Newbie question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shedy77

Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
hello everyone,

I'am new to FTA and in need for some advice on equipment. I know some people that uses Pansat for receiver, but I have been advise by some one to get the VS2000 ext with a 31cm dish with a motor. Another person suggested the Coolsat 5K. I'm in Atlanta, GA and which to get the intelsat 801 at 31.5, what would you guys suggest as far as receiver and dish? would I be able to get this bird?
Is Pansat better then VS2k extr? and what about the Toroidal dish t55 and t90?

thks

I don't know if you can get that sat in ATL, I am up in Ball Ground and have trees in that direction, however I think it is aimed at Europe so you wouldn't be able to receive that one here. Also stay away from the t55 toroidal dishes (I have read that they don't work too good on fta). A motor is great, I don't have one because of trees (I use multiple dishes & a switch) but I am using the 36" dishes and they seem to work very good on the sat's that I am aimed at.

I know nothing about the VS2000, it's probably a good receiver, I can't think of anything bad I've heard or read about it. But, I know the Pansat is a good receiver, as I have one. I would highly recommend it. Also, I'll speak highly of the Coolsat 5000, I have one of these too. I'll also recommend it. Looking at lyngsat and Intelsat 801, they list only 3 FTA channels, 2 of which are on C-band and a 31cm dish will not receive them. Also, they and the other channel (ku-band) are on Spot Beams that don't go anywhere near Atlanta. So, if any of those channels is all you want, I wouldn't recommend getting into FTA. But, there are lot's of other channels on other sats that can be received, that you might be interested in. Look at:
http://www.lyngsat.com/
Look in the Atlantic and America Frequencies.

Al

thank you for the quick reply.
What I'am actually trying to do is to make sure that I get all my 2006 world cup games.
I hope that other channel can transmit the live feeds.

The T55 dish is the equivalent of a 20" dish...which wont work for FTA

The T90 will work but costs a lot to ship (very heavy)..

Iceberg, what is your take between coolsat 5k and vs2k. I am going to go with a motorise dish instead.
thks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)