New to me Edision OS MIO 4K Linux Combo Box

N6BY,
Yup, brought it in the house one day and worked on it for a while. It's not perfect, but close enough to work 90% of the motorized arc. I plan to get a newer dish some day, but for now, it's mostly parked on 91W as the wife loves the ABC feeds. With the new box, I'll be able to play around some more.

Reactions: raydio
Looks like I started this thread in the wrong area. Should have put it
Android and Enigma/Linux Based STB Discussion
Moderators may want to move it. I'll post any new questions in the Linux Based STB Discussion area.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Reactions: raydio
Did that. Tried the USB stick. Did not recognize it until I initialized it. After initialization, it recognizes the stick, but then wants a file stored on the stick called "BACKUPSTICK". I tried to save a file by that name on the USB stick, but permissions are denied. I have no root access to the stick. I tried the HDD, but it fails. I have data on the HDD that I cannot lose, so will have to try something else.

Sorry, I went to bed right after posting that. I forgot to post about the Backupstick.txt file it wants. I did all that on my pc, and then stuck my FAT32 thumbdrive in the MIO for backup.

Playing around with the positioner settings, I have a SG-2100 HH motor from the dinosaur age.
Manual says 1.9 deg/sec 13V and 2.5 deg/sec 18 volts. What I don't see is the minumum step size.

It looks like I can configure the box for a step size and I can force the motor speed to move slowly at 1.9 deg/sec. This is a nice feature to control a sloppy motor. If I'm understanding this right, I may be able to walk my dish with a little less slop.
However, I'm not 100% sure.

If anyone knows the minimum step size, it may help me fine tune my motor positioning.
My manual does not provide this info.

The extra motor options for Horizontal and Vertical turning speed is for calculation timing and not to speed or slow the motor movement. Minimum step size is useful when fine tuning the dish aiming and is determined by the motor resolution. If not provided in the motor specifications, try saving different settings and observe the number of "Fine movement" tuning steps in the Positioner Set-up menu required when moving between two adjacent satellites. I have observed resolutions as low as .100 on some motors (10 steps per degree).

Reactions: raydio and Fizbi
I R impressed with this box. I'm loving the positioner controls. This thing is blind scanning like a mad dog, Locking onto birds with the first try. I suspect a mad scientist was chained to a desk to design this thing. I could be wrong, but I think I'm very happy with it. Had to kick the wife off the TV so I could play with it some more.

My son is flipping out. We now watching INFO WARS. He loves that channel.

I need to start a "no wife club" section on this site :D

Must be a good club. Wife left the house and I managed to pick up another satellite.
To get any more channels, I will need to get a better dish or beat my warped dish into submission.
Its been several seasons since I tried to fine tune its aim so I may try that first as this new box may make a difference.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I successfully scanned in all the FTA feeds from 87W to 123W with my warped motorized dish. 125W remains a challenge. The warp may be to blame, or maybe my motorized arc is a hair off. I have a way to bend the dish mount up and down a tad so that 125W can be received, but then I lose 87W if I play with it too much. Oh well, almost there. Later on, I plan to find a larger Ku dish that is "true" and then maybe I'll have it all sorted out.

So far the new box is working great. An occasional power glitch resets stuff like the clock and then I have to go in and adjust it. I don't know if there is a way to keep it set to US Mountain time.

Still playing with setup and all. Slow steady progress.

The 2-prong US plug adapter is really hinky and loose IMO. Maybe it sometimes loses electrical connection, mine did. Wrap it around the adapter with some duct or electrical tape to hold them together tight. Mine is plugged into an extension cord, and I have tape around the whole thing strapping it together. Extension cord, US adapter AND the brick. You couldn't do that if it's plugged directly into the wall, but if yours is, wiggle it a little and test if yours is also loose.

Gotta love tracking the arc with a warped reflector or wacky mount/pole. :coco

The US mountain time offset reset has been corrected and many images are now updated. Until then, select another GMT -7:00 timezone (such as Chihuahua, La Paz, Mazatlan) and the NTP time will not reset if STB reboots.

Edision is working on providing a PSU with swappable plugs. Hopefully, this will happen soon! :)

Thanks ALL for the great replies. I'll tape up my plug. Yes it's a bit wonky, but tape fixes almost everything. I'll also try a different -7 hour time zone. My AC power is flaky which is why I have a gas generator, solar, and wind backup.

I replaced my power adapter on my older mio with the attached image. Works fine. I'm going to see about getting one for my newer mio.
20190913_064243.jpg
20190913_064257.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts