MPEG4 Upgrade Discussion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ahruska

Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
MPEG4 Question

I'm relatively new to DIRECTV and have a few questions about MPEG4. When Directv changes to MPEG4, will all suscribers (SD and HD) be required to get the 5 LNB dish and new receivers or just HD suscribers? Also, does anyone know when MPEG4 will be launched? Thanks!

It is being rolled out in a step method, but eventually everyone will be done. The top 12 are the only known markets for now. The rest may take 2 years, maybe not, only DirecTV knows for sure.

I have an internal HD Directv receiver and live in NY. When the conversion takes place is there anything that I will be able to get in HD from Directv with my current setup? Or will I have to buy a new HD receiver. I plan to make a stink about that.....I would like some sort of deal on a new Hd receiver.

Only DirecTV can tell you for sure. Since you are in the first 12 they may know, but you will have to call and ask them.

I currently have a Hughes HD receiver and the latest dish configuration. Will DTV be replacing my receiver and dish when the MPEG4 comes on line?? What will the dish configuration be?? Will the new dish fit the existing mount or will a new mount be required?? My dish is installed on a tile roof and replacing the mount is something I will have to do if it is required.
When is this schedules to happen??

Nothing has been released, but you WILL need a new receiver & dish as the current ones are not compatible with MPEG4 and/or the new orbital locations. No one knows for 100% certain how or when they will replace ANYTHING or what the costs will be or to whom. Will 2yr and up subs get it free? How about 1yr? How about everyone? Will there be requirements to fulfill new contacts? No one knows till DirecTV rolls it out. Everything else is mere speculation.

charper1 said:
Nothing has been released, but you WILL need a new receiver & dish as the current ones are not compatible with MPEG4 and/or the new orbital locations.

Will we need multiple dishes?

How many dishes?

Where will they face?

(For HD)

Kentstater72 said:
Will we need multiple dishes?

How many dishes?

Where will they face?

(For HD)

1 5-LNB dish will hit the new satellites and the old satellites.
The new satellite's orbital slots are at 99 deg. and 103 deg.

So if your current dish is able to get the 101 well, you should be all set.

The top 12 markets will be first but the plan is to have all HD customers upgraded within a year. You will need a new HD box and dish. From what I've heard is that the new dish will require a new mount and it would be one dish that will have 5LNBs on it. It will have the normal three LNBs that the current triple LNB dish has plus an extra two KA LNBs that will be at different slots. All 5LNBs will be packaged together on one dish but the dish itself will be bigger but will still stay below the FCC limits as far as being allowed to put up a dish with deeds and such.

Now all customers when asked to swapout their boxes will get at least an equal replacement for free or a very small fee like 25 bucks and this will stand. Also the NFL Sunday Ticket screwjob is bad but unlike NFL Sunday Ticket if they screw us on the boxes we can and will have more reason to go with another provider for TV service. That is a very big difference when you can go somewhere else for TV service while you can't get NFL Sunday Ticket anywhere else. I think they were stupid with the Sunday Ticket packages but they know they can't get away with screwing HD subs with hardware swapouts. If they don't know this they deserve to lose customers and we owe it to D* to leave them. Now I don't think that is the case but this company has changed their minds more times than Bush has on why were in Iraq.

With all the extra capacity to be added with the three launches this year, does D* plan to keep the separate 95W setup, or move those international services and CricketTicket to one of the new birds?

ramcm7 said:
With all the extra capacity to be added with the three launches this year, does D* plan to keep the separate 95W setup, or move those international services and CricketTicket to one of the new birds?

The two new birds are exclusively for HD Locals.
The DirecTV 8 bird is a replacement for an existing satellite.
They are not licensed to add additional channels to DirecTV 8.

To answer directly, we don't know, but I would doubt it.

Hogarth said:
The two new birds are exclusively for HD Locals.
The DirecTV 8 bird is a replacement for an existing satellite.
They are not licensed to add additional channels to DirecTV 8.

To answer directly, we don't know, but I would doubt it.

DirecTV could use DirecTV 8 for national HD channels using its KA payload but the KU payload might free up a few HD channel spots because I assume the satellite is a higher power satellite so they can pump more channels than before but don't think that much more at least on the KU payload. Now DirecTV has more than enough KA licenses so I would expect as many HD national channels that could be stuffed into the DirecTV 8 KA payload.

I also agree that their will be at least 2 - 4 new HD offerings to help satisfy some HD hunger during the HD-LIL roll out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)