody will keep paying extra-monthly fee for a "backup" service. When VOOM goes dark, all it takes is a call to a cable or another DBS company and you get service again.
I planned on dropping Dish soon but continued to use it for additional content and for the DVR.
Dish as a backup was only till the VOOM install was complete and I saw VOOM as being reliable enough to be a replacement. The negative tone on this forum made me skeptical about trusting VOOM as a stand alone service.
Even the CSR who signed me up suggested that I keep the Dish service till the install was done?

I agree with your logic, but VOOM's failure shouldn't be looked at as a failure for HD but as a failure of a company that was in over it's head.
But as you said, it will be turned around and pointed to as proof that there isn't enough interest in HDTV.

Unfortunately for us and VOOM, the only huge numbers associated with VOOM were the costs.

Failure

I think this is a failure on two levels:

1. Obviously, it's a failure for CVC offering premium services (i.e. HDTV). Spending that kind of money and not getting anything in return can be called nothing but a failure.

2. Failure for HDTV. Contrary to what those of us who hang out around here would like to believe most people just don't care about HDTV enough to spend more for it or add more equipment--even if it's free--in order to view it. It has always been a, "nice to have," rather than a, "need to have." Take a look at DTV's numbers and Dish's numbers with respect to HDTV. I don't know what the most recent numbers are but I believe they were looking at less than 5% of subs who were viewing HDTV through their services. People just aren't ready for it.

I, for one, have really liked what Voom tried to offer but had worried from the start (read some of my earlier messages) whether enough people would sign up to make it viable--not just with Voom but overall with ALL services. The people who hang out here are way more technically savy than most people. It's easy for us to hook up an stb, tweak our systems and other things to get the most out of them. We don't mind the countless reboots, the hours wasted waiting for pg information and hours of viewing sparklies on SD channels (well, I had gotten tired of it about 2 weeks ago). Most people WILL NOT stand for all of this.

Heck, even if the darn thing worked as advertised they would have a tough time getting enough subs to make it a profitable business.

I always talk about my experiences with home theater. I've been doing home theater since before they called it home theater. My system has always been closer to the top of the line than the middle or low end. My friends/family ALWAYS comment on how great my system sounds, how awesome the picture is, how VERY cool it is to experience a movie on my system. Want to know how many of these people actually went out and bought a home theater system (even a cheap one) in 15 (or so) years? Exactly zero. None. Sure people I know may have a system but those people already got a system and they aren't upgrading because of my system. HD is the same thing. Very cool until you look into the pain of getting involved (and, no matter what you say, it's painful to get started).

Oh, same thing with dvrs. I had a first gen Tivo and have had a DirecTivo for about 3 years now. I know of exactly one person (other than online friends from home theater/satellite bbs) who actually has a Tivo no matter how cool they think it is. I gave my first gen Tivo to my in-laws (with a lifetime sub) over a year ago. They still have shown no interest in having me set it up. I tried to give it to my wife's sister and bro-in-law. They watch a LOT of tv. They didn't even want it--even for FREE!

So we all just need to get our heads out of the sane and understand we're not like most consumers. Most consumers want to keep using whatever they have now (a 13" black and white TV would be good enough for many-ok, maybe not) and they don't want to buy new equipment or be inconvenienced in any way.

Voom was a great idea but an idea which just didn't have much of a chance from the start.

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)