New AZBox firmware

adm22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
They have sent the latest buggy firmware for the AZBox 3661 to the Beta testers and someone has leaked it. I am not trying it out at this point in time since none of the things fixed or improved are the major problmes I ahve had with the thing, let alone the minor ones.

1)Timer does not work properly

2) No stereo audio from RCA or SCART

3) Blacks dark grey on some channels.

It claims to offer the following over the last one:

New AZBox HD Firmware - rev. 0.9.3661

RELEASE NOTES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

# FIXED
========

- Correct a bug regarding the message for screen capture.
- Correct a bug, do not proceed the progress bar at FTP up/download.
- Correct a bug when it occured the FTP login was failed.
- Correct some bugs of the file manager: Icon images / Multi language messages
- Correct a bug regarding DVB-T&C TS discriptor.
- Correct the gritch noise bug on the HDMI audio.
- Correct a bug regarding the setup display options.
- Correct the bug regarding LEDs on the front panel (AZBox Premium)
- Correct the alphabetical sorting bug of the favorite channel list
- Correct the bug to remember the last channel.
- Correct the scan SAT bug
- Correct the TV buffering problem.
- Correct the MKV player bug whick is not displayed videos
- Correct the time display problem at MKV player
- Correct a memory leak at the new audio driver
- Correct the audio bug which is occuring when the radio was played long time
- Correct the video bug which regarding display mode like as pan & scan display
- Correct a fast forward problem to go forward faster.
- Upgrade the YouTube player

# ADDED
========

- Add new driver for better A/V performance (under testing)
- Add a function to insert many function keys on the USB keyboard.
- Support multi-audio of TS files.
- Add subtitle ID and audio ID at the individual channel.
- Add a decoder recovery routine for correct the radio distortion bug.
- Add a function to be able to select the Dolby output mode (Line mode / RF mode)
- Add scripts when called at standby and wakeup
/DISK2/etc/standby.sh
/DISK2/etc/wakeup.sh
- Add new driver for Samsung ATSC tuner.
- Modify the azbox SDK and test application
- Add a radio wallpaper register module
- Add the page up/down function at file manager.
- Add a information bar for ATSC

# IMPROVED
===========

- Modify the main menu position.
- Modify the DEMUX structure to be able to parse several PMTs in the same time.
- Increase IPTV ability to get several types of streams.
- Modified for EPG
+ EIT pool
+ EIT filters
+ Memory Pool
+ Memory menager etc.

- Modify the EIT parser to add a function regarding ATSC
- Modify the scanning PMT method for using multiple PMT filters.
- Optimization of the DEMUX_INFO structure for using the multiple PMT parser at movie player.
- Apply the multiple PMT parser at the movie player.
- Optimization the memory of the audio player.
- Support VBR at the MP3 player
- Modify web browser and RSS news cause by change the driver.
- Modify to set subtitle at center
- Modify to display full screen at photo viewer.
- Change some video decoder options to solve the mkv file player problems
- Change some audio decoder options to solve the glitch noise problems
- Change the recording file size to 4GB from 3GB (will be changed next release to detect the max file size from system)
- Modify the network setting timeout for wifi to 1 minute from 30 seconds.

I hope this will resolve the freezing video and no audio that I get on frequency 12144 V on AMC 6 @ 72.0°W in addition to others stuff I'm not aware of.:)

Maybe it's old news, but is there an ATSC tuner module available for the Azbox?

Huh. I was under the impression that ATSC only referred to the American version, and the international version was just called DVB-T, for "terrestrial" (ATSC looks like DVB at the digital level, but the modulation is different), but I've never seen anyone talking about an ATSC module for the AZbox. Maybe this means one is coming!

Maybe it's old news, but is there an ATSC tuner module available for the Azbox?

it's been spoken of before and should be up for sale 4-8 weeks now. $70-80.
spend more $ on and to a unfinshed box ??? V1 firmware please.
wacky business model

it's been spoken of before and should be up for sale 4-8 weeks now. $70-80.
spend more $ on and to a unfinshed box ??? V1 firmware please.
wacky business model

With all due respect, and I understand totally your position because I feel the same way about the Vantage....but the Azbox is the most complete box on the market, just like it is right now. No receiver I know of will play 4:2:0. 4:2:2, SD, HD, DVB,DVB-S2, PLUS anything you put on a hard drive, let you connect it to a network for online Firmware updates, surf the net, do youtube (slowly, I admit), run a motor decently I am told, and do it ALL for under $300.00. I think its flat amazing, all things considered. Anything they add now is just icing on the cake.

The only thing its missing is blind scan.

A lot of folks are going to be disappointed when they use the ATSC tuner, because they think it will have some EPG data, and it probably won't, so I hope they don't get their hopes up.

If someone is hoping an FTA box is going to come along that operates like a Directv or DISH network box, STOP HOPING OR EXPECTING THAT TO HAPPEN. FTA receivers will NEVER be that easy to use. Learn to use what we have, and if you think back just a couple years, we had some real stinker HD boxes...(Neusat HD anyone? Anyone?)

Most of us are THRILLED with the Azbox. If you aren't, I understand, but it might be time to move on. :)

very well put stogie :)

I know the azbox is a beta product but compared to some of the other receivers I've worked with that weren't considered beta this one blows everything out of the water. They just keep making it better and better. As noted this receiver plays damn near anything we plug into it.

blind scan would be nice but I have my Coolsat 5000 for that. Sure a ASTC tuner would be nice but the odds of getting EPG on it are probably slim to none. The only receiver I've seen with EPG at one time was the Coolsat 8000......but then again they forgot to put satellite software in it :rolleyes:

very well put stogie :)

I know the azbox is a beta product but compared to some of the other receivers I've worked with that weren't considered beta this one blows everything out of the water. They just keep making it better and better. As noted this receiver plays damn near anything we plug into it.

I too am amazed at this box. I've only had it about a week and I'm enjoying every minute with it. Sure it can be a bit quirky at times, but for me once you learn all the little bits and pieces of this box, it's (at least for me) the best I've had yet.

Now if it could only play Windows Media Center recorded TV files......well...who knows..

Clint

Happy Campers

mine is not up for sale.
but look at that list up there. and the one before that and the next to come.

i like watching 422 feeds but if this box did not do them i would not have it.
i only use it for sports feeds.
i found a new one sunday i deleted a few channels and it also deleted the feq/sr tp info too.
no other box i have had does that. it is always the other way around,delete the tp and the channel goes.

i for one don't want my box online ever. i have a computer. never had to do that with any other box.
sent a letter to them and posted in their forum these 3 thoughts.

1) save and load channel list from USB stick
2) remove recording 20 Mbps cap.
3) ability to rename recorded file.

and stogie why tell me
If you aren't, I understand, but it might be time to move on.
what's up with that ?
i can not express my findings ? thoughts?
they admit to only being less than half way to v1 platform.
look in the forums world wide this box has more posts than boxes that have been out for years. and are these posts a bunch of happy campers telling how the they like these boxes so much ?
no

they want these boxes to work like others they have had.
have read over 2000 posts myself and i only know 1 language. LOL

even you had posted for awhile not recommended for first time users. did you ever say that about another box ? that you kept.

i think the atsc card will have a EPG only 12-24 hours.
this box has the potential to be the best i have seen easily.but...not yet

and stogie why tell me
If you aren't, I understand, but it might be time to move on.
what's up with that ?
i can not express my findings ? thoughts?

You can say whatever you want, whenever you want. But be aware that folks don't always agree with you. In this case MOST of us that use Azboxes every day love them. For better or worse, you're in the minority. We just don't have all the problems you seem to have.

I am in your position on the Vantage. I absolutely LOATHE the Vantage. Its the clunkiest, slowest damn POS I have ever used. Most folks, however, like it a lot. I have no choice but to conclude that its me. I don't like that, but hey, I been wrong before...LOL

they admit to only being less than half way to v1 platform.
look in the forums world wide this box has more posts than boxes that have been out for years. and are these posts a bunch of happy campers telling how the they like these boxes so much ?
no

they want these boxes to work like others they have had.
have read over 2000 posts myself and i only know 1 language. LOL

Its not going to get much better than it is for use here in North America. They use the azboxes in Europe MUCH different than we do. What they want and what we want do NOT coincide. It just doesn't. What fixes it for us breaks it for them. It is what it is, no amount of complaining is going to fix it.

even you had posted for awhile not recommended for first time users. did you ever say that about another box ? that you kept.

No other box I have ever tried does everything the Azbox does, plain and simple. And new users will be bewildered VERY quickly with the NUMEROUS options and things that must be done to make it work. Once a user totally understands how the DVB system works, is he ready for the Azbox, in a similar way as we wouldn't tell a newbie to setup a BUD with a c/ku feedhorn from a pile of parts with no instructions, when said newbie's only exposure to TV thusfar is DISH Network. :D
This isn't a new Coolsat 8000, or Diamond HD, with some bells and whistles added. The Azbox is a NEW concept. And it has proven to be bewildering to newbies, as evidenced by all the posts made to my review thread. Which is why I STILL don't recommend it to newbies. :D

Personally, I happen to love the AZBox Premium. I had to cuss at it a few times and do a lot of research which I am not finished with by any means. But, I do like it very much and so much so that I bought a second one! Just haven't received it yet because of a snafu with the seller's supplier (they sent a shipment of Elites instead of the Premiums).

The biggest issue I have is blind scan capabilities. Therefore, I adopted a nice little trick. I use my Coolsat 5K connected to the LOOP OUT of the AZBox and connected to the same TV on a different video input.

I can watch either source and when I need to blind scan, I simply switch to the Coolsat and let it do the job. Then, if the channel I want is found I may enter it manually into the AZBox. OF course, this doesn't work for DVB-S2 or 4.2.2 signals and the Coolsat 5K cannot detect these.

All around, it is becoming a great addition to my entertainment center.

As Stogie has stated, this box is not at all like any other box that most of us are used to. It is a totally new concept. Which places it in the beta stages at this time and that is what throws people. Basically, it is an unfinished product at this time, but its potential is awesome!

RADAR

hello Mr. Radar
I am also interested in getting one of these receivers, is there any way you an provide me with the store name you got your box from.
thanks in advance.
Chewie

i like watching 422 feeds but if this box did not do them i would not have it.
i only use it for sports feeds.
i found a new one sunday i deleted a few channels and it also deleted the feq/sr tp info too.
no other box i have had does that. it is always the other way around,delete the tp and the channel goes.
something isnt right because I can delete channels and the TP doesnt delete. If you delete the TP the channels are deleted too. But I just scanned a sat and removed a couple channels. The TP is still there

i for one don't want my box online ever. i have a computer. never had to do that with any other box.
agreed. Mine is only hooked up to download the newest software

i think the atsc card will have a EPG only 12-24 hours.
this box has the potential to be the best i have seen easily.but...not yet

I've seen many receivers and this is the best one that I have worked with. I have worked with 5 HD boxes
Coolsat 8000...still have
Pansat 9200...sold when I got Q
Azbox
Quali
Neusat 9000...sold because I didnt really have a use for it

and all of them were buggy to begin with. Hell the 8000 had no satellite software in it when I got mine. There was only hacker software for a week or so. The Pansat 9200 they would do an update which fixed something but broke something else. The Quali was the only option for 4:2:2 at the time other than a PC card. The Neusat was bad. Too many issues and only did MPEG2 HD

considering the upgrades on the azbox they have done, I say they done good. I know folks are all salivating for the OTA tuner but do some of you really record that much OTA to be waiting like a kid for christmas for that tuner? I know I don't and the few programs I watch OTA I just watch. And if there is issues with high bitrate feeds who knows if it will record OTA properly anyways?

hello Mr. Radar
I am also interested in getting one of these receivers, is there any way you an provide me with the store name you got your box from.
thanks in advance.
Chewie

Ebay dood, that is where most here are getting them at. Better then the other GUY who rips you off by an average of $100 claiming that if you don't buy from "HIM" you will be getting a clone.. LMAO.

First of all there is absolutely no clones for AZBOX Elite/Premium HD.

Trust me.. Ebay has them at better prices then that other GUY who does not support this forum at all..

Ebay dood, that is where most here are getting them at. Better then the other GUY who rips you off by an average of $100 claiming that if you don't buy from "HIM" you will be getting a clone.. LMAO.

agree. Ebay has the best deal on it

I got mine from azboxmiami or something like that...at the time 285 shipped and I got it in 3 days (ordered Sunday before Labour Day...got it Thursday)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts