My New Dish Farm

We had 3 days of major winds... I LOST 103w/99w (my 1.2meter) It rotated or something... That is also my radio station. I had to snow blow this morning, and i got two hiccups of radio signal in a 30 minute period that told me that it is an alignment issue. I also had a solar panel lift up and flip over and rip the power cord out... And to top it off, im SICK, thanks to my son... It took everything i had to fix the solar panel, and I'm shot for the day.. So, 103w and 99w will just have to wait until I don't feel like the floor of a taxi cab... o_O Luckily, i have a DW news IP stream i can watch.

Hopefully, there aren't other issues...

We had 3 days of major winds... I LOST 103w/99w (my 1.2meter) It rotated or something... That is also my radio station. I had to snow blow this morning, and i got two hiccups of radio signal in a 30 minute period that told me that it is an alignment issue. I also had a solar panel lift up and flip over and rip the power cord out... And to top it off, im SICK, thanks to my son... It took everything i had to fix the solar panel, and I'm shot for the day.. So, 103w and 99w will just have to wait until I don't feel like the floor of a taxi cab... o_O Luckily, i have a DW news IP stream i can watch.

Hopefully, there aren't other issues...

Sorry to hear it! Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: iBoston
Still sick, but with it being 64 degrees outside and aspirin doing its job, i took a meter up to the storage container and manually rotated the dish through brute force (didn't take much) until i heard the signal come back in strong. Literally spent less than 30 seconds.. The only thing i cannot get is the PBS stuff on 99w. Good enough for now. Ill wait until im all better before i do a proper fine tune and re-weld of a broken support arm.

I just wanted my DW back and my radio back.

Okay, i feel much much better today.. I'm over the hump. I got outside, and fine tuned the main dish, and gained an additional 1dB and then re-adjusted the side-car lnbf for 99.5 and gained an additional .5 dB that way, and am now pulling in the PBS mux there, which i know is a hard mux to lock.

Man oh man, does it take a LONG time to lock the FSIE (11995 v 2/3 1075) mux... It is taking 5+ seconds to lock it...

The hardest part is getting the welder up there. I then painted where i welded and any rust spots that were on the dish.

99w - 11995 12.5dB
99w - 11770 11.5dB
99w - 12096 8.25dB
99w - 12140 9.25dB

103w - 12143 16dB
103w - 12079 13.5dB
103w - 12120 14.25dB
103w - 11911 10.5dB

P1050109.JPG

P1050110.JPG

Last edited:
Okay, since the radio services moved from 103 to 101, i already had a dish covering 101w. So, i moved the cable over for the radio station satellite receiver. I have a bullet LNBF on 101/97, so i cannot put my quad on it for the extra coax i needed. But since 101 doesn't have any Horizontal signals, i went ahead and piped the one H signal to the house network, and the other to the outside radio satellite receiver.

I then moved the dish that was pointed at 125w to 105w to pick up the one FTA veterans service.

Reactions: Keith Brannen
Hahaha.. Its been a busy summer.. So, i forgot i moved 125w to 105w, and couldn't remember which darn dish was pointing at 105w... I was scratching my head not remembering... I am glad i post my work on this forum... It all makes sense now!!!

Now that i have that straight in my head, i can figure out where I'm going from here. I noticed that when we had snow last week, i lost the radio channels on 101. So, my 36" dish may not make me happy enough. The 39" i used for 105w might be a good way to go and dedicate that for 101w .

I have a couple extra 39" inch dishes that i don't use. I figured it was better to hook them up than to let them continue collecting dust. I was aiming for some far east satellites, but came to the realization that the location i chose for one dish, which is where my USALS was, is probably not good for the <45 degrees. I think some apple trees might be in the way. So, i locked the dish at 129w for Reuters.

If i have time, ill try the last spare 39" for 15w (probably not lock able - too low from horizon) 22w or 45w as those are the last locations i don't have fixed locations at.

I have made this mistake a few times. I hook up a new dish, and i don't quite lock it down enough. The last dish i setup was @129w. We had a 3 day wind storm, and by the end of it, i couldn't lock Reuters. This was about 1 week ago. Today, freakishly warm, got outside and re-tuned the dish, and got a better lock than before, and tightened it down hopefully enough.

Got my Reuters back! :whoo