New guy help again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blueboat

Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Tonto Basin Arizona
New guy help again.

Using Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps and wanting to receive C-Band and also KU band it looks like I would be able to pick up 45. West through 139. west, so would I need a 8 foot satellite dish for C-band or could I get by with less as I see several 4,5,6 and 7.5 foot dish's?
I am trying to determine what size satellite dish would work for out location.
My latitude is 33.846449 and longitude is -111.303169

Second question, is there any reputable company that would sell us a KU-C-Band complete system.

I have been reading about FTA on the internet for the last couple of weeks part time but
I sure could use some guidance.
Thank you for your help

You can get some C-Band on a smaller dish with marginal results(just enough to make you mad) :). I would for sure go with a least an 8-foot dish. Especially with everything going to DVB-S2.

10ft for Cband is about as small as you really want to go however you can pick up "some" stuff with smaller dishes.

I recently had a 7.5ft SAMI dish that did a really good job but was NOT as good as the 10ft Winegard dish I already had. The 10ft Unimesh I replaced that SAMI with isn't as good as the Winegard either but is slightly better than the SAMI but I really need to do more "tweaking" on that Unimesh to get it at it's best, which I haven't done yet.

I don't know of anyone "reputible" selling large dish packages at this time. My suggestion is to start riding around in the country side and look for a dish that's been abandoned/no longer in use and see if you can get one that way. Also look in your local trader papers and Craig's list too as they show up there from time to time. I put an ad in "Your Message Board" last year looking for a 10ft or larger dish and got 3 calls. I bought that Unimesh that way.

Instead of trying to get it all up and running at once, start with the SatellliteAV package to get a 'handle' on the technology. Then adding to it, a little at a time, isn't overwhelming. A plus is there's something operating to 'play' with while taking a break.
The only 'kit' or 'package' that I'd recommend is only Ku with a single fixed dish. Build 'up' from there.
Then add a motor to the Ku dish. Later add a BUD, dish mover and C band LNBF for C band.
Do believe there's been some in the Phoenix area posted in this thread Kijiji, eBay, and Craigslist dishes for you to take a look at Keep an eye on it.
BUD- if need be, start with a smaller one, 7.5 - 8 ft. Can always continue the search for a 10, and if found, set up the smaller as fixed on a satellite it works good on.(?) But if a good 10 is found, why not start with the most desirable size?
A 'day trip' around the area may result in finding one.

although everyone has their own ideas, I would agree with Fat Air. If space isn't a problem, get a good ku system setup, look around your area for a 10ft dish ( i like mine separate anyway) and work from there.. Then you can sit/stand outside under the umbrella drinking a glass of sweet tea watching KU while fixing up the big dish :)

Fellow Ham confirmed he has a BUD and I can have it if I want....hope to get over there to check it out...am I jumping the gun with a BUD instead of a smaller-fixed dish

No harm in starting out with a BUD, but be aware that it will be a much steeper learning curve. Be sure to read and ask questions before removing or installing. A 90cm KU system can be installed in a few hours for minimal cost, but a BUD will take days and not be so forgiving on newbie mistakes $$$$$.

Is you friend willing to lend a hand? Does he have previous C-band install or service experience?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

I started with a 10 foot BUD too. I used Dexpan to break the concrete it was mounted in. I also found that a $15 signal meter helps to find signals.

You could always pick up the BUD now so you don't lose out on it and just store it for now, and setup a Ku system first. Check if the BUD has Ku on it too, some do.

A c band dish takes more time to setup because of its size and having to mount a large post perfectly plumb in the ground, but in my opinion is not any harder to get aligned and swinging the arc once you get it on the pole.

Mike,

It seems like you and I looking for similar results!

In another post I mentioned I'm really only looking for the Religious Programming on G-19 and some of the Radio there too. The 'pkg' seemed like the Way to Go...(and still does) for that.

Then I get a call from a fellow Ham who heard I was wanting a 'dish' and has a BUD he'll give me...

I've read all of Blueboats recent post, and again hesitated to start another, since our current goals are so similar....

So, will the BUD allow me my initial quest? G-19 (Smile of a Child, etc...) or will that also require a Ku system?

Thanks for all the help for the new-guys!

Cale

ETA:

1. When I look here http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html there is almost nothing shown for C vs Ku band on the programming....therein lies the quandry (or my lack of understanding) :eek:

2. Do most folks hire someone to trench in your cable, or rent a machine to do the labor?

Last edited:
Satellite bands of primary interest for FTA.
C band will be 4 digit. 3700 to 4200. Ku is 5 digits. 11700 to 12200. There's also that portion above 12200 occupied by the DSS satellites with very little, if any(at any time) FTA.
Ku also has a 'low' band. (Approximately) 10000 to 11700 Only used on international satellites east of 72W.
#1 - True for G19. Not true for the rest of the arc. Also check this list, mikes, at http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html Also sathint.com
#2 - Depending on soil types and/ or particular circumstances, many rent a machine, or dig trench manually. Many, including me, just cut a 'slot' in the sod and place the cable just under the sod. When under a driveway, trenched down to 6 to 8 ft and laid the cable in center of a 'gracious' bed of sand.
Initial quest, SOAC, is Ku as is the other 240+ channels on 97W (G19)

If you need to run your cable for any distance and have access to a tiller - attach only one tine. It cuts a very nice channel in the ground to lay the cables in. I used a front tine for a 125 foot run. Beats digging by hand! :)

If you need to run your cable for any distance and have access to a tiller - attach only one tine. It cuts a very nice channel in the ground to lay the cables in. I used a front tine for a 125 foot run. Beats digging by hand! :)

That's how I did it, I didn't use one tine though because I had to go deep, the run went under one of my driveways. Also ran the cables thru a pipe.

Smile of a Child is on the Ku ones Fat Air mentioned but also on 125 W C-band, 3720/H/26667.

Last edited:
I run my lines underground in Grey PVC electrical conduit. Costs a little extra to do this, but gives good protection to the wiring, particularly where the wires come up out of the ground and are susceptible to damage from weedeaters and other yard tools, animals, etc...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)