My New FTA System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alsfta

Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Hi All,

Have a new system, Winegard 76cm, Foretec universal LBBF and a Skystar2 PCI card. So far I can only get pay sites (DirectTV, ExpressVu, etc.). For example, I can Nimig1 but not Galaxy 11? Both at 91W?. I best I can do is a signal that is about 70 percent. So being new, I have a few questions. Sorry if they seem obvious but I'll learn! Are settings different for payTV VS FTA birds. Are the signals stronger for Paytv and therefore the reason I can't get these birds is because my signal is too weak? Finally, I have about 100 ft of cable to my receiver, is this degrading the signal? By the way I'm in Vancouver BC.

Even one more question! Is it possible that I can't tune in (adjust the dish) to the FTA birds because I'm using a SatFinder with a universal LNBF?

Hello and welcome to SatelliteGuys.US

When you say pay sites do you mean "Pay Channels"?
100' of cable is fine.
There are two different kind of FTA satellite signals......

DBS needing a circular polarized LNB (Strong signals)

KU needing a linear polarized LNBF (not as strong)

Remember this is a "no hack talk" forum so if you are looking to get pay channels for free you are in the wrong place, if I have picked you up wrong keep the questions coming!

For DBS the L.O. should be 11250

For KU the L.O. should be (universal LNBF= 09750-10600)

No, I can only one Free feed on Nimig1, all the rest are encripted and of couse I can't "see" them. Is the Fortec the wrong LNB (model#FSKU-V)?

Cool I was trying to catch you out : ) We are being flooded with scum bags trying to steal satellite service!

This is the right LNBF for KU Free to air channels, it will not work (correctly) with the DBS satellites.

To find a KU satellite you would have to point the dish at one.....

And have the right Frequency entered...
also you will need to enter the correct polarity (H or V) and Symbol rate (S/R) Then look at the signal quality meter as you try to find the satellite by moving the dish, very slowly and with very small movements dwelling about 2-3 seconds each time you move the dish.

If you have a DBS LNB point at Nimiq (91w) then change to your Universal LNB and do a blind scan, most cards do not have blind scan so a transponder scan may work, or as above you will need to enter the coordinates for a live channels/TP then do a TP. scan

You know the hardest thing is that I can catch lots of birds with my little inline satfinder but I really am having a tough time fiquring out what bird I'm listening to. It there a program that will identify the bird I'm tuned into that I can run on my PC?

No you will have to do it the old fashioned way, enter the coordinates and watch for signal quality.

For G 11 use the below......

12060 Freq.
V Polarity
26.700 S/R

This is the Primedia Test card

Ok, Now I think I might be on to something. On your previous thread you mentioned a DBS LNB point on Nimig1. I get that with my Universal LNB! How is that possible. Wrong settings maybe?
Cheers Al

A Universal LNBF can sometimes pick up some DBS programming depending where you are in the country........ I pick up NASA for example with my KU LNBF. But this is just a fluke you really need the correct LNBF for the type of satellite you are aiming at. There is a new LNBF coming out next month that will do both. But for now Universal LNBF is for Linear satellites and a DBS LNB is for circular satellites.

Universal LNBF L.O. = 09750-10600

Thanks Peter, I'm starting to get a few light bulbs turned on upstairs but it's still a bit dark! Can you define Symbol Rate? I see the fields for input but it's always good to know what something IS, Right? By the way I have tuned into NASA too. Cheers Al

Someone just asked this the other day......

http://www.satsig.net/symbol01.htm

Effectively, this is a measure of how 'fast' data is sent from the satellite to your receiver.

"What's a symbol rate?

Like just about any form of digital transmission, the receiver has to know the rate at which the transmitter is sending information. In the computer world, we call this the bit rate. For example, PCs can transmit from their serial ports at up to 115,200 bits per second. Bit rate and baud rate are not the same, despite the fact that some people will turn blue trying to tell you that they are. The bit rate specifies how many bits per second are carried across the channel (phone line, serial cable or satellite transponder), however, the baud rate describes the rate that data is sent within the channel.

For example, suppose you invented a simple modem that transmitted at 50 bps by using two tones. One tone could signal a 1 needed to be sent and the other would signal 0. Now imagine that you wanted to double the transfer rate across the channel. By using four tones instead of two, you could signal two sets of bits at the same time by switching various combinations of the four tones. The baud rate is still 50 baud (i.e. the tone pairs change 50 times per second), however, the bit rate is now 100 bps. The combination of the sets of tones is called a "symbol" because too many people are confused by the term baud."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts