Newbies Gone Wild

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you have the one-button SG-2100 version, there is a reset hole just next to the LED cover that contains a reset button reachable by a paper clip. Make sure you manually move the motor (using the east/west button) to '0' before resetting the motor.

Thank you Tron and Mike Kohl. Well the PVC idea didn't last long at all, as predicted by Mike. It is shimmed now with wood, but on the next round of mods, I am going to beef it up with metal... like another diameter of pipe. I should mention the photos that Anole directed me to: whoever put that rig together did not take any chances with slippage. He used several pieces of PVC of various diameters, all inserted together concentrically... like a child's puzzle, but man, what a tight fit it seemed to be in the pictures. I think that is what Anole had in mind when he first mention PVC possibilites.

I'll tell you what guys, the SG2100 literature says that it can handle up to a 1.2m dish, but I think that they are stretching it a bit.

Tron, I waited until dark so that I could see the LED display that my son had described the night before. After laying down on the roof to see up at the LED, I cell phoned down and had my wife kick on the AC power switch on the back of the receiver. Sure enough, there was a series of flashes as my son had described. I was holding the bottom of the dish up just enough to get it off of the extreme West stop, just in case it mattered, and then I saw the sequence: three quick orange (maybe yellow) flashes, followed by one red, then one green flash. Then darkness. After the flashes, I used a paper clip to hit the reset button, and then attempted to move the dish eastward using the manual button. Nothing happened, but now I think I know why. According to Tron's reply, which I just read a minute ago, I should have brought the arm to the zero point before pressing the reset. I guess that really matters, since I got no response. Thinking that the motor was now dead, I pulled the dish to the zero point (approximately) and left it there.

Deciding to leave the motor out of the process, I proceeded to work on elevation, since the dish had been pretty much pointing straight down the street towards a big tree in the distance. After three tries at different angles I came down to the living room and was amazed to hear a series of tones coming out of the TV, a bright yellow bar marked "quality" jumping up and down from about 40 to 75%, and the banner where my receiver had been left on "Galaxy 10R" now proclaimed "Echostar 7 119.0 W". After fooling with this thing for weeks, I was in shock. How could the receiver suddenly change the name of the satellite I was trying to install, AND include the longitude? I didn't tell it that, and the screen had not previously displayed longitude. The excitement quickly spread to Mom and son #1, both of whom had recently left the fold of believers.

Ah, but then the let down. After letting it finish that satellite, I tried scanning two others that seemed to be only a couple of degrees away. When done, the receiver told us that we now had 442 channels distributed among three satellites. But when I called up the master channel list, all of the channels had dollar signs next to them. When I figured out how to filter the list, we were told that we had zero FTA channels. Not one. And I was so careful to have the FTA selection made before searching for the channels. What a bummer. Again, I found myself alone... even son #3, upon arriving home from school, left the living room disappointed.

Can this be a quirk of the Viewsat PVR7000? The manual is not real clear on capturing FTA channels only, although it describes filtering to FTA after the fact.

Nothing happened, but now I think I know why. According to Tron's reply, which I just read a minute ago, I should have brought the arm to the zero point before pressing the reset. I guess that really matters, since I got no response. Thinking that the motor was now dead, I pulled the dish to the zero point (approximately) and left it there.
The motor will reset at any location (doesn't have to be at '0'), but wherever it is when you reset it will become the new '0' point, and you don't want '0' to be in the wrong location (your dish won't track the arc properly). You motor should still have power and move if you reset it in the wrong place, so I don't think not moving it to '0' first is causing the problem.

I guess I trashed the motor. But the series of flashes I saw... why such a display for a trashed motor? The booklet doesn't even include red as a possibility.

Okay, I'll get back to the motor and try that, but in the meantime we finally hit a satellite on the nose. I don't know how other receivers work, but the Viewsat PVR7000 emits a five tone series when you are in the Install - Antenna mode and are pointing straight at a satellite. With my #3 son's help, we lined up the center rod that holds up the LNB, with the sidewalk of the North-South street across from our house. We guessed that it was not going to be Magnetic South, but it would get us close. According to a site on the Internet, Sin City is located at 115°10'w and 36°5'n, and sure enough, after many guesses at the elevation, we hit SatMex 5, which is located at 116°8'w.
There were only two FTA channels, but Mom and #1 are believers again... #3 had never quite given up hope in FTA. But think about this: we have been using rabbit ears for years, so these are the clearest two channels we have ever seen. Now if we only knew what the people on the screen were talking about.
For our next sub-project, we are going to try to find Echostar 7.

You could always set up a small DBS dish (can often find these in the trash) on 119w for NASA and Angel One. NASA is one of my favorite FTA channels :)

After you find 119W, G18@123W is about 2mm (3/32) west rotation of your dish at the pole. Lots of channels on G18.
Bob

I had a terrible time with a sg2100 that I got from one of the sponsors here. It never did work and only made a single click sound when I tried to move it. Luckily I jumped to conclusions and ordered another one that worked flawlessly out of the box. I move a P* dish with mine and the sg2100 seems to do fine. Not as fast as I would like but it's a big hunk of a dish on a little motor. Oh yeah... hopefully the little crappy sticker they put on the motors that say 'Removing will void warranty' was actually glued onto your motor. Mine was already off and in the bottom of the box when I got it so I didn't bother returning the broken one.

I'm a noob. Can you tell me what a DBS dish is?

Say Moses Lake... is that far from Soap Lake? Auntie by marriage owns a trailer park there.

Another question. Instead of aiming my GeoSat Pro at 119.0, I would like to skip right over to 123.0, for the many channels there. So my question is, can I use that Dish 500 that I have sitting in the garage, if I swap out the LNB for a linear one? And if that is possible, could I park the dish 500 on 119.0 to get that NASA channel that was mentioned above?

DBS = Direct Broadcast Satellite = pay TV

Show us several photos of your little dishes.
I think I suggested this several weeks ago . . . :rolleyes:
We can select the easiest one to use for NASA @ 119°.

No change to LNB required.
It's equipped with a circular LNB, just like you need.

Yes, you did request a photo of the small stuff back then, but I was swamped with replies and advice. Now that we have a channel or two, I have some breathing room. The family members were getting antsy, as you can imagine.
Okay, I'm taking the camera out to the garage right now.

Here they are. The DirectTV dish was on the house when we bought it in 2004, and just sat up there unused until I removed it recently.

The Dish 500 I bought slightly used from a local dealer.

Attachments

• Original_DTV.JPG
    Original_DTV.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Dish500.JPG
    Dish500.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 126
I believe the Dish 500 is a Dish Pro Plus.
Should be a sticker on the LNB to identify it.
I see three screw-on connectors in your picture, so that's how I know.
It tends to pull a bit more power than the regular ones, so it wouldn't be my first choice.

Oddly enough, the DirecTV Phase III dish will work as-is pretty well.
Hookup is described by Iceberg in another thread.
I will hot-link it here in a few minutes (by editing this post). edit: done

I will give you this bit of advice for hooking up this dish with a diseqc switch to your existing LNB.
Always power down your receiver by the remote, give it a chance to save if necessary, then power-off the switch on the back of the receiver BEFORE making or breaking any LNB or switch connections.
The diseqc switches are a bit delicate and can be blown if you don't heed that simple advice.

Diseqc switch port #1 is the default at power-up, so inserting such a switch into a working system should not instantly break it.
However, you will have to set diseqc 1 for one of your LNBs and diseqc 2 for the other in the receiver set-up menu.

Last edited:
I thought that I needed to stay with a linear LNB to get FTA. Now you say I can use the DirectTV dish as is? And it has a circular LNB? Do I sound confused? That link went on for several pages, and I could not understand a lot of it.
Is NASA a FTA channel and yet sends out their signal in circular polarization?

One of those three lnbf's on that dish, is a Linear lnbf. The trick is all in the pointing of it?
I don't know which one is the Linear one, but I'm sure it's mentioned in the link Anole provided for you?

No, that NASA channel on 119, along with Angel One, are unencrypted channels on the Dish Network system.
Those, and a few useless channels are there for anyone to see.
I'm guessing that NASA requires it to be unencrypted by contract or something.

Only read the first page of the thread.
Second page goes into how to convert your Phase III to real FTA, using a linear LNB.
Not something you need to do today (but, maybe tomorrow) - :rolleyes:

But here is the jist of it as posted by Iceberg (correct thread, this time)

You need a 30 inch dish and linear LNB for about 99 percent of all FTA out there, since almost all of it is on FSS (Fixed Service Satellite) linear satellites. NASA and Angel One on 119w are uplinked by Dish Network for their customers, but are in the clear (unencrypted). There are a couple of other channels on 119w which are also unencrypted, but these are probably of no interest to you (pay-per-view order info channels and Dish 101, a video guide to the Dish Network service).

So a small pay service dish will work for the few unencrypted channels on Dish Network, and it is legal to view these as they are unencrypted.

EDIT: You're a fast lizard! What Anole said above :D

Thank you guys, for the plain English explanation. Time is now to hit the rack. I'll report in again Monday night.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)