Status
Please reply by conversation.

Will62

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Missouri
Hello:

I'm interested in getting my first FTA dish and box and need some recommendations from the people here that have experience.

Initially I am looking at a fixed dish that will be used to get Galaxy 19. My primary interest is listening to a couple of radio networks on the Ku Band. Accent Radio Network and Life Talk Network are my primary interests.

Eventually I'd add a second dish to use to obtain TV programming. First I have to see what is out there and what I'd like to watch. I see there are plenty of Ku band channels on a number of different satellites. :)

I've done some research and it seems as though the following receivers are capable of receiving what I'd like to listen to and are affordably priced.

Lexium DBS-7000 Digital Receiver
Omegasat DSB5700

Can anyone that has some knowledge of either receiver go over the pro's and con's of each unit? I know the Lexium comes with a 2 year warranty.

Also can anyone recommend a reliable yet cheap dish and LNBF or LNB? How do I determine which one I need to use?

Also, what other accessories will I need to install this in the yard or on the side of the house? I figure a five foot mast sunk in concrete will work if I do a yard install. Not sure what kind of mount to use if I put it on the side of the house. Cables and connectors no doubt are needed too.

Thanks.

Will62

Glorystar is the contracted equipment distributor for LifeTalk Radio. I can highly recommend recommend the GeoSatpro DVR1100c or the DSR200c. You may purchase a complete system including the GEOSATpro 90cm dish with universal wall/roof mount, SL1 LNBF, and installation kit including all necessary cables, grounding supplies, silicone sealant, nylon ties, cable clips and compass for $199.

http://lifetalk.glorystar.tv or check out the eBay link in this post.

I get all G19 Ku with a 30 inch. Check the sponsors, listed on the top of the page. Seems to me I remember dish and LNBF packages. For cable, use RG6, and good connectors. Compression fittings are advised for their water resistant characteristics. For motorized, I would go with a 36 or 39 inch. Less interference from adjacent satellites and less effect from weather conditions(rain-fog-clouds) Sorry, can't comment on the receivers. Just make sure they do the type of audio those channels use, Mpeg, AC3, AAC, DTS (A lot of receivers only decode Mpeg, and pass the other formats out the SPDIF to be decoded externally)

I wouldn't recommend using a dish smaller then 90 cm. It will work much better in the rain.
Bob

I was in Springfield MO two years ago and had a hard time getting G19 on a 30" dish, ground mounted. The 39" Glorystar dish (I re-aimed for someone else) and my Primestar 75E on the motor home worked great this year in Branson. The system from Glorystar as mentioned by SatelliteAV above is as close to plug and play as you will ever get. It is my #1 recommendation.

Will I am in southeast Missouri and use a 1 meter dish that picks up G19 no problem. I bought 4 receivers for $50 - a Coolsat 6000, 2 Pansat 2500's and a Nfusion Solaris. Cannot comment on yours but you can find the Coolsat's and Pansat's very resonably. I like the Coolsat best, the pansat's are fair but don't handle the AC3 as well in my opinion. All the units I mentioned need an external processor of some type like a a/v receiver to process the AC3. I do not really care for the Nufsion. Like you, I am new to this hobby but have quickly learned you want receivers that have blind scan capability - in fact I really would not even consider one that does not blindscan. My neighbor has a Glorystar system that seems to work well for them, so, as others have recommended, that may be the best way for you to go. I purchased two ESX521 lnb's off ebay and a spitfire elite lnb also off ebay. I think I prefer the ESX521 over the spitfire but all were reasonably priced and work well so far.

Just to fill in some other areas, .. . .
- shoulder height on a free-standing mast is what I recommend
- I'd use an 8' length of pipe or fence post, post-hole digger, and bag or two of quick-set concrete.
- the "4 receivers for $50" mentioned above are used, and out of production; the Coolsat is pretty good.
- there's quite a bit of video on 97°w, and you might find some of it interesting.
- to connect several dishes to one receiver, see Switches Simplified in the FAQ department.
- there are two kinds of LNBFs: Universal, and Standard. Unless you -need- Universal (not likely), get Standards

That's all I got off the top of my head. ;)

I wouldn't recommend using a smaller dish then 90 cm, if you have the cash go 1.2

Thanks to everyone that responded. I will get the Glorysat system. Seems to be the best and easiest move at least for now. I can get my feet wet with this system and know that the larger dish will give me reliable reception. I may add a second dish for TV viewing at a later time once I learn how to use this system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts