New Model 4DTV Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
It has been several years since the Motorola DSR 900 and 922 receivers came onto the market. Why aren't new DCII receivers being introduced either by Motorola or other companies?

I would love the see a new digital C and KU band receiver being introduced that had a built-in digicipher decoder. It would be like a DSR 900 or 922 with the analog and videocipher module removed. In other words, a FTA digital receiver that would have a slot for a card that would allow you to legally subscribe to the DCII programming.

You know what? I've had that same Dream, thousands of times. It sure would be nice, if it would get Megapipe too. If anyone ever does do a new one, I hope they ask us Consumers what we would like it to do?

Al

I believe its Motorola being greedy with the rights to the DCII coding/ reciever rights. I don't understand how it went from all those reciever companies like Drake and Chaparral, to strickly GE, then Motorola. Does Motorola make dishnetwork recievers? I know they make some cable boxes, so this maybe why they are putting the strangle hold on. Especially after those foolish people tried to sue over that programming guide $1/month. That was our updates going out the window. We just need to figure out how to get it out of the tight grip of Motorola, but as demonlord previously mentioned (in a round about way) others have tried this. The Megapipe thing kinda makes that not matter as much. All the big programmers and such have the money to keep buying out stuff from under cbander's feet. There has GOT to be a way to outsmart. Maybe the satellite reunion will bring about a surprise :D

Last edited:
When you look at on what HD is using, more and more are moving away from Motorola and to PowerVu in the first place. Motorola isn't helpful even to the Commercial Market and thus more and more are moving away from their arrogance. Motorola is doing what they can to salvage their business on encryption as S/A continues to gnaw away at it - clearly consumers aren't even considered in this.

I still think things are in transition, and we won't see any kind of reciever change or update until the analog modules are dead weight sitting inside the digital boxes.
Maybe one day S/A will just take over for Motorola and make home dish owners a whole new reciever. :D By the thread title, I origionally almost had a heart attack, because I thought you were saying there is a new model reciever :) Thats cool though, Im more than happy to keep at my fantasies.

I'd love to see a new receiver that could handle megapipe and powervu, but IMO there's a couple big reasons it won't happen. First, there's just not a large enough subscriber base to make it profitable. Second, there's too many companies that don't want to see it happen. The little dish companies, cable companies, anybody associated with blue-ray or hd-dvd. Cable and little dish don't want people to know how crappy their HD looks, and blue-ray and hd-dvd don't want people to be able to get the high quality picture from anybody but them.

All that said, I don't think it would be that hard to make the new receiver. There's already PC cards that can receive mega-pipe signals, there's just no access system available to use for subs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)