New to FTA...HELP!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Delirium

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I have recently stumbled on the world of FTA and needed some guidance on purchasing a new system. I was considering the Winegard 76cm or 1 meter dish and would like to hear your expert opinions on what would work better for my location in South Eastern Idaho. Is there a better dish available?

Also, what receivers do most of you use and why? I have been looking at the fortec ultra and the pansat 2500a but would like to hear more suggestions.

Finally, what lnbf(s) should I be looking for? I want the capability of receiving as many free (legal, no hacking) channels as possible.

Thanks, in advance, for any help/advice you can offer.

Hello Delirium! Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA MPEG-2 forum!

I like the Fortec Lifetime Ultra system, I would say a 90cm dish will give you good results and after a few tests with Universal and Standard LNBF's of the same low noise value I would recommend a STANDARD KU LNBF as they work much better with low signals.

After installing quite a few motors now I still say the SG2100 motor is the best one out there right now. So here is what I would recommend to get most value for your $....

Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra Receiver
90 cm Dish
Standard KU LNBF
SG2100 Motor

Take your time with your decision as you are stuck with the system after you buy, all the best!

Thanks PSB,

I have a couple more questions, however. Is the Winegard 1 meter dish not a good option for Ku band? I only ask because I can get one locally for a decent price. Is there a certain brand of 90cm dish you can recommend? Do any dishes offer more upgradeability than others? What company makes a high quality lnbf? Finally, could you possibly recommend a few online companies that sell FTA equipment that are good to deal with?

I'm sorry for all the newbie questions, but I just want to make sure I get the right equipment the first time so I don't end up doing it all over again in a couple months.

Thanks again for your advice. I am really excited about entering the world of FTA.

Thanks PSB,

I just realized that you sell a system that looks like it will fit my needs. I am interested in the Fortec Ultra Lifetime setup but had a question...

Do you offer a larger dish in your package for an extra charge; and do I really need anything larger than 90cm? I am looking to get the best dish I can get now, so I don't end up wanting something bigger a few months down the road.

Finally, if you don't mind, could you write down the specific parts of the package that would work best for me so I know exactly what to order? I know I want the SG2100 motor and the Ultra Lifetime receiver but what lnbf and dish should I order?

Thanks so much for all your help. I look forward to doing business with you.

Well, I think I have decided on a Winegard DS-3100 or DS-3101 dish for my new FTA system but had a couple more questions. Do any of you own or have experience with this dish and, if so, how did you set it up? Is the 3101 worth the extra money for the universal mount? With a dish that size, is it safe to mount it on the roof? I'm not sure if I can get all the satellites if I mount it on the ground. Lastly, which motor will work best with the winegard dish? Will the SG2100 work or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks, again, for all the help

Delirium said:
Well, I think I have decided on a Winegard DS-3100 or DS-3101 dish for my new FTA system but had a couple more questions. Do any of you own or have experience with this dish and, if so, how did you set it up?
I dont have the 1m dish..just the 76cm and its pretty easy to setup. just mount the pole and put the dish on it
Is the 3101 worth the extra money for the universal mount?
no comment..havent seen either one
With a dish that size, is it safe to mount it on the roof? I'm not sure if I can get all the satellites if I mount it on the ground.
I have 2 76cm dishes and a StarChoice 75e dish (37"x27") on my roof with no issues.
Lastly, which motor will work best with the winegard dish? Will the SG2100 work or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks, again, for all the help
Ive used the SG2100 for almost a year now with no issues. I know it will support a 1.2m dish, but I will let PSB or someone else who has used it vouch :)

Thanks for the quick response, Iceberg.

Just out of curiosity, how do you think the Winegard compares with a Fortec 90cm? Is build quality any better on the Winegard? One of the reasons I am looking at the Winegard is because I have a distributor that is about a 30 minute drive from my house and he is willing to sell it to me for just over cost. I would end up paying more for the Fortec with shipping. How do you like your 2 Winegards?

I'm really sorry for all the stupid questions but I am really excited about getting started and want to make sure I do everything just right.

Thanks again.

I have a Winegard and a HotDish. Love the Winegard..real sturdy

Never worked with a Fortec, but a good quality 76cm dish can be better than a poorly made 90cm. I know the HotDish I have has bent in the wind. The Winegard doesn't :)

damn...just over cost..wish I was near you :)

Well, my mind is made up. I will definitely be getting the Winegard. Now, all I have to do is decide on what lnbf and motor to buy.

I can't thank you guys (Iceberg and PSB) enough for all your help. With your advice, I can finally see my system all coming together. :)

The Winegard DS2076 is a great performer and you won't go wrong with this high quality dish, but I would recommend that you install a larger well constructed 90CM dish. You will not regret the choice. Many backhauls and startup 24/7 stations require a larger dish as they often transmit at lower power levels and less bandwidth.

Thanks SatelliteAV,

I did, in fact, go for the larger size dish...the Winegard 1 meter :). After reading through so many posts of people wishing they had bought a larger dish, I figured since I'm starting from scratch, might as well go for the best dish I could afford. Unfortunately, the local Winegard distributor didn't have any in stock so he had to order one...I'll have to wait for a week or two until I can pick it up :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts