Neusat Sp-6000

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mine shipped UPS, I just happen to be home for lunch when it arrived. The UPS guy wastes no time. He had left a note on the door and rang the bell once. He was 1/2 way to the truck when I opened the door.

A few more thoughts of mine after having the receiver a while..

The not so good :

The blind scan, although it is a true blind scan.

I agree with Iceberg about scanning, just scan h then cancel after it pasess 12200 then scan the opposite polarity. It is also slow as I mentioned before, the Traxis 3500 smokes it, The coolsat 5000 is much faster.

Deleting channels is a pain after the blind scan, mine often logs encrypted channels even when I select FTA only. I have not figured out any easy way to select multiple channels to mark for deletion, and then hit ok. It's one by one, hit the red button to delete then hit ok to confirm. Its a slow process

I will agree with some of the others that while the menu system is colorful it is not very intuitive.

I have not found a way to save the channel list to the usb device.

The good:

Picture quality is very good. I have a Traxis 3500, Coolsat 5000, this Neusat and a Globecast receiver. For PQ using Svideo a 32" direct view LCD hdtv I would rate 1. Neusat 6000, 2 Coolsat 5000, 3 Globecast 4 traxis 3500. Results with a SD crt would most likely be a 4 way tie. the difference between the Coolsat and Globecast unit are very slight.

The remote. This may just be a preference but I think this remote is very good.

USB, although I have not found a way to save data from the unit to a usb drive it is very handy for the opposite direction.

I like the option of the two different strengtht / quality meters.

While it does not have a front panel quality/ signal meter via the LCD like the Traxis 3500 and Globecast recievers it does have a "beep" function which can be used to fine tune a dish.

The price. I paid $70 including shipping for a brand new unit.

As previously mentioned it is very sleek and compact. I think it has a nice look. It has a low profile.

It can be set to use the internal real time clock and not rely on the sat. for the time.

Overall I think it is a good entry level unit or an excellent choice for someone that values Picture Quality the most but is not much of a blind scanner but still would like to occasionly due so. Mine has been relegated to a second duty receiver, using a switch with 3 fixes lnbs instead of a motor.

As noted in a previous post I also got the Coolsat 5000 on the Power Buy. I now have it on the motorized dish. So far I like the functionality of it much better. It's probably going to remain my primary receiver. I think it is a good compromise between the traxis and neusat.

Your mileage may very

" I have not found a way to save the channel list to the usb device. "

I think you have to use the serial connection with their channel editor to get the list.

I guess I fit the above bill - I prefer picture quality (although my Fortec looks as good), I only blind scan about once a week or so, and I usually hit the blind scan and go walk my dogs, so time is not a biggie. When setting up the receiver, it only took about 30 seconds or so to do the initial scan on each satellite (not sure what that is called). I will use the Neusat for my main receiver for the following: size - fits perfect atop my tv, remote - easier for me to use than the Fortec and the info that comes up I think is presented better. I only have my Fortec to compare too. Now a question, I want to make sure I have this right - the orange is the signal/power meter, and the green is the quality? Any easy answer to what this is exactly?

iafirebuff said:
Now a question, I want to make sure I have this right - the orange is the signal/power meter, and the green is the quality? Any easy answer to what this is exactly?

no
the green is signal, orange is quality
This picture might tell the best story :)

Attachments

• IM000925.JPG
    IM000925.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
OK, now I am cornfused. On mine, almost all of the green #'s are 46-48. The orange #'s go from 50 on the lowest power tp to 75 on the high ones. So judging from my Fortec, the orange #'s are close to the Fortec's meter. So the quality is a measurement of the picture quality? Ah well, at least it works :) Thanks for te screen shot!

Deleting channels is a pain after the blind scan, mine often logs encrypted channels even when I select FTA only. I have not figured out any easy way to select multiple channels to mark for deletion, and then hit ok. It's one by one, hit the red button to delete then hit ok to confirm. Its a slow process
if it scans a whole transponder as scrambled, you can delete it that way (it allows channel, TP, satellite & all)

Last edited:
no
don't look at signal strngth. Mine was at 48 when I wasnt even on the right satellite (I had the Neusat on AMC5 and the motor was over on SBS6)

Quality is all you need to look at. The higher the number, the stronger the signal :)
(the Neusat seems to read a little low)

OK, thanks for clearing that up! I follow now. I have not tired it yet, but have you used it with the beep sound? Reminds me of Dish and Directv aiming.

Stats8 said:
" I have not found a way to save the channel list to the usb device. "

I think you have to use the serial connection with their channel editor to get the list.

has anybody been able to do that? I tried it and none of the chanenls uploaded :(
just the satellites

Iceberg said:
Quality is all you need to look at. The higher the number, the stronger the signal :)
(the Neusat seems to read a little low)
No kidding. Mine reads way way low, compared to the same TP's with the Coolsat. OTOH, anything over 40 seems to provide a block-free picture for me. (The cutoff is about 60 on the Coolsat)

Iceberg said:
The beep works but its really loud (like if you have dogs they might go nuts)
In the setup screen, you can choose a level. Is it still really loud even on tghe lowest setting?

GaryPen said:
No kidding. Mine reads way way low, compared to the same TP's with the Coolsat. OTOH, anything over 40 seems to provide a block-free picture for me. (The cutoff is about 60 on the Coolsat)
The Coolsat has always been weird for me as my Pansat read legit (30 was the threshold and went to 99). I wisht he Coolsat had a little more legit meter reading instead of 63 minimum, 85 max and most everything is 69-72 regardless of quality

In the setup screen, you can choose a level. Is it still really loud even on tghe lowest setting?
I didnt try. I thought it was goofy and I turned it off :)

Downloading channel info from Neusat. (Or, is it uploading?)

I can't seem to transfer the channel info from the receiver to the PC using the Neusat Channel Editing tool, "STBDBManager". Has anybody successfully used it, or the Neusat Loader "STBUpgrade" to transfer data to/from the box?

Also, for the sake of understanding their nomenclature, does download refer to transferring from the PC, and upload is transferring to the PC? (That seems opposite to the common Internet usage of downloading data to a pc, and uploading data from a pc.)

There are also a million choices in the loader:
Boot Only
Data Only
Program Only
Program All
SatcoDX
Still Image
Key Data
MasterSoft
Koran

One of those choices is obviously piracy-related. But, what about the others? And, specifically, which one is channel/sat/pref data?

BTW, do Middle Eastern versions of this stb come with the Koran pre-installed? Clever marketing. The box is now holy, so it can't be thrown away. You're stuck with Neusat forever!

Last edited:
you upload from the receiver to the computer and download the other way

My Buzz reciever has "azan" which is some thing you can set up to tell you when to pray (or something like that) :)

I tried to load it directly from the box to the computer with the channel editor and it didn't work

Both my receivers tell me when to pray, without setting anything. Wel...pray is not exactly the right word. Swear is more like it. The motor did as well, when setting it up.

So, nobody has succesfully loaded the data from the stb to the pc?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts